(Topic ID: 300143)

Williams score motor engaging but spinning slow?

By metalguy

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gears arrow (resized).jpg
IMG_2317 (resized).JPG
IMG_2316 (resized).JPG
gears (resized).jpg
gears 2 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

This is my first time having a problem with a score motor. Game is space odyssey. Power up and armature engages and spins going to first gear. They dont appear to be stripped but im not sure. I can spin it freely no problem if i engage the biggest gear. Nothing is gummed up or tight.

I checked the resistance .5 is not correct is it. Alot of the fuses were over fused when I got it.
Thanks

gears (resized).jpggears (resized).jpggears 2 (resized).jpggears 2 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

your image shows what looks like some grease in there, it may have solidified slowing things down.

read-up here on "Lubricating a Score Motor" http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#motor

brass gears designed for no lubrication

there is a felt pad on the side of the motor,

I recently found this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modern-equivalents-of-gottliebs-white-lube-black-lube-and-fine-oil#post-730948 suggesting ten drop of "fine oil"

#3 2 years ago

Most of what looks like grease is coil dust believe it or not. They spin freely when done by hand. It has something to do with when the armature pulls in not engaging fully or not spinning fast enough

#4 2 years ago

Does the armature move freely in and out by hand ? there is a teeny-tiny spring in there that I suppose could be binding.

#5 2 years ago

It does pull in and spin but maybe it’s not the entire way in. If the resistance is low in the coil wouldnt it not spin at all? I’m not sure

#6 2 years ago

I will look at the machine again on Monday and try to post a video

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from metalguy:

It does pull in and spin but maybe it’s not the entire way in. If the resistance is low in the coil wouldnt it not spin at all? I’m not sure

I tried getting a reading on my The Wiggler score motor and got nothing ( the machine does work ) I would have expected to see a very low resistance as you have posted above.

my particular score motor doesn't have open brass gears but does have the armature that will pull in and engage a gearbox

IMG_2316 (resized).JPGIMG_2316 (resized).JPGIMG_2317 (resized).JPGIMG_2317 (resized).JPG
#8 2 years ago

Had a similar issue on a "Space Mission" a few years ago. Ended up getting a rebuild kit from PBR and rebuilding the motor.

#9 2 years ago

So I think I got it. The smallest gear on the bottom back ( top of picture ) that meshes to the armature. I'm not sure if those 2 pieces are supposed to have teeth or what but they seem to be almost completly stripped. Looking for a blowup image or sketch now.

#10 2 years ago
gears arrow (resized).jpggears arrow (resized).jpg
1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Got the new rotor/armature from pbr installed. It was stripped. Just 2 small teeth on that thing. Had to drill out the brass rivets then I used machine screws thru the frame to resecure. Works fine now. Thanks

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from metalguy:

Got the new rotor/armature from pbr installed. It was stripped. Just 2 small teeth on that thing. Had to drill out the brass rivets then I used machine screws thru the frame to resecure. Works fine now. Thanks

Good good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.00
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-motor-engaging-but-spinning-slow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.