(Topic ID: 602)

williams sorcerer wont play

By TXPLAYER05

14 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

everything looks fine but machine wont start, i sent in the pcb to the coin cauldron for repairs and i just got it back today and no luck...it will take the quarters and show a credit but nothing happens when i hit the start button, all of the tests seem to come up good, i reset it and still no luck. i need professional help and i know you guys are pros so hopefully you will give me good tips to try to fix it...thanks

#2 14 years ago

when i run the number 3 tests using the inside 3 buttons it goes from 03 36, to 03 35, 03 34, then it skips 33, 32, 31 and goes to 03 30...does this mean anything?

#3 14 years ago

Check your manual and see witch swithes are activeted..

Check your cable for continuity. Could be a bad connector somewhere.

#4 14 years ago

According to my 1979 Williams Solid State Flipper Maintenance Manual, functions 31-35 are unique game adjustments specific to the machine. 30 controls the number of balls (3 or 5), 29 the max number of tilts, etc.

Here's a manual that may help you if you don't already have it: ebay Item number: 370185675346

#5 14 years ago

Grab the manual off ipdb (link in other post). We'll help all we can but it's not easy troubleshooting via forum but we try. Is the ball being sensed in the trough by the switch there ? No ball = no start. Benboogaard mentioned this in checking your switches.

#6 14 years ago

Check where the ball rests in the machine, I guarantee the switch needs adjusted or re soldered. Another thing to check is the door switch, the game won't start if the switch thinks the door is open.

an easy way to check the door switch is as follows:

remove back glass
open to reveal PCBs
turn machine on
Make sure coin door is closed
On the CPU board look near the center ( there should be a # lit on the board) if it's "0" your processor booted correctly - "7" it has a system failure ( corrupted on boot up )
you need to pinpoint the problem.

If your system shows "0" continue to next steps
Look near right bottom edge of the cpu board, look for sw2 and press it
if the coin door switch is working "5" should appear on the cpu board ( 5 means the solenoid test cant test due to door being closed ) = your door switch is good

If the door switch is good

- check the trough switch where the ball rests
move the switch w/your finger while pressing start - did the game fire up?
if not check the solder connections on the switch - did this work?
if no - Get out your DMM and make sure you have power to it and the switch is good.

Hope this helps!!!!
GL

#7 14 years ago

I'm having the exact same problem with the same machine posted here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-williams-1985-system-9-game-will-not-start

The ball trough switches seem to be OK but I haven't checked the door switch. I'll go through the procedure posted above when I can get to my shop (snow!) and report back.

#8 14 years ago

Post of the day by Muscle Cars Only, good stuff.

#9 14 years ago

TXplayer or NSmith1002,

I'm curious???
Did either of you get the machine up and running? If so, please post the fix. If you both have identical issues, Might help with a quick fix in the future for someone or if one of you figured it out and the other hasn't It might help them.

If both of you had no luck, post up also and I'll take some detailed pics of components for you to focus on.

P.S. There's not a lot of documented info out there that's system 9 specific due to only a few machines utilizing it.

1 week later
#10 14 years ago

Well, I late reporting back, but my Sorcerer still won't start.

The LED on the CPU board indicates that the door switch is good and as detailed here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-williams-1985-system-9-game-will-not-start
ALL lights, switches and solenoids work OK in Test Mode. The machine's "attract mode" appears normal (i.e. lights flash in attention getting patterns). The start switch is GOOD as is it's diode. There is continuity on both wires from the start switch back to the CPU board. The switches in the ball trough are GOOD and are activated properly by the balls. The game itself will not start. Perhaps I should say the game's PROGRAM will not start. The ROM self tests indicate they are good (no errors) and I have carefully re-seated all socketed chips on the board.

I'm probably going to take this machine back to it's owner and say "sorry, I can't get it to work". This has been a big disappointment to me as I've been working on pinball machines for almost 20 years now and this is the first time I tried to do a repair outside of my job. It's also the first time I've encountered any problem like this one, Usually when everything works in the Test Mode, the game program itself will run.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-sorcerer-wont-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.