New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 60449)

Williams Rollergames Pinball: Not an original theme & more

By Jared

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Jared
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

alllug-tiff.jpg
williams_rg-tiff.jpg
tumblr_m6jmuu2A1U1rnj75xo1_1280.jpg
016.JPG
013.JPG
011.JPG
014.JPG
rg.JPG
Rollergames_Photo.jpg
Rollergames-Timeline-Arcade.jpg
213421_Rollergames_00.jpg
RGMagazine.jpg
RGSoundtrack.jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

What I am about to share will be a "duh" post for many of you. For many other, it will be a hilarious, shocking, and mind opening experience.

Rollergames (1990 Williams) was not an original theme.

"RollerGames was a U.S. television series that presented a theatrical version of the sport of roller derby for a national audience, and featured a number of skaters who had been in the Roller Games league (1961–1975), as well as younger participants. It was broadcast for one season (1989–1990)."

RollerGames was real. It was an actual TV show in 1989. It was shown for a single season, and then pretty much never spoken of ever again. By the time the pinball game came out, the TV show was already off the air!

There is an official soundtrack.

RGSoundtrack.jpg

There was an official magazine. They only made one issue.

RGMagazine.jpg

It was a NES game.

213421_Rollergames_00.jpg

It was a Konami Arcade Game.

Rollergames-Timeline-Arcade.jpg

And finally it was the Steve Ritchie Pinball Game we know and love today. The pinball game is likely the only reason anyone would ever remember ROLLERGAMES today.

Rollergames_Photo.jpg

Oh, and that "song" everyone either loves or hates? It was the real theme song from the TV show.

Rollergames is long dead and gone, but the time in which it was produced is carefully contained and available inside of any Rollergames Pinball Machine today.

And for those of you who really want to make your brain melt, here is an entire episode of the short lived show that spawned one of the best loved System 11 pins ever.

#2 7 years ago

That topic was actually brought up on a recent pinball podcast....maybe Gameroom Junkies.

Almost a Gladiator type show with the uniforms

Nice info though

#3 7 years ago

OMG Duh

#4 7 years ago

I think I remember that show being on TV. Odd that Williams would have gotten a license for the show even though it did pull in pretty good ratings.

#5 7 years ago

There is a story that I read that I am sure someone with more knowledge can link that Williams had the choice between American Gladiators or Rollergames and they went with Rollergames. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere and didn't dream it up.

#6 7 years ago

I've been looking for that soundtrack for a while, it's pretty damn rare!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

I've been looking for that soundtrack for a while, it's pretty damn rare!

If you get one burn me a copy!!!

#8 7 years ago

In what sport does overtime lead you into an alligator pit of death -
ROLL-ER-GAMES!!! ROLL-ER-GAMES!!! ROLL-ER-GAMES!!!

#9 7 years ago

I grew up watching the show... watched it every week, and then it went off the air and I wondered WHY...

Years later, my girlfriend (now wife) and I went on a date, played Rollergames at a pizza parlor, and that's what got me hooked on the game. Probably 100 pins later, it's still my favorite pinball.

Yes, I have the pin, the CD, the magazine, the NES game, a JAMMA board, NOS sideart, NOS CPU, used marquee (was only available as a kit, not a dedicated arcade game), as well as some other stuff that's not pictured here. I also have bootlegs of all the episodes, and an untorn ticket to attend one of the tapings of the show

American Gladiators was one of the themes that went up against Rollergames - The Getaway: HS II *also* was put up against it, along with Fish Police.

I'm pretty much the foremost expert on the topic in the world. Not sure that's something I want people to know...

#10 7 years ago

Please tell me more about FISH POLICE.

#11 7 years ago

These were within reach of my desk..

rg.JPG

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I grew up watching the show... watched it every week, and then it went off the air and I wondered WHY...

Years later, my girlfriend (now wife) and I went on a date, played Rollergames at a pizza parlor, and that's what got me hooked on the game. Probably 100 pins later, it's still my favorite pinball.

Yes, I have the pin, the CD, the magazine, the NES game, a JAMMA board, NOS sideart, NOS CPU, used marquee (was only available as a kit, not a dedicated arcade game), as well as some other stuff that's not pictured here. I also have bootlegs of all the episodes, and an untorn ticket to attend one of the tapings of the show

American Gladiators was one of the themes that went up against Rollergames - The Getaway: HS II *also* was put up against it, along with Fish Police.

I'm pretty much the foremost expert on the topic in the world. Not sure that's something I want people to know...

You have got to be the biggest rollergames fan ever!

#14 7 years ago

Knew it already but I love the pin. 403 had one and swapped it out, sad day for me.

#15 7 years ago

Do not know how on earth I possibly missed that the first time through.

I do remember DOG Police, though.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Dude... what an epic post.

We have the foremost expert of ROLLERGAMES in the world right here among us!!! HA!!

Tell me then, what do you think of an Alligator themed topper for the game... maybe a giant alligator head with a rollerskate sticking out...

#17 7 years ago

I used to watch the show and must admit I really liked it. When I got a Rollergames , everyone said the theme is terrible but not to me. Its a fun game that everyone plays when there at my house. I have caught even the people who say the music's horrible humming it after playing the game.

#18 7 years ago

Anyone who does not like music can go play... lol... something else.

