Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Capture1 (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    #1 4 years ago

My score reel on my williams 1 st player gets stuck on 0- 9 then it turns into 19 any suggestion

#2 4 years ago

Sticking score relays are almost always caused by a dirty mechanism. Take apart and clean all cams and moving parts. Step through the reels manually by pressing the coil plunger down with your finger. When you are able to advance from 0-9 without any hangups you should have it. The "19" is probably caused by the stepping up of the 10 point relay through the 9th position switch.

#3 4 years ago

It would sure help to know what game. Again.

Williams used at least three different styles of score reels that I know of.

#4 4 years ago

William Base hit

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ant16bar2:

William Base hit

OK. Later style.

It is good to make sure everything is clean and adjusted properly. 92% alcohol is a good cleaner.

I will paste this in regards to later Williams from another post-

They are pretty simple in design and function, and easy to get working if they do hang up. Only thing I have had to do out of the ordinary, is sometimes the cam that drives the switch lever develops a tiny flat spot which results in a small point on the cam. A file can be used to round it off, adjust switches if necessary, and everything will work fine again.

I use tiny dabs of super lube on the cam and the post it rotates on after I clean them, as that is where it looks like the factory lubed them, but that old lube has long since solidified.

6 months later
    #6 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Williams used at least three different styles of score reels that I know of.

Williams Heat Wave (1964) is sluggish / doesn’t want to step between 8 & 9 on some of the reels. Weak springs?

Is this the part where I take it all apart & clean? Seems suspect that the other clicks are pretty good, and they are sluggish in one spot.

#7 3 years ago

There's a switch on the score reel that closes during the step between 8 & 9. Have a look at its adjustment and mechanism.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

There's a switch on the score reel that closes during the step between 8 & 9. Have a look at its adjustment and mechanism.

If you take out the reel unit and manually advance it, it feels sluggish but only between the 8 & 9. Like it doesn’t want to pull back all the way. That's why I was thinking weak spring or something.

#9 3 years ago

Unless its obvious they aren't the correct ones, the springs are rarely the problem. Take the unit apart and clean/lube it and most problems are taken care of. Howard is telling you that a switch is activated on the 'sluggish' step - if the switch is incorrectly adjusted the score reel might have to work harder to overcome the switch on that step causing the sluggish behavior.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from gutz:

Howard is telling you that a switch is activated

I got that, and I am going to check the switches. But because they feel sluggish when manually advancing, it seemed to me the issue might not be electrical.

#11 3 years ago

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

But because they feel sluggish when manually advancing, it seemed to me the issue might not be electrical.

Make sure that the reel edge that controls the switches is nice and smooth.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I got that, and I am going to check the switches. But because they feel sluggish when manually advancing, it seemed to me the issue might not be electrical.

Agreed. The actuating mechanism for the switches I described above is mechanical and could be slowing down the score reel movement.

#14 3 years ago

Another thing to do is to compare the sluggish reel to a working one.

#15 3 years ago

Another question... even when the scores reset [by manually working the score reset relay] , the game doesn’t move on the the next task.

So, the score reset relay isn’t getting a signal to work, and even when the scores are reset, the next task doesn’t happen. The motor in the bottom of the cabinet runs continuously.

Should I continue checking the switches on the reels or check for a problem elsewhere? It’s not the score reset relay coil, because it was working before I messed with the scores.

What’s the next thing to check?

(Schematic has been ordered. Trying to do why I can in the meantime.)

#16 3 years ago

See if they have a manual as well, so you can get the start seq.

Pushing the start button should energize the Coin relay. Bank reset should start sometime after that, among other things.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
    #17 3 years ago

currieddog Thank you very much. No manual for this era Williams. I'll start tinkering with the start switch and the coin door, I guess.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I'll start tinkering with the start switch and the coin door,

Coin relay. Big difference. First make sure that the start button is making good contact, then have a look at the switches on the Coin relay by moving the plastic armature and checking that they are clean and making solid contact.

#19 3 years ago

'doh!

#20 3 years ago

There are credits on the wheel, but pressing the start button does nothing. Manually actuating the coin relay seems to work. The start button is making good contact, but there's no power there. No spark.

Would swear the button worked the other day.

Time to start resoldering?

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

pressing the start button does nothing

If pressing the Replay Button doesn't activate the Coin relay, Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
    http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
    http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #22 3 years ago

I figured it had to be something to do with the credit reel, because I was messing with it.

The replay unit switch was open. Closing it fixed it. Noob Error: I'd looked at that the other day, thought I knew how it worked and decided it should be open. Go Figure.

Closing the coin trip switch racks up 5 games.

Pressing the credit button uses up all the credits and starts the game. If I max it out (12 credits), pressing start brought it down to 2 games, but it seems ify. What is my next step on that, please. (I see that the coil in the back of the unit resets to zero games. When would that ever be needed?)

#23 3 years ago

currieddog The credit real now works great. Although I labeled the wires so I could solder them back to the right lugs, naturally one wire came loose and I had to figure out where it went.

It was a green wire going from the step up coil to the step down coil. I poured over the schematic, but could not figure out where it shows that a short green wire (color 4) goes from one particular lug on a coil to a particular lug on the other. Would you please show me that part on the schematic so I'll understand that sort of thing next time?

Thanks in advance!

-undrdog

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-reel-sticking-?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.