(Topic ID: 92973)

Williams Rollergames - Minor Issues (Update with Video)

By SilentGloves

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey Guys,

I have found a couple other minor issues with my Rollergames, so I thought it worth starting a new thread. Below you will find a link to a video showing gameplay and a few of the issues. Please bear with me, as I really have no idea what I'm doing.

1. The Magnet "freeze" doesn't hit the ramp. (mostly fixed)
I used the Clinometer app on my phone to level and pitch the machine as best I could, additionally, the magnet was flush with the playfield. As per the Williams Technical Bulletin, I raised it to approximately 1/32". This seems to have largely resolved the issue. Occasionally, it still misses, but it follows the ramp more often than not.

2. Occasionally, the machine ejects two balls into the launcher, separated by a second or so. It's a distinct "eject one... pause... eject two" and not the machine injecting two balls at the same time.

3. When you lock balls for multiball, these balls persist through the end of the game. Say on the first game, you lock two balls, you finish the third ball, game over. When you start a new game, you get multiball on the first lock. This seems like it might be a setting, but I'm not sure. I'd prefer to reset the multiball at the end of a game, obviously.

4. My phone's inclinometer says the playfield is at 7.8°, but the gameplay seems a little slow for that steep of an incline. I've calibrated the phone app, please look at the video and tell me if I'm crazy or not. I'm certainly not an expert, but it *feels* closer to about 6.2°.

Any advice you can give me for resolving these issues will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

#2 9 years ago

2. - Check the if arm that kicks the ball is hitting the last switch in the ball trough.

LTG : )™

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

2. - Check the if arm that kicks the ball is hitting the last switch in the ball trough.

Can you be more specific? You're dealing with someone who last played a pin somewhere around 1996, and has never serviced one. This sounds like you're indicating that there's a switch in the ball trough that registers that there's a ball there, and it is not being activated. Is this correct?

#4 9 years ago

No.

There are switches in the ball trough the balls roll over. At then end of the trough is the ball kicker. Literally an arm that goes up and pushes the ball to the shooter lane.

If that arm is too close to the last switch, it may hit it going up or down, thus triggering a