Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pdmarsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

For anyone familiar with the subject game, I am curious about a few aspects of game play, which could relate to setup and/or maintenance.

After initially launching a ball, only on rare occasions does the ball travel the full upper arc and come out of the chute and pass by the upper flipper. More often than not, the ball goes down the chute just before the last chute. I have not been able to figure out what determines whether or not the ball will travel the full arc. All things being equal, it seems like the ball should always make it through the full arc.

I can see a number of things that would affect this. If the playing surface angle is on the low side, that would favor the full arc. If the playing surface angle is on the high side, that would tend to inhibit making the full arc. A weak spring on the launch plunger would also inhibit chances of making the full arc. Any idea what the original design intent was with this aspect of the game? Should the ball always go the full arc, or should it be intermittent as I now experience it?

With regard to setup, the playing surface should be between 6° and 7°. To the best of my ability to check, I have it set at 6.5°. With regard to maintenance, this is an old game and probably needs some new components. I noticed that the rubber bumper on the launch plunger looks a little ragged. I'm sure even that can affect how well a ball launches. This is my first pinball machine and I am only now really getting into maintenance. I've had the machine for a number of years now. Any pointers as to what to look out for and/or replace will be appreciated.

There is another thing I'm curious about. Every now and then, and after hearing the "Don't Flip!" warning, the magnet will not capture the ball. This is somewhat rare, but maybe it should never happen. I have cleaned the playing surface, the exposed tip of the magnet and the balls themselves, but it still happens. Could this indicate that the magnet needs to be replaced, or is it normal that occasionally the ball won't get captured? Also, after the magnet captures the ball, the ball will continue to vibrate a bit. If I flip before it settles down, there's no chance of the ball making it up "The Wall." If I wait too long, the magnet releases the ball. This is another situation in which sometimes the ball will go through the full upper arc and pass by the upper flipper again, and sometimes not. Aside from the vibration issue, should the upper flipper always make the ball travel the full upper arc after magnet capture?

So much to learn, so little time...

Thanks,
Paul

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from pdmarsh:

After initially launching a ball, only on rare occasions does the ball travel the full upper arc and come out of the chute and pass by the upper flipper. More often than not, the ball goes down the chute just before the last chute. I have not been able to figure out what determines whether or not the ball will travel the full arc. All things being equal, it seems like the ball should always make it through the full arc.

On mine which had the latest ROM, it seems the original intent is for the ball to go down the 2nd chute and to return to the right flipper. You must plunge it hard enough and have a spring which is resistant enough to make it up the ramp on a plunge.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

On mine which had the latest ROM, it seems the original intent is for the ball to go down the 2nd chute and to return to the right flipper. You must plunge it hard enough and have a spring which is resistant enough to make it up the ramp on a plunge.

Thanks mrossman5. That is exactly my experience, i.e. more often than not going down the 2nd chute and returning to the right flipper. I agree this is probably the original intent and it should be a bit hard to get to the third chute, at least on a new launch. However, if you catch the upper flipper just right, and it's exceedingly rare for me, you can really launch the ball up the wall and through the full arc, getting another chance at catching the upper flipper yet again. The more I think about it, the more impressed I am with the design of these games.

Thanks again,
Paul

#4 3 years ago

I had a very low-plays sample RG that I recently traded a few months back for a well-shopped BK with a great playfield.
On the RG, I found that angle set-up was hyper sensitive in order for the plunge shot to make the full arc as was originally designed/intended.
At first it baffled me but as I played with levelers I found even a minutae` of change made a huge difference.

As for the magnet, mine worked and held the ball maybe 95% of the time, I think the non-holds were just those shots that came through there at a faster speed.

It will grow on you, just make those small adjustments to your heart's content.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks twoplays25c. Great information.

Paul

#6 3 years ago

If I recall correctly, I replaced the plunger spring in mine. Either (or both) Marco's or PinBallLife sell a spring assortment kit. Color coded by strength.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks mbwalker. I'll check it out.

Paul

#8 3 years ago

If you haven't found it yet, the RG club thread holds lot of info as well-

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rock-rock-rockin-rollergames-club

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from pdmarsh:

Thanks mbwalker. I'll check it out.
Paul

Paul - here you go: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-148-XX

#10 3 years ago

Thanks Wmsfan & mbwalker. I appreciate the links.

Paul

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rollergames-setup-gameplay-original-intent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.