I am going to play some rollergames and then play with my ninja turtles and drink a crystal pepsi.

#19 7 years ago

I'm not much for toppers, but that sounds pretty neat!

I gotta say, Rollergames and BK2K make an epic pair. Both have that awesome midi sound going on.

#20 7 years ago

A few random pics of the first pin I every bought.

014.JPG 011.JPG 013.JPG 016.JPG

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Anyone who does not like music can go play... lol... something else.
I am going to play some Rollergames and then play with my ninja turtles and drink a crystal pepsi.

That crystal Pepsi was the worst thing they ever came up with. I kept wanting to like it and was glad when it was gone.

I can remember watching the show as well. The game is great and I hope to have one someday.

#22 7 years ago

That pin is interesting. Doesn't appear to have any prototype features!

#23 7 years ago

Underrated for sure. I love how this thing will pop the locked balls out to circle around as if going around a track. Everyone always goes through the "OMFG did I start multiball?!?!" cock tease the first time they see that.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from sosage:

Underrated for sure. I love how this thing will pop the locked balls out to circle around as if going around a track.

I was just going to say that, one of the best little features about it. I really want a RG someday.

#25 7 years ago

I hope AVGN reviews Rollergames on NES soon.

#26 7 years ago

This review is actually pretty good..

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I hope AVGN reviews Rollergames on NES soon.

Me too! That is one of my favorite internet shows. I hope his movie is a big success too; the previews look good.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from Rustyck:

In what sport does overtime lead you into an alligator pit of death -
ROLL-ER-GAMES!!! ROLL-ER-GAMES!!! ROLL-ER-GAMES!!!
» YouTube video

What. The. F&$K?!!!!

#29 7 years ago

LOL!!!!

You don't know rollergames if you don't know about the alligators....

#30 7 years ago

I thought this was cool back in the day.
But I was always hoping for real life reality game show The Running man.

Alligator OT should be in all sports. Bet the game never goes to double OT.

#31 7 years ago

Sweet Williams pinball banner hanging up at the 10:50 mark.

#32 7 years ago

Go Rockers!
Screw the Violators!

#33 7 years ago

Since it hasn't been posted here yet, the Classic Game Room review of Rollergames:

#34 7 years ago

Steve's highlights and light blue tie say "waterbed salesman." Love it.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Still waiting on a recording of the European alternate music roms!

-BB

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Since it hasn't been posted here yet, the Classic Game Room review of Rollergames: » YouTube video

What a great video. LOL. I love it!!!

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

There is a story that I read that I am sure someone with more knowledge can link that Williams had the choice between American Gladiators or Rollergames and they went with Rollergames. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere and didn't dream it up.

It was in the Roger Sharpe edition of Pinball Magazine.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from appeac:

It was in the Roger Sharpe edition of Pinball Magazine.

It's also been documented here:

http://myhomegameroom.com/pinball/rollergames_proto/designinfo.htm

For at least 6 years

If I knew Pinball Magazine had discussed Rollergames, I would've bought a copy!

Even with the publisher constantly spamming every pinball site, group, facebook group, etc...

#39 7 years ago

So I am thinking about getting one of these... and a rollerskate... possibly a leg in it with a 80's style sock... LOL... make a topper out of it...

No-one will get it... LOL... but a few will... and for them I think it will make the game more special.

tumblr_m6jmuu2A1U1rnj75xo1_1280.jpg

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

What about the chrome wireforms?

#41 7 years ago

I bet no-one knew that Williams was doing advertising on national TV within the show before the pinball machine hit the local arcades... williams_rg-tiff.jpg

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

What a great video. LOL. I love it!!!

My favorite part is when he's like "that was the best thing I've ever done in my life!" when he hits the wall ramp for a million

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

What about the chrome wireforms?

Closest thing is actually the speaker grilles.

My proto RG (#3 made) has a mixture of powdercoated and chromed wireforms.
My sample RG (#26 made) has all chrome wireforms.

That game has a production shooter gauge - much later than prototype or sample games, which had Earthshaker style shooter gauges.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I bet no-one knew that Williams was doing advertising on national TV within the show before the pinball machine hit the local arcades...

I noticed that I watch my bootlegs of the series a few times a year, for nostalgia's sake. I wish someone would release them, as I'd love to see them in better quality!

#45 7 years ago

And now for some ROLLERBEEF.

We need to ban these slimy lizards from the game!!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

alllug-tiff.jpg

#46 7 years ago

rollergames gets played a lot At our house. I am a sucker for the 90's nostalgia. Plus first machine to have advertising on it.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from mojozone:

Rollergames gets played a lot At our house. I am a sucker for the 90's nostalgia. Plus first machine to have advertising on it.

And the last if I am not mistaken...

#48 7 years ago

I really should get a WWF RR to go with my Rollergames to have that cheesy retro late 80s / early 90s feel. Perhaps I should keep the RR I have?

#49 7 years ago

Yes. Yes, you should.

#50 7 years ago

I love the game. It took me a couple years to find, but once I got it home I stripped it down, dupont clear coated it, leded it, rebuilt it, at it looks and plays awesome! Most people who come to my house don't really like it because it's "too difficult." They tend to gravitate to ToM instead.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Ulm, MN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Habos Arcade
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside