Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5985.jpg
IMG_5988.jpg
IMG_5987.jpg
IMG_5986.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hello Friends,

I picked up a 1980 system 6 Williams Scorpion (widebody ball multiball). I passed on one of these 6 months ago due to the beat up condition, but couldnt on this one. The PF is almost perfect as are the plastics despite how dirty it was, and the BG and body arent bad. I really want to see this one play!

Brief background: On location, the issue was the game wouldnt start sometimes, but would others. "Ball in play" bulb flashing. Probably meant the trough switch is bad, so I was assuming an easy fix.

I get it home, and now I have a 1492 error. I noticed the ground strap was never hooked up on location, but did connect it at home (and verified it runs where it should).

I have one wire in the backbox that I cannot figure out where it goes. I am attaching pictures. It comes off the side of a 3-pin connector, the incoming side has a red and a brown/purple wire. On the box side, the red wire is soldered to one of the two relays in the lower-right side of the bottom of the head. The brown/purple wire ends in a slip-on connector, and I have no idea where it goes. The tops of the relays have posts that it could kind of (sort of) slip over, but I dont want to just trial-and-error that one.

I am guessing it likely affects the 1492, unless some other cable is loose. Anyone know where this goes? On the relays, etc? the information in the schematics and book I printed off ipdb is very limited for this model, and I have not figured it out yet.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_5986.jpgIMG_5986.jpg

IMG_5987.jpgIMG_5987.jpg

IMG_5988.jpgIMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5985.jpgIMG_5985.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Does it go to one of the bridge rectifiers behind the transformer?

#3 8 years ago

You got the one off CL.... Arghh... Good job though

#5 8 years ago

On my Scorpion, that wire is connected to the relay opposite of the red wire. The red wire is on 1 side, there is a diode connecting the two sides and that wire goes at the other end with the diode on that lug of the relay.

Phoebe

#6 8 years ago

Thanks Everyone. Butterflygirl24 had it down. That was my suspect connection, and it was correct. Now I can cycle thru all the test functions etc. and I am back to the original issue. I will post that in a separate thread. Thanks for your input all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits
Electronics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-scorpion-project-unidentified-backbox-wire-help-request and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.