• Latest reply 8 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2727.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Anyone here ever seen or played this one? It was Williams' first AAB game. Designed by Steve Kordek.

I'm not generally an AAB guy but this one might be worth a look.

#2 9 years ago

There's been one that pops up for sale in KS or MO every so often it seems (same game, just re-listed).

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, there's one for sale here now. Fairly rare game with only 650 made.

Given that it's their first AAB and Steve Kordek was on a roll in the early 60s with great playing games, I just wondered if anyone else has ever seen or played it. The price is reasonable, sort of a piece of history I guess.

#4 9 years ago

There was one at the MGC a couple years ago. I really wanted to try it but it was always busy when I was nearby. At some point someone reproduced the "Add-A-Ball" version back glass for this game. You still see one pop up every now and then.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

There was one at the MGC a couple years ago. I really wanted to try it but it was always busy when I was nearby. At some point someone reproduced the "Add-A-Ball" version back glass for this game. You still see one pop up every now and then.

Interesting. I wonder who did that? According to IPDB, they only made a few before Gottlieb told them they couldn't use that name any longer.

#6 9 years ago

Not sure, but it looked nice and a little more interesting historically.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Anyone here ever seen or played this one? It was Williams' first AAB game. Designed by Steve Kordek.
I'm not generally an AAB guy but this one might be worth a look.

Not an AAB fan either... and still think 'Add-A-Ball' or 'Skill Ball'... is a great game.

Like '3 Coins' though... the trick will be to find one without a tore-up glass. They did this glass quite awhile back but those are long gone. I know I saw one of these reproductions over at Sam Harvey's house, which is where I also played the game. The glass looked really good but seems like I remember it missing a small blackbird in the artwork.

#8 9 years ago

My friend has one. Really fun game. 2 Gobble holes and a swinging target make it lots of fun.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Not an AAB fan either... and still think 'Add-A-Ball' or 'Skill Ball'... is a great game.
Like '3 Coins' though... the trick will be to find one without a tore-up glass. They did this glass quite awhile back but those are long gone. I know I saw one of these reproductions over at Sam Harvey's house, which is where I also played the game. The glass looked really good but seems like I remember it missing a small blackbird in the artwork.

The glass on this one looks pretty good. I haven't seen it in person yet but in the picture it looks ok.

Certainly something bgresto could do.

#10 9 years ago

It's been for sale for so long, I've wondered why it hasn't sold. $350 isn't a bad gamble to just try it out.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

The glass on this one looks pretty good. I haven't seen it in person yet but in the picture it looks ok.
Certainly something bgresto could do.

Yes, bgresto might be the only hope for getting some of these great sixties Williams glasses made that haven't been done already.

Because you know Shay or Ron Webb aren't likely to do them. And 'who' could blame them, as there just isn't the demand like there is for the Gottlieb titles. And these guys are already sitting on a ton of glass. I know Ron is, so you can imagine how much Shay has got. And that is why I say, please try to support them by buying existing titles, not only to beautify your games but also helping the hobby in the process.

But alas! The word is out on these wonderful player's games. And it should get out even more now with high profile guys like Vic Camp, building another game room for this very reason... I understand?

And I for one am glad to hear it.... maybe I'll jump on the sixties Williams bandwagon myself. : )

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

It's been for sale for so long, I've wondered why it hasn't sold. $350 isn't a bad gamble to just try it out.

I'm really tempted. I don't really have the room for it, I'm not an AAB guy, but I am an early 60s Williams/Steve Kordek guy.

It's a short drive for me, I can always just walk out if I don't think it's good enough/can't get a little off the price. I don't need a restoration project, I've got three of them right now, so it would have to be something I could just shop out and play for awhile.

#13 9 years ago

I own a Skill ball that is scheduled for restoration but its backglass was so bad it couldn't be used. I managed to get a repro Add a ball glass for it instead as it's the identical game; the name change only came about due to branding/name issues, as has been mentioned. I have heard of about 5 in existence here in the UK, including my machine.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Gottlieb-EM:

I own a Skill ball that is scheduled for restoration but its backglass was so bad it couldn't be used. I managed to get a repro Add a ball glass for it instead as it's the identical game; the name change only came about due to branding/name issues, as has been mentioned. I have heard of about 5 in existence here in the UK, including my machine.

Funnily enough there is one for sale here -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291411172165?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2 months later
#15 8 years ago

I saw one at the Allentown Pinfest last month. It went for 350 and was restored by someone who brought it from Pittsburgh. The swinging target was new to me and fun to shoot for.

IMG_2727.JPGIMG_2727.JPG

#16 8 years ago

I say if it is close that you go and play some games on it and give it a try. I am not an AAB fan either but I am liking the AAB features on my 2 player Gottlieb Big Top. It is fun to see how many AABs I can rack up on one ball. (4 so far). The max at one time is 5. It looks like one of those throw away games meaning you buy it, play it for a few months of enjoyment and then move on and get your minimal money back. The best thing that can happen is you end up keeping it. That wouldn't be so bad.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-skill-ball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.