Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wolffcub
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1A010E21-3B71-4BFE-A98A-A8171FEE77EB (resized).jpeg
    27768537-A6F9-4840-A907-32F0C9964B19 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Have a bit of a stupid question but I'm just curious about a silly thing. When scores were rolled over on the early solid state games (Williams, bally, stern and gottlieb) systems how did they actually display that high score after? I though I read something like it would display 000001 to represent 1 million and then the remainder of the score 438,150.

I was scratching my head and slightly disappointed today when I rolled my Scorpion to 1,438,150 but after the game it went back to displaying my previous score of 968,250. When I was getting ready to purchase the Scorpion I bought a new Rottendog MPU for it because I thought the old MPU was going to need replaced. I'm still using the old mpu at the moment and the game is still working fine. Does anyone know if the new MPU has had tweaks to change how it can hold and display high scores over 6 digits?

#2 5 years ago

No. You have to keep from rolling your score in order for it to remember the high score. XPin makes 7 digit conversion display kit called the 7 evolution displays and it should come with everything that is needed. Only then will you be able to save a 1 mill+ score.

#3 5 years ago

sadly it looks like its not listed to work with my Scorpion.

#4 5 years ago

tilt the game when you get to 999,990 on ball 3

#5 5 years ago

Some williams games will 'nine out' the score (store the hstd as 9,999,999) - this is black knight and above era. You can install /10 roms in there to give you an effective 10 million scoring game or find someone willing to modify the software to allow 7 digit displays to be installed (this has been done for a couple of the games, notably firepower)

Some of the gottlieb replacement boards will handle the rollover but anything that uses the original software is not going to.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

No. You have to keep from rolling your score in order for it to remember the high score. XPin makes 7 digit conversion display kit called the 7 evolution displays and it should come with everything that is needed. Only then will you be able to save a 1 mill+ score.

They can display the extra digit, but is it saved as your high score when your power cycle?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

They can display the extra digit, but is it saved as your high score when your power cycle?

I cannot recall. I haven't looked at the product page in a while.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

tilt the game when you get to 999,990 on ball 3

But I rolled it on ball 2. Where is the fun to stop playing when it hits all 9’s ?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

But I rolled it on ball 2. Where is the fun to stop playing when it hits all 9’s ?

"nining" out games is a whole separate skill you can practice, but yeah I'd rather try to get the highest score possible and try to just remember how many times I rolled it

#10 5 years ago

I’m tempted to install the rotten dog mpu. I wonder if something has been changed to allow a way to indicate over 1 mill. Anyone have a fire power or other system 6 running a rotten dog mpu that can chime in ?

#11 5 years ago

Rottendog in firepower rolls to zero. Gorgar also

#12 5 years ago

Well I put the new board in to see. When rolling over it will still only keep in memory the last highest score below 999990.

On a good note my drops reset lightning fast now and are not delayed by a slight second anymore.

I wonder if something can be changed in the rom that would allow the 6 digits to remain but indicate millions then switch to the remainder.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

I wonder if something can be changed in the rom that would allow the 6 digits to remain but indicate millions then switch to the remainder.

Definitely possible. I made a custom rom for my hot tip where it'd just shift everything over by one digit (getting rid of the 0 at the right side) once you rolled it. But the use of hacking that into a rom seems low compared to just using a divide-by-ten rom

#14 5 years ago

So that being said how can one possibly go about getting someone to do one or help someone possibly figure it out ? Looks like the divide by ten would shift the digits right and the score would never display a zero.

Scorpion does display a 1,2,3 on the right only when in multi ball or after until you collect the bonus. The 1,2,or 3 is displayed to let you know what ball your on because the ball display becomes the multi ball timer display.

Attached is an example.

27768537-A6F9-4840-A907-32F0C9964B19 (resized).jpeg27768537-A6F9-4840-A907-32F0C9964B19 (resized).jpeg
    #15 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

Looks like the divide by ten would shift the digits right and the score would never display a zero.

Yep. I assume the other effects like the 3-2-1 would be unaffected.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

also tilt ball three while its in the shooter lane or roll it a 2nd time =D

During pinball league someone managed to roll over my firepower twice in one game and still get the high score because it w 900k something... geeze

"fire power mission accomplished wooooosh"

#17 5 years ago

The /10 roms should work on scorpion just fine.

Rottendog board uses original romsets AFAIK although I have heard rumors that they needed modification in some way.... not sure if that's true or not. Doubtful that the mod would have been to add in the 7th digit, that's pretty specific and probably not their intended goal in getting the board out there.

#18 5 years ago

I think I just need to tape a single flip card to the left of the score and reach forward to change it as I roll it.

1A010E21-3B71-4BFE-A98A-A8171FEE77EB (resized).jpeg1A010E21-3B71-4BFE-A98A-A8171FEE77EB (resized).jpeg
    #19 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

So that being said how can one possibly go about getting someone to do one or help someone possibly figure it out ? Looks like the divide by ten would shift the digits right and the score would never display a zero.

soren and applejuice both program ROMs. I'd send soren a PM and see if he knows of something currently available.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

I though I read something like it would display 000001 to represent 1 million and then the remainder of the score 438,150.

This is highly individual to each game / system. Most games just roll the score. Or attempt to, as there may be issues on some games.

I've also seen problems where corrupted RAM would have a value other than zero for the (hidden) 8th digit on a 7-digit display. It shows if the game is prefilling zeros onto the displayed score (Zaccaria games does this on purpose though). Only cure was to roll the set highscore in the setting on and on till it showed blanks instead of zeros.

A roll is a roll.

Changing MPU board will not change a thing.

3 months later
    #21 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

I’m tempted to install the rotten dog mpu. I wonder if something has been changed to allow a way to indicate over 1 mill.

Sorry this is a few months late in posting, but the Rottendog MPU327 board I got in January 2019 has a "secret" game setting for Firepower that scores with the divide by ten (/10) mode. It is accessed via game selection DIP switches. If you contact Rottendog tech support they will give you the undocumented switch settings.

#22 5 years ago

I only wish I had this problem. Only game I've been able to roll in the past 15 years was Silverball Mania.

#23 5 years ago

Thanks I will contact them and see if it works on my scorpion.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from AdjustFailure:

Sorry this is a few months late in posting, but the Rottendog MPU327 board I got in January 2019 has a "secret" game setting for Firepower that scores with the divide by ten (/10) mode. It is accessed via game selection DIP switches. If you contact Rottendog tech support they will give you the undocumented switch settings.

Do you have these super top secrete settings ? What secrete handshake do I need to know for you to send it to me ?

#25 5 years ago

I believe it was Jim at Rottendog tech support that gave me the dip switch settings. It may only be with the latest version of their board, I am not really sure. It was for Firepower, not sure if any other games have the divide by ten setting available. Unfortunately I did not keep a record of the settings since I don't roll over the million score, but if you call or email Rottendog they will likely give you the settings for Firepower if that's the game in question.

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago

Im getting no response from them at all regarding this display question.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rottendog-mpu-and-scoring- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.