williams roulette wheel always spins the same and same hole hit

By anynamewilldo

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Mine works fine but 95% of the time it lands in the very top hole even if i shake the machine slightly. I like sensitive tilts and already have the pin at about 6 degrees. I'd have to shake the heck out of it to solve the problem that way. Years ago i played one on location that did the same. Any suggestions to make the hole it lands in more random?

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from anynamewilldo:

Roulette wheel always spins the same and same hole hit.

Darn! If this would only happen when I'm in Vegas, so I could know which number to bet on.

#3 2 years ago

Take apart and clean the whole spinner mech good. Clean and wax the whole top of the spinner wheel & add a fresh new ball, also waxed. That should give you more random results.

#4 2 years ago

I wonder if the playfield pitch affects where the ball lands. If the pitch was steep enough you could probably get it to land in the same spot most of the time. Have you tried it at different playfield angles?

For those who haven't see one up close there's video of one from above and below at:
https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards-page-2#SpinnerUnit

/Mark

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I have had the game at different angles but it didn't help. The motor spins pretty darn fast already and the ball is new and wheel waxed.
I've watched a few videos and it seems these roulette wheels all do it. Most wheels spun slower in the videos then mine but all of them pretty much landed in the 12 o'clock hole or the holes on either side. Worse is whatever hole each pin picked as it favorite it hit that same hole time after time in videos. Oh well.

#6 2 years ago

I used to have a Williams Suspense with a similar roulette wheel and the ball usually landed in the same spot (or close) but the wheel itself usually stopped at different positions so even though the ball landed in the same physical spot I still got random scoring. Does your wheel always land in the same spot?

#7 2 years ago

I fixed up and owned a Fan-Tas-Tic many years ago, I don't recall it landing in the same spot, that would have bugged me. Is there any way you can adjust the angle of the roulette unit itself using spacers or washers under two of its mounting points + longer screws if needed, so that it is closer to level? Changing the slant of the playfield probably doesn't make much diff as you saw in your testing, one or two degrees, plus not the best way to fix this issue unless the slant is all whacked out to begin with.

#8 2 years ago

The ball lands on the same hole 12 o'clock/north/ 360-0 degrees etc.. but the wheel reward is different each time. I play a game or 3 every day and the ball has never landed in the 9 o'clock/west/ 270 degree hole. The wheel spins clockwise. Maybe it is just how physics work.
I have been on the lookout for a rubber/bouncy/superball to try in it.

#9 2 years ago

When I first read this I was puzzled but now that i think about it, it makes sense. Playfield angle does play a part. Think of a Hot Wheels car on a loop track. When the car made it over the top of the loop they stayed on the track, but if they lost momentum they would drop like a rock when they got to the top of the loop.

So the ball spins along the outside edge. It loses momentum as it goes uphill to 12 o'clock. If it has enough momentum to get past 12 o'clock it picks up a little speed as it comes back down. Eventually the momentum is reduced until gravity takes over and the ball falls down into the hole. This spot will usually be right at the apex or 12 o'clock position.

It would be real hard for it to land in the bottom holes (especially 6 o'clock) because the ball will gain speed as it comes off the loop. The ball would need to have almost no momentum at all, because at the 6 o''clock position the ball would have to (for lack of a better word) fall up, as the holes on the bottom edge will be above the balls path.

This wouldn't be a factor if the roulette wheel were level, like in Vegas. This might be one of the cases were shiny and smooth are not what you want. If you had more friction from either the ball or the edge of the wheel you would probably get more random results.

#10 2 years ago

Your post makes sense. Anyway fan tas tic is a weird game theme wise. The art just doesn't match up. I'm thinking they had the cabs and backglass already made for another game and then killed that title after test runs and said fudge it use what we have.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from anynamewilldo:

Your post makes sense. Anyway fan tas tic is a weird game theme wise. The art just doesn't match up. I'm thinking they had the cabs and backglass already made for another game and then killed that title after test runs and said fudge it use what we have.

I had a Fan Tas Tic and I didn't experience the ball always ending in the same (12 O'clock) position. Do you have a picture of the roulette wheel and the ball that you are currently using?

#12 2 years ago

If the wheel does seem like it's slanted towards the player now as described above where the ball slows down at the top, how about just sticking different books under the front legs as a test to then measure how many degrees the wheel unit would need to be 'adjusted' for it to be close to level.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-roulette-wheel-always-spins-the-same-and-same-hole-hit?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.