• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shangri La Bumpers (resized).jpg
1-pt-relay-red (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

I'm working on a Shangri-La and the 1 pt relay hangs up once the game starts. This keeps the match unit coil energized through the whole game, and I guess that's also the reason the ball count unit steps directly to ball 2. The schematics shows several switches connected to the 1 pt relay circuit and I need to check all of them, but I have only located the 3 rollover switches on top of the playfield, and they are OK. Where are the other 1 pt switches located in the machine?
1-pt-relay-red (resized).png1-pt-relay-red (resized).png

#2 2 years ago

the R.O. buttons are near the red special light.

kickers = slightshots

stand-up targets at edges of some plastics

the red/white/blue pop bumpers also score 1 pt indirectly via the #1-#3 bumper relays, so a switch on any of those could be stuck closed.

1 year later
#3 10 months ago

Having the same issue on my Shangri-la. Any progress on this since last year? I have checked all of the 1pt switches and the bumper relays, but need to check them again. Also, the top and right pop bumpers are sticking on even though the EOS switches are working correctly for each of these - i.e. opening up when the pop is activated. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

LTR

#4 10 months ago

Block every switch with cardstock or fish paper.

Assuming the relay no longer energizes start removing them…

#5 10 months ago

Keep in mind that some switches like standup targets and kicker switches often have a metal spacer blade between the two blades of the switch. The spacer is meant to adjust the gap between the switch blades but it can short them together too even if the contacts appear to be open.

/Mark

#6 10 months ago

All I remember is that I got it working after reading baldtwit 's reply and then forgot about it...

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Keep in mind that some switches like standup targets and kicker switches often have a metal spacer blade between the two blades of the switch. The spacer is meant to adjust the gap between the switch blades but it can short them together too even if the contacts appear to be open.
/Mark

Huh. Yes, I did check that each switch on the playfield was open and not stuck on. In fact, I can get these switches to score before the 1pt relay hangs up. I have not taken them apart, though. I do have other issues going on, but was trying to start here. Maybe I need to start with these issues:

1) Both the top and right pop bumpers get stuck on when activated. It is not the EOS switch. I can see that even without the coil connected the pop bumper relays both stay activated.
2) I have tried disconnecting the 1pt relay and the pop bumpers behave the same way - i.e. they get stuck on.
3) The other two pops are fine.
4) I have a start-up issue as well - the outhole relay is not firing when the outhole switch is activated. In fact, activating the switch cause the score motor to START moving, but it stops right away, the switches just getting out of the indentation in the index stack. I checked the swtiches (both score motor and outhole relay are in this stack on a make/break switch). I can't find anything wrong with these either.

I have checked the outhole relay works.
i have checked the outhole switch works.

So, ready to figure some things out. Sometimes these complex problems are just one switch and everything else resolves. Just need to find it.

#8 10 months ago
Quoted from Tonup69:

Both the top and right pop bumpers get stuck on when activated. It is not the EOS switch. I can see that even without the coil connected the pop bumper relays both stay activated.

If the pop bumper relays stick on either the Pop Bumper EOS switch doesn't open or the spoon switch under the Pop Bumper sticks closed or there's an issue with the switch wiring.
Shangri La Bumpers (resized).jpgShangri La Bumpers (resized).jpg

#9 10 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If the pop bumper relays stick on either the Pop Bumper EOS switch doesn't open or the spoon switch under the Pop Bumper sticks closed or there's an issue with the switch wiring.
[quoted image]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well, but I can't find a problem with the EOS or the spoon switch and I cleaned/adjusted all of the switches on the pop relay. I guess it could be a wiring issue. Will investigate that next.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-shangri-la-1-pt-relay-hangs-up-at-start-of-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.