Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160913_130953 (resized).jpg
20160913_130959 (resized).jpg
20160913_131001 (resized).jpg
Sound1 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi,

I have some problems with my Sound theme on my Williams Contact and has started to debug the problem from the Soundcard. When looking at my connector which is connected to the driver board pin 2,3,4,5 and 8 are connected with wires. That correspond to the wiring diagram! See attached picture of my Soundboard.

However, When I look at this video the same Soundboard is using pin 2,3,4,5 and 7!!! Look here:

Also this video use the same Soundboard and is using pin 2,3,4,5 and 7!!!

So what is right and what is wrong? Both Williams Contact and Flash are using Type 1 Board and same Sound1 ROM.

I may have found the root cause to my sound problem?

Br,
Michael

Sound1 (resized).JPGSound1 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

This is how mine looks

20160913_131001 (resized).jpg20160913_131001 (resized).jpg

20160913_130959 (resized).jpg20160913_130959 (resized).jpg

20160913_130953 (resized).jpg20160913_130953 (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

This is probably the reason certain people had trouble with flash not having background noise.

Disco Fever manual should help, its on IPDB. Find the wiring page, it will have the sound board plugs specified and what solenoid driver transistor each pin is connected to.

#4 7 years ago

Noticed first post has the 2 fuse version of the type 1 sound board while second post has 1-fuse version... Can't recall whether there are differences in the connector back to the driver but figured I would call the difference out so you can check.

FYI, I make replacement potentiometer boards and have switching regulator replacements for the 7805 on all these boards.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from rkahr:

Noticed first post has the 2 fuse version of the type 1 sound board while second post has 1-fuse version... Can't recall whether there are differences in the connector back to the driver but figured I would call the difference out so you can check.
FYI, I make replacement potentiometer boards and have switching regulator replacements for the 7805 on all these boards.
-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Williams system 3-7 sound board potentiometer solutions.

No difference on the signal input plug between the two versions. They are interchangeable.

#6 7 years ago

Hi,
If they are interchangeable - what is the reason Contact is using pin 2,3,4,5 and 8 and Flash is using pin 2,3,4,5 and 7?
I would expect it is a generic sound card for all Williams system 3-6 ?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from mflemmin:

Hi,
If they are interchangeable - what is the reason Contact is using pin 2,3,4,5 and 8 and Flash is using pin 2,3,4,5 and 7?
I would expect it is a generic sound card for all Williams system 3-6 ?

The games (may) be wired differently, but the boards are compatible. Different games may use different inputs patterns.

I have fixed and sold tons of these boards, no problems putting any rectangular sound board version in any game that takes a rectangular sound board.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks for valuable input.
I just checked Disco Fever manual as suggested and their it is stated that if "Sound Alternator" is wrong connected (or not working) the game will not play a Startup tune! I do not recall mine is playing any start-up tune so I will check the driver transistor for Sound Alternator in the weekend. Most likely this may be the root cause to the the problem.

If I understand correctly "Sound Alternator" input is not producing any sound as such but is somehow changing the 10, 100, 1000 , 10000 sounds? So for example if Sould Alternator is pulsed before "10 Sound", 10 sound will play the start-up tune.

BTW: When is the Start-up tune actually played - At Power-on ?

I will get back when I have done some more checking during the weekend.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from mflemmin:

Thanks for valuable input.
I just checked Disco Fever manual as suggested and their it is stated that if "Sound Alternator" is wrong connected (or not working) the game will not play a Startup tune! I do not recall mine is playing any start-up tune so I will check the driver transistor for Sound Alternator in the weekend. Most likely this may be the root cause to the the problem.
If I understand correctly "Sound Alternator" input is not producing any sound as such but is somehow changing the 10, 100, 1000 , 10000 sounds? So for example if Sould Alternator is pulsed before "10 Sound", 10 sound will play the start-up tune.
BTW: When is the Start-up tune actually played - At Power-on ?
I will get back when I have done some more checking during the weekend.

Im not sure exactly how WMS triggers there sounds. Some kind of encoded input pattern tho im sure. The background sounds are probably increased by some type of pulse pattern, but again i'm really not sure. I have a block LED i can fit on the input plug for the sound baord to see how different games behave with sound triggers.

2 weeks later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-soundboard-type-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.