Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I have a Williams Slugfest that is not sensing the ball when it is hit into play. Basically every time it registers the hit as a foul ball.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Foul ball switch stuck closed ? There is a switch test in there.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

I will check this out!

#4 4 years ago

Its switches 61,62 and 63. Bleacher switches for home run. These are optos according to the manual. I cant find where they are. Can I unplug them somehow to test?

#5 4 years ago

Its not showing up in the test but it looks like switches 41 through 47 in the Outfield are also not working. Closing these switches during a switch Edge test produces no result so somewhere there's a bad connection I'm thinking?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from RetroRyan:

Its not showing up in the test but it looks like switches 41 through 47 in the Outfield are also not working. Closing these switches during a switch Edge test produces no result so somewhere there's a bad connection I'm thinking?

Meter in hand, check conitnuity of wiring from them to the board in the head.

Quoted from RetroRyan:

Its switches 61,62 and 63. Bleacher switches for home run. These are optos according to the manual. I cant find where they are. Can I unplug them somehow to test?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Opto_Switches Pinwiki will help.

#7 4 years ago

@LTG, since none of the Outfield switches are working would this indicate that there is a connection issue somewhere? Switches 41 through 47 and 61 through 63 do not work. Is there a particular component in the game that would wipe out all of those at once?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from RetroRyan:

Is there a particular component in the game that would wipe out all of those at once?

No, sounds like individual issues. Broken wire involving 41 through 47 and 61 through 63.

Grab a meter and check wiring from 41 through 47 and 61 through 63 from each switch to the board in the head.

#9 4 years ago

Thank you LTG I will trace these and report back!

#10 4 years ago

@LTG, checked continuity from gr-yel wire at switches 41-47 to gr-yel wire at J207/pin 4 and all show continuity. So, signal is reaching switches from board at J207. Break in the chain must be before J207. Also, all switches are showing 12 volts DC. Thoughts?

#11 4 years ago

LM339 on board ?

#12 4 years ago

You should post this in the Slugfest club. Not really a modern game. more of an early SS.
That being said, ignore the optos as those are normally closed switches. The target switch bank has a tight cable but you can pull the whole assembly out if you remove the metal brackets on the side and carefully pull out.
The cable coming off the target bank is really tight and it travels out the access hole to the mpu. Start by looking for a loose cable on the bottom of the mpu.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

You should post this in the Slugfest club. Not really a modern game. more of an early SS.
That being said, ignore the optos as those are normally closed switches. The target switch bank has a tight cable but you can pull the whole assembly out if you remove the metal brackets on the side and carefully pull out.
The cable coming off the target bank is really tight and it travels out the access hole to the mpu. Start by looking for a loose cable on the bottom of the mpu.

Checked connections and all are good. Continuity to all switches 41-47.

@LTG, LM339 looks good on both opto boards. Is there a way to test these?

Right now just switches 61-63 showing up in test report.

#14 4 years ago

Also of note, I discovered that switch 51 the rear ball trough which is not actuating in switch Edge test. Check continuity to the back box and the wires to the switch are good. Rigged the switch closed with jumpers and turned the game on and it showed in test report. Maybe this is not actually a problem but I just wanted to bring it to light...

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from RetroRyan:

Is there a way to test these?

I'm not sure. Logic probe, maybe ?

You'd have to study up on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-slugfest-not-reading-hits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.