• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams flipper swtich voltage (resized).jpg
IMG_0888 copy (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I am finishing up on a 1960 Williams Serenade and having an issue with no scoring. I do have 57 volts to all of the coils on the playfield and back box. The game starts properly, score reels will reset, ball trough switch engages ball count unit. But no scoring and flippers don't operate. Yes I do have 57 volts going the the flipper switches.

Ideas???

#2 2 years ago

There are often switches on one of the power rails that separate the always working parts (e.g. coining up, reset, etc.) from the rest of the game that is only powered during a game (scoring, etc.). The Hollywood schematic on IPDB for example shows switches on the Game Over, Tilt and Start relays that all need to be closed for the game to play. It seems likely that one of those switches is open.

But if that were the case you wouldn't have voltage across the flipper switches. How are you measuring that?

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

One side of the meter to this lug, the other side to the BLK-RD of the flipper switch. Also measuring from the BLK side of all coils on PF and back box to this lug.

IMG_0888 copy (resized).jpgIMG_0888 copy (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Here's part of the Hollywood schematic which is probably similar to yours.
Williams flipper swtich voltage (resized).jpgWilliams flipper swtich voltage (resized).jpg
If you measure from the 30/yellow wire lug on the transformer to the 80/black wire on the transformer you'll measure about 50 volts AC. If you move the meter probe from the black wire on the transformer to the black wire on the flipper coil lug (or any other coil lug) you'll still get 50 volts. If you move it again to the 86/black-brown wire on the flipper button switch in this schematic you'll still measure 50 volts between that and the 30/yellow wire. All that really tells you is that the wires and flipper coil are good. It doesn't tell you anything about the flipper button switch.

If the Game Over relay switch in the schematic is open and you measure the voltage across the flipper button switch you won't see 50 volts because even though there is a path back to the transformer through the flipper coil, there is no path in the other direction to the 30/yellow wire on the transformer that would complete the circuit.

I suspect if you were to jumper around the Game Over relay switch (and any other switches between the 30/yellow wire and the flipper button switch) that the flipper would start working.

#5 2 years ago

I'm sure Mark has you on the right path. Just thought I'd mention that my experience with Williams games with the blade style jones connectors have been finicky at times. Even when fully seated and properly cleaned.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

All that really tells you is that the wires and flipper coil are good. It doesn't tell you anything about the flipper button switch.

My point was that I do have power flowing to those areas, proving that there is a good path. I will follow your advice today and look closely at what you suggested. Status to follow.
Many thanks!

#7 2 years ago

Found the issue to be the switch stack screws at the Start Trip Relay needed to be tightened slightly. Power now to flippers and scoring.
Thanks for the assistance.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-serenade-not-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.