Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Shangri-La-Relay-Bank-medium (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Shangri La Game Over (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hello, somebody could give me a direction please?
Startup sequence looks normal. Decrasing a credit, motor turning, resetting scores, relaybank resets, shooting ball in shooting lane. But then when I shoot the ball, nothing happens: no bumper or slingshot reaction, no outlane switch or rollover reactions, flippers not reacting, ball drains and ready for next player.

#2 5 years ago

Game over relay with a closed switch.

#3 5 years ago

The Ball Count unit might need adjustment. It may not be lined up correctly. Does '1' show on Ball in play?

#4 5 years ago

There are two switches that can cut one of the power rails to much of the game
Shangri La Game Over (resized).jpgShangri La Game Over (resized).jpg
One is on the Game Over relay as @phil-lee suggests, the other is on the Reset relay. If either of those isn't closing or is dirty you might see the symptoms you describe.

There's a schematic on ipdb.org too.

/Mark

#5 5 years ago

Game over relay looks ok, but I will check better tomorrow.
Ball count works fine.

#6 5 years ago

Sorry guys but I checked the reset and game over relays but they seem to work fine. Maybe another symptom: when I begin a game, after the ball drain, the ball shoots back in the shooter lane but ball 1 stays on. Player lights (1up, 2up,...) don’t work (but that was already when I began working on it and it played normal). When I manualy activate the ball count unit, the game goes on to 2nd ball, etc. to game over.
The problem began when I had a shortcut: the spring that turns the coin unit lost grip and touched a wire of the coil that resets the ball#. I had to change the fuse for the 24v circuit.
Already thanks for your help.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from GTV6:

after the ball drain, the ball shoots back in the shooter lane but ball 1 stays on.

When set up for a 1 player game, If the Ball Count Stepup solenoid doesn't activate, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#8 5 years ago

Ok, HowardR, the red-white wire between coin unit and ball count step up coil is bad. Will solder it now.
This don’t solve the other troubles, but this is a step in the good direction.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from GTV6:

Ok, HowardR, the red-white wire between coin unit and ball count step up coil is bad. Will solder it now.
This don’t solve the other troubles, but this is a step in the good direction.

You're welcome

Quoted from GTV6:

Player lights (1up, 2up,...) don’t work

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires,
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#10 5 years ago

Well, still stuck on the same place. The wire i tought was bad wasn’t. I putted the crocodile wire on the wrong wire. Wires are old and dirty. Very difficult to find the wires between r-w, r-y, etc.
I found out that the Ball index relay doesn’t activate by itself. That’s why there is no ball count after ball drain. If I push the ball index relay it locks, I simulate a ball drain and the ball count stepup coil works, then the ball index relay unlocks.
But... everything came the same moment.
What’s not working: ball count, bumpers, rotating switch, roll overs, outlane switches, slingshots.
What’s working: gi, start up sequence, resetting scores, credits incrasing and decrasing, ball shooting to shooter lane.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from GTV6:

I found out that the Ball index relay doesn’t activate by itself.

Check these two make/breaks. Both lead into that relay.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from GTV6:

What’s not working: ball count, bumpers, rotating switch, roll overs, outlane switches, slingshots.

To me this sounds like a playfield Jones Plug hooked up incorrectly or dirty/damaged.

#13 5 years ago

Hi GTV6
the ipdb schematics shows at 21/22-F/G (on page 5) a switch on Tilt-Relay - controlling a lot of stuff on the playfield - but not the kicking-out of the ball. See my JPG - the bank of relays mounted on the underneath side of the playfield --- this bank is resetted in the end of the start- / reset-procedure (and also when stepping to next player / next ball). The Tilt-Relay is the rightmost relay in my JPG - all good in Your pin ? Greetings Rolf

0Shangri-La-Relay-Bank-medium (resized).jpg0Shangri-La-Relay-Bank-medium (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

And we have a winner!!! Thank you Rolf. The tilt relay it was.
Thanks to all of you!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-shangri-la-1967-normal-startup-but-no-game-reaction and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.