Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0857 (resized).JPG
A9424443-2176-4AC7-9938-6EC46D58DF8C (resized).jpeg
8FC5718B-B81B-4CC6-8C42-9A086BA30508 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0856[1] (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

OK, I have a SM and everything is working fine, but the score motor makes a kind of wheeze at the end of each run. Maybe deeper than a wheeze, kind of a descending, short "wuhhh. " There is no sluggishness in score resets or any other problem, but is it heading for anything major, like a breakdown and relube? Thanks

#2 6 years ago

My Aztec, same year and motor as SM, makes the same sound. Was concerned at first, since none of my other wms EM's do this, but forgot about it since I have no issues.

#3 6 years ago

I own Space Mission as well as a bunch of other em games from all the manufacturers. It makes no different noise than any other machine except the swing target motor .
Do you own other ems?
If the score motor is making a noise at the end of the cycle it may be a dry bearing.
I had an unusual whine on the running man motor on my Upper Deck. I tore it apart and lubed the motor bearings and have not heard from it since.

#4 6 years ago

If I had to guess, it's probably the spindle connected to the clutch in the motor that's dragging or needs to be lubed. My Captain Fantastic did that for a while. Basically, when the motor is engaged, the small rotor is "sucked" into the stator housing through an electromagnetic force, and the friction it makes on the inner plate is what drives the rest of the gearbox. When the motor is disengaged, the magnetic field collapses, and a small spring forces the rotor back out of the housing.

With the game off, you should be able to press on the small "drum" on the motor, and should be kinda springy, but with smooth action, and no sticking. I fixed my issue by pulling the housing apart, and cleaning the gunk and stale grease out with some alcohol. I think in some manuals, it'll specify the motor's lubed parts. I don't recall if I put any grease on the spindle part--if I did, it was a *VERY* small amount of teflon lube gel. Either way, it corrected the noisy motor, and it's been buttery smooth since.

Just make sure you keep track of all the pieces/parts and their orientation. I recall having a bit of trouble getting things back together again. But I was younger, stupider, and less experienced then, so it might be a cakewalk for you guys.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks all! I do have other EMs and none make that noise. I'll check out that drum, etc.

#6 6 years ago

mbaumle-I don't see anything resembling a drum, even under the cover on the left. Any ideas?

IMG_0856[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0856[1] (resized).JPG

#7 6 years ago

It would be inside the motor under the cover on the left. Here’s a couple pictures from the web I found that hopefully show what I’m trying to explain.

This first picture shows where the “drum” would be inside the motor. Circled in red. You might need to use a small flat head screw driver to test it.

8FC5718B-B81B-4CC6-8C42-9A086BA30508 (resized).jpeg8FC5718B-B81B-4CC6-8C42-9A086BA30508 (resized).jpeg

Once you remove the two bolts, you can see the whole mechanism. Here it is disassembled:

A9424443-2176-4AC7-9938-6EC46D58DF8C (resized).jpegA9424443-2176-4AC7-9938-6EC46D58DF8C (resized).jpeg

Every motor is slight different from manufacture to manufacturer, but they all operate along the same principle.

#8 6 years ago

That's it, thanks! The noise was just from it spinning after it disengaged, so I cleaned it off and put a couple drops of oil on it. Bingo. (Oddly, the sm is hinged, which is nice)

IMG_0857 (resized).JPGIMG_0857 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-space-mission-odd-sm-noise?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.