You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

Hello:
Looking for some advice on a diagnosis for this this game. We have owned this for several years, and it did this intermittently, but now it happens more frequently.
What happens is when you push "start" to begin a game, everythin g seems to cycle properly, resets the score reels, and the out hole coil pulses weakly, not hard enough to send to ball to the shooter gate. As a result, the ball rolls back, the machine thinks it is ball over, pulses again, decrements a ball count, then the ball rolls back....until all 5 balls are "used" and the machine thinks it is game over.
Attached are 2 short Youtube videos to illustrate the issue.
Trouble shooting suggestions?

Thanks.
Mike

#2 5 years ago

I would try and clean the score motor switch 4A which is the bottom switch on the score motor on the 5th cam starting from the actual motor.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2202/Williams_1974_Skylab_Schematic_submitted_by_Steve_Corley.pdf

#3 5 years ago

Is this the correct switch you are referencing?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from 82Trooper:

Is this the correct switch you are referencing?[quoted image]

Wrong switch...you’re referencing 5E... you should be looking at switch 4A, which is a part of the ball release coil trip circuit.. I just fixed this same issue on my Williams Gulfstream that shares the same circuit as your game... the switch gap was too far apart... could also be dirt on the switch contact(s).

#5 5 years ago

Got it...this one....

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

Ok, so I got to my dad's place for the holiday weekend (that is where this game us set up). I cleaned the switch as above, and it appears I fixed the initial issue. However, a secondary issue developed right away. Hit the start button, game cycles, kicks the ball out the outhole into the shooter lane (that was problem #1, now working). But then the game immediately cycles thru all 4 remaining balls, as if it thinks the game is over.

I was very cautious in cleaning the switch on the score motor cam, as there are so any things to "bump' there, to not touch or disturb any other switch than what I was cleaning. But I guess it is possible. I am a big subscriber to the theory that the next thing that goes wrong is usually related to the last thing you messed with...

Here is a video....any thoughts?

Thanks.
Mike

#7 5 years ago

Thursday Bump (my cry for help....)

#8 5 years ago

Check to see if the outhole switch is closed. It look like the machine thinks you are at end of ball.

I would double check the switch in post #5.

#9 5 years ago

Check the ball index relay for sticking or staying energized. The relay should release after each ball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
La Fayette, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-skylab-outhole-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.