Williams schematic note (resized).jpg
C switches (resized).JPG
Williams schematic symbols (resized).jpg
score motor (resized).JPG
Williams score motor cam switches (resized).jpg
other motor switches (resized).JPG
fan-tas-tic start circuit (resized).JPG
fan-tas-tic index (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarkG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

The Williams Score Motor annotation is a little confusing and sometimes inconsistent. They did however publish at some point a decoder ring:
Williams score motor cam switches (resized).jpgWilliams score motor cam switches (resized).jpg
The helpful intention is that the switch label is supposed to give you some timing context which should make unwinding a circuit involving a score motor sequence a little easier. So for example a switch labeled 2A (on cam 2) will close momentarily before any switches labeled 3A (on cam 3) or with any higher number. When they did it consistently on a schematic it made things clearer than Gottlieb's notation for example (where 2B happens after everything else). Unfortunately I think these labels were sometimes inconsistent which made things a little worse.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Then another WAG: no diagonal line is 'normally open' whereas one w/a diagonal line is a 'normally closed'?

Williams schematic symbols (resized).jpgWilliams schematic symbols (resized).jpg

These diagrams are from Williams' Intro to Coin Operated Amusement Games available here and other places:
https://archive.org/details/introductiontocoinoperatedamusementgames

/Mark

#10 4 years ago

I've seen similar issues with O and C score motor switch labels and don't have a good explanation for that, hence the inconsistencies I mentioned earlier.

Quoted from paulace:

Are Williams schematics drawn with the machine in the same state?

I don't know. Sometimes the schematic will tell you something about the state of the machine, but often it won't, or it will only give you clues like this:
Williams schematic note (resized).jpgWilliams schematic note (resized).jpg
If you're lucky, maybe there won't be any active relays when the game is reset but not unplugged so it won't matter.

#15 4 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out. I had overlooked that. Now I wonder if Bally ever specified how their schematics were drawn.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

I must truly be a nerd as I find that fun reading.

I combed through all of the technical manuals I could find while preparing materials for my class and have posted snippets in the forum like the one above that folks seem to appreciate. If that makes me a nerd I'm good with that. While going through that exercise I discovered that big chunks of the manuals from two of the manufacturers are word for word the same which makes me wonder who actually wrote them.

4 weeks later
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

So I'm still a bit confused as to what the letter "O" or "C" to the left of the switches indicates.

I recently ran across this nugget on the Williams Skill Pool schematic on ipdb.org:
Skill Pool Motor switch nomenclature (resized).jpgSkill Pool Motor switch nomenclature (resized).jpg
I think the position of the movable part of the switch (above or below the 2nd contact) also is meant to show NO vs NC switches.

#22 4 years ago

This game (Skill Pool) uses a 2 cam score motor with a vertical shaft that looks more like a Gottlieb score motor. There's a complete diagram of it on the schematic. The position referred to above indicates which switch stack the switch is in. I suspect though that the number also indicates the relative timing of the switches just like it would on a horizontal shaft score motor with multiple cams.

These are normal 2 leaf score motor switches. The first is Normally Closed and the second is Normally Open. Note that these symbols are rotated clockwise 90 degrees when they're used in the schematic.

The schematic has lots of other interesting symbols that take a little detective work to sort out. Here are some examples:
Skill Pool Motor schematic symbols (resized).jpgSkill Pool Motor schematic symbols (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarkG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-schematic-nomenclature-question?tu=MarkG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.