5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballprowess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

When credit button is pushed, game doesn't start at player 1 but rather player 2. Odd thing is, when playing a game with 3 or 4 players, the game DOES start at player 1 upon reset. Doesn't make sense to me but hopefully someone could shed some light on this.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What are the Player Unit stepup and reset solenoids doing when this happens?

I will have to get my buddy over here and watch what is going on in the head (which is where the player unit is) when he is playing the game and report back then. Thanks

#4 5 years ago

Looks like the information I first gave was incorrect about it only doing this when 2 players are involved. And the reason for this, was that this is what I observed at the time. But that just happened to be a coincidence, because it does it on players 2, 3 and 4. Which at least makes more sense. Now I know the player unit coil is not getting pulsed, at least not all the time. Now, I just have to find out why, which I haven't had much luck with. I know it's not the reset coil on the player unit because if I press the credit button again, it goes to player 1 like it should initially.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What's the Player Reset relay doing when the Player Unit reset coil misses its pulse?

The Player Reset relay doesn't pull in when I press the reset button. When I press the credit button the second time and it then goes to player one... I see the Player Reset relay still doesn't move, at least not for this function.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Pinballprowess
besides the problem You have - can You play a game through all the balls ?
(End of post-4) "If I (You) press the credit button again, it goes to player-1 like it should initially" - where is the ball when You press the Credit Button again ? in the Outhole between the flipper bats ? or in the Shooter Lane ready to be launched ? Greetings Rolf

Yes, you can play a game through all 5 balls just fine... and for 1,2,3 or 4 players as well.

After you first press the credit button, the game resets and the last thing it does, is kick the ball out to the shooter lane.... so that part works fine as it always has in the past.

The sole problem is it not going to Player 1 sometimes on reset.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Pinballprowess
in post-1 You wrote about "game with 3 or 4 players" - in post-4 You somewhat corrected post-1. So in post-4 You write "it does it on players 2, 3 and 4". Does this means: When You play One-Player-Games then You never have the problem "New game starts on Player-Two" ?
But when the game before was an 2,3,4 player game: Then when You start for a new game - then You have the fault ?
Maybe the spring wound around the axis on the Player-Unit has not enough tension / power to make the unit do the full reset - just resetting to position 2nd player ? Greetings Rolf

To question 1... Yes, when only playing one player... no problem. Because you are starting and ending on player one, so it is already 'there' when you start a new game. And yes again... when you end on a different number of players, that is where the next game starts, that's the problem. It should always start on player one. Of course... like they all should.

And to your next question... I thought about that myself, about the Player Unit spring not having enough tension to bring it back, so I put another wind on the spring. But that didn't solve the problem so I put it back to where it was because it was 'over wound' at that point.

But please let this go for now, because I've got someone slated to come over who is one of the best EM techs in the land.

But I will report back when I find out what it was and let you know. Sure appreciate your help, Rolf. Thanks so much

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the Ball Count Unit reset and then step up when you press the reset button?
The manual will probably have more details about the reset sequence, do you have it? The one on IPDB is incomplete.
[quoted image]

I didn't see it reset and then step up... it just resets. To ball one I presume.

And no, I don't have the manual. Would be nice to have for that matter.

But as I wrote to Rolf... please let this go for now.

I will report back to you two and let you know just what the 'you know what' it WAS!

I've looked and looked and looked at various relays and tried different things until I'm blue in the face. Usually, I can fix these things without 'too' much trouble... but this one has me baffled and yelling UNCLE!

And when I say, I can usually fix these things... that is typically (not always) with help from more knowledgeable people. I wouldn't have a hope to repair these things without people like you in the pinball community. Thank you, HowardR

3 weeks later
#14 5 years ago

Okay... sorry about the delay.

Of course I don't need to tell you, do I? ... that it worked just fine when he got here.

But even so... here are the things he looked at: The coin relay (which I never looked at) the player unit (which I looked at over and over) and also a sets of motor points that step up the player unit (which I had checked and cleaned before)

But the thing he thought was the CULPRIT... was the plunger on the coil that resets the player unit back to player one when starting a game. It was very sluggish when it operated. I had noticed this and thought I addressed this issue by spraying some good lubricant on the plunger and also the arm that goes into this slotted plunger. But apparently that didn't do the trick. He took the arm off the shaft and cleaned it really well inside and also the shaft itself. Which is something I should have done but didn't. There were also four springs on the stepper when there should have only been two. Someone before I owned the game tried to fix the problem in this manner and I didn't catch it.

The world's oldest fledgling tech fails again.

Anyway, when HE got done with it, the game resets to player one now as it should and I haven't had the problem since.

You just can't beat experience.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballprowess.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-shangri-la-reset-problem?tu=Pinballprowess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.