Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
20180510_170953 (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi,wanted to start new topic.heres where I'm at.when I push start,machine lock relay comes on .score motor turns 1/4 turn .coin relay and reset relay energize for couple of seconds .banks do not reset .credit wheel goes down 1 credit.score reels reset .problem .relay banks don't reset ( new fuse).tilt relay and game relay trip.no power to playfield,flippers ect.if I leave tilt relay and game relay tripped and try start machine credit wheel keeps firing ,score motor keeps turning score reels do nothing,and again reset banks dont reset.any help (sos!!!)ha ha.thank you.

#2 5 years ago

Ok.i went over the relay bank switches again.tilt,game ,game over ect..on start up.relay banks are now resetting.score reels went to zero.credit unit went down 1 credit.had playfield coil power the first time I tried to start.now no power to pf coils.any help.would like to trouble shoot one prob at a time.again thanks.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

now no power to pf coils.any help.would like to trouble shoot one prob at a time.again thanks.

Start by looking at these 3 switches that control power to the playfield.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#4 5 years ago

Hi howard.glad you showed up.ha ha ,and by the way ( I don't think cleaning jones plugs qualifies as a shotgun approach) ha ha . ( still laughing ).i read another forum you were on last night. I seen myself.ha ha ( still laughing).and thought ,I bet Howard thought of me and if he wanted to hear my opinion he would squeeze my head.ha ha.seriously though, I will look at those again and report back.again thanks for the rescue.i feel I'm close now .

#5 5 years ago

Hi Howard,I think I'm making progress.everywhere double red wires lead .tilt relay,one point relay ect.i have corroded contacts.seems they installed crappy contacts to every relay switch double reds connect to.following all the way back to jones plugs.still changing switches out.have not plugged in yet to see if that's the prob.feel it is though.will update tommorrow. P.s.did have pitted contacts on reset relay.blue wire going to make ,break switch.

#6 5 years ago

Hi Howard,making progress.(i think)when I pushed start button machine went to game over.i then removed balls from the three switches in trough .restarted machine.no game over light,playfield has good power.problem now.game relay and no1 special relays trip when I push start button,(not game over relay).and ball gate does not open.if i manually pull down game relay ,gate does open but wont hold reset position.also no1 score reel sticks on and hums.no 1 relay also stuck on,but feel that could be shorted( one point) switch on playfield.i think seperate problem .not sure though.any suggestion where to look?.im kinda stumped on the two relays tripping on start up.

#7 5 years ago

Hi Brian,
First things to fix are coils that stick on because otherwise they'll burn up. Most likely a switch on the playfield is activating the 1 Point relay. So if the 1 Point relay is sticking on too, try unplugging to playfield to see if the problem is there.

#8 5 years ago

Hi Howard,you are a genius.went to work on it this morning.where 1 point switches connect to double red .wires under playfield were not grounded.once I did that.relay did not stick,machine reset good. (1 problem left.)if I'm facing machine,left side 1 point switches (have four)are not working and one point score reel sometimes don't reset to zero.would that be switch on 1 point relay?score reel 0-9 switch ?or do i need to ground switch better? ,go over switches again.?also i couldnt believe the number one score reel had that affect on ball gate. ( fixed problem) .Again you are expert.cant thank you enough!I was still looking at previous schem ( tilt ,game relays area for problem.the banks threw me off.glad you were there to correct me.

#9 5 years ago

one point score reel sometimes don't reset to zero.

Have a look at this switch.

#10 5 years ago

Hi Howard,again you are correct .you were right about reset relay,( switch with green wire/ blue trace.i had it gapped to wide.that made huge difference in score reels resetting.only problem I have now is 1 point switches (4) on left side (yellow gate side) ,won't score,I found 2 grounds that were not connected ,but did not fix problem.looking thru schem.i see off of game relay a 1 point switch connecting to no match e.o.s.switch,thought I would look at both. ( score reels 1 and 10s and no match unit.).does that sound right.again thank you .i will wait for your advice before I screw something up.ha ha.

#11 5 years ago

1 point switches (4) on left side (yellow gate side) ,won't score

Diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

#12 5 years ago

Hi Howard.found problem.i bought this machine about 18 months ago. ( i was dumber than a newbie) ha ha.anyway I was gonna put some new switches on it to dress it up.that was problem.like a fool, I did without looking closely at switches.(see pic) I put switches in without noticing the ( metal bakelite).duh!!! Ha ha. ( I know your either laughing or want to strangle me).ha ha.but problem is solved.jumper is what it called for.was able to see my mistake.again thanks Howard.now only problem is score reel.( 1 point reel ) ,scores 11 points instead of one point. When one point switch on playfield is hit.it makes 10 point reel move up one step also.is that the 0-9 switches in both reels?. Again thanks for your patience with me.(i feel like big dummy over switch problem).ha ha.i will wait for your reply.in meantime I will clean old switches and put back on.again thanks Howard.

20180510_170953 (resized).jpg20180510_170953 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

Howard,forgot to say thanks for teaching me a little bit more about schems,I was looking for individual playfield switches,did not know they were called stand up switches.i seen it on schem ,but did not recognize it as playfield switches.after you repair my machine.ha ha. ( you deserve the credit).can I ask you what a few other symbols mean?.i would like to know for future reference.again thank you.

#14 5 years ago

score reel.( 1 point reel ) ,scores 11 points instead of one point. When one point switch on playfield is hit.it makes 10 point reel move up one step also.is that the 0-9 switches in both reels?. Again thanks for your patience with me.(i feel like big dummy over switch problem).ha ha.i will wait for your reply.in meantime I will clean old switches and put back on.again thanks Howard.

