• Latest reply 5 years ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Shangri-La-pinside-OHR-Work-A (resized).jpg
Shangri La outhole relay (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

Hi austinmgrant +
I started to play pinball in the very late 1960ies - Shangri La was my first love. By now I have one --- one of the best 2-inch flipper-bat pins. We may come to talk about "Extraball" feature --- see the JPG: Along "my brown X" we can make an Special-Replay - well, we seldom make an Special Replay --- to troubleshoot on Your problem: The "my brown X wiring" is not good to help us.

Whenever there is a "seldom fault" I like to use Test-Lights*** --- MarkG : I have taken Your JPG (post-2) and added "blue" Test-Lights***. We toggle-off (respectively unplug the main power cord) - hook-on permanent one or more Test-Light(s)*** - we plug-in (toggle-on), start a game and play --- we play many games and have an eye on the Test-Light(s)***. Long wires on the Test-Lights - coming out of the open coin-door, Test-Light(s)*** (insulated) laying on the apron. We play and play - when the seldom fault shows up - question: What did the Test-Light(s)*** do ?

See the JPG - mounted "blue-5": The Test-Light*** must be lit all the time,
"blue-4": most of the time lit - "unlit when the motor turns for some reason",
"blue-3": most of the time lit - "unlit when the motor turns for some reason",
"blue-2": lites up when the ball-lost enters the outhole,
"blue-1": lites up when current reaches the coil on outhole-relay.

The difference "test-blue-5 versus test-blue-4": We test the switch on Score-Motor-Ind-C.
The difference "test-blue-4 versus test-blue-3": We test the connecting wire of color-BR-B.
The difference "test-blue-3 versus test-blue-2": We test the Outhole-Switch.
The difference "test-blue-2 versus test-blue-1": We test the connecting wire of color-BLU-Y.

No need to make You 5 Test-Lights*** - One is enough - You may start testing "hooked-up as blue-2" - EVERY TIME You loose a played ball and it enters the Outhole: DOES the Test-Light light-up ?

Test-Light*** - when You can buy 24VAC lamps / bulbs: Buy --- otherwise: SteveFury shows "12Volt car-bulbs put one behind the other make an nice Test-Light***: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reading-gottlieb-schematics#post-2634425 Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-pinside-OHR-Work-A (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-pinside-OHR-Work-A (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago

Hi austinmgrant
this post is only theory. Maybe the text (JPG in post-2, drawing of Index-Cam) "Outhole-Relay DELAY" is confusing - what means DELAY ?
On Shangri La we may loose the ball through on Outlane. If it is lit: We get 300 points. Making 300 points needs the help of a turn of the Score-Motor (180 degrees). Making 300 points takes some time. IF (if, if) the ball rushes through an Outlane and enters the Outhole: The making of 300 points has not completely done. Nice invention of the Williams engineers - making 300 points have the motor to turn - AFTER making the 300 points: The motor runs out, reaches Home-Position - NOW the switchstack on the Index-Cam moves back - the part / switch Index-C closes - NOW the Outhole-Relay is allowed to pull-in to do the stuff needed "when a ball is lost". Greetings Rolf

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-shangri-la-random-outhole-relay-failure?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.