Hi Brian, No worries, glad I could help. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. I started working on these when I was in high school and I'm retired now so it's been a while.
Re scoring 11 points instead of 1, this switch is probably stuck closed.

can I ask you what a few other symbols mean?.i would like to know for future reference.again thank you.

Sure glad to. Post here or if you'd like to talk on the phone, PM me your contact information.

#15 5 years ago

Hi Howard.just got back to working on machine today .will update as soon as I'm finished adjusting switches in score reels( many old ,frayed wire connections).this machine was basket case also.ha ha.but will post tommorrow. Thanks.

#16 5 years ago

Hi Howard.bad news on machine.tilt relay keeps activating and game lights come on when plugged in.did change one switch that was burnt on 25 cent relay.thats when problem started.rebuilt the three tilt switches. ( thought they were shorted.)not the solution.also tilt bob.checked switches on relay itself.no luck.somthing is tripping that relay.could it be crossed wire. ( maybe reason machine was sold to me) don't know.totally stumped on this one.also know that when machine was almost working ( except one point issue).tilt did not work.i tried the tilt bob.any suggestions.again thanks.

#17 5 years ago

Here are the 7 switches that can activate the Tilt relay. If all look OK start unsoldering their Yellow&Red wires for most, Black&Yellow on Game Over relay.
Does that make sense?

#18 5 years ago

Thanks Howard,yes,will try it.i did find one shorted switch on 1 point playfield switch by process of elimination.will report back.thanks.

#19 5 years ago

Ok.diconnected the wires.this time.i plugged in machine lights came on.pushed start,machine acted like it reset,but now.lock relay won't hold in and no playfield power.also I tried to push start button again .had power for about ten seconds,ball gate lifted,power to playfield,ect...then playfield power went dead.i hope I'm describing symptoms correctly.again thanks Howard.

#20 5 years ago

Thought I would post pic.wanted to verify wires were connected to correct lug.

15265050278952025771799 (resized).jpg15265050278952025771799 (resized).jpg

1526505174840304049702 (resized).jpg1526505174840304049702 (resized).jpg

15265053182891286156461 (resized).jpg15265053182891286156461 (resized).jpg

#21 5 years ago

I wanted to show wires,first pic is tilt relay,second is game,third is game over relay switches.

#22 5 years ago

... but now.lock relay won't hold in ...

If the Lock relay won't hold in, you may have disconnected this switch.

#23 5 years ago

Hi Howard.i don't think that's the switch.here is pic of lock relay.are you talking about brown/ gray wire (69).switch on relay.i cleaned it,but no luck. will go over switches I cleaned before in previous post to see if that is issue.wondering do you think wires are bad to those relays.

15265140726041769177357 (resized).jpg15265140726041769177357 (resized).jpg

#24 5 years ago

are you talking about brown/ gray wire (69).switch on relay.

No

do you think wires are bad to those relays.

Extremely unlikely

#25 5 years ago

Hi Howard,sorry,my brain got confused.knock off switch.got ya.my bad.was about to ask where that was,ha ha.duh!!!.hold on .will be back shortly.other machine also had shorted knock off switch.i just soldiered wires together on that one.will try rebuild switch and update.again sorry .Again thanks.

#26 5 years ago

Howard,again I was wrong.i cut wire to knock off switch instead of slam switch.ha ha. (Was just testing you ha ha)reconnected.lock relay now pulls in ,so please disregard that post.ok.( i guess today wasnt my day)anyway ,now when I plug in machine.lights are off until I hit start button.everything resets.just no playfield power and again ball gait does not release.im going to look at previous switches (tilt relay,game relay.game over relay)again .Again sorry about previous post.will update tommorrow.

#27 5 years ago

Hi Howard,went over bank switches again.tilt,game,ect..and where they connect to jones plugs.game started correctly.now my only 2 problems are (1)during scoring credit wheel keeps adding credits ( replays).unplugged credit ( score adjustment in back box).no help.(2)also adjusted score reels .still scores 11 points.haha.anyway.i appreciate you hanging in there with me. And your patience with me on this.i feel this time around I'll get it right.and I really don't care if tilt works.not really needed if machine will work without it.

#28 5 years ago

(1)during scoring credit wheel keeps adding credits ( replays)

Concentrating on 1 problem at a time, what's the 25 Cent relay doing when this happens?
I can't remember -- did I offer to talk to you on the phone?

#29 5 years ago

The relay does nothing.also I noticed it only adds credits when ball hits slingshots and 1 point switches.and yes you can call me.my cell is (636)638-7453.again thanks.

#30 5 years ago

Hi Howard.i adjusted switches on credit wheel.one switch only closes for second when credit is added or subtracted.the other two switches were closed.i opened the bottom switch.game did not add any during play.would like to know if this is correct.again thanks.

1 week later
#31 5 years ago

Hi Brian,
I started to send you a text and thought about calling, but IIRC your cell reception isn't very good.
On your questions about specific switches, wire colors and pictures work better for me to understand the switch you're looking at.
H.

#32 5 years ago

Hi Howard.i figured out the problem with machine.my one point relay switches have 3 lugs soldiered together .I mistakenly soldiered wire to all four.disconnected last one.problem solved.again thank you.it was just one of those things I had to figure by myself to better understand my machine.will go back and reconnect tilt switches.again thanks.and to everyone else who was part of this forum.

#33 5 years ago

20180507_214507 (resized).jpg20180507_214507 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-skill-pool-start-up-issues?hl=pinballbrian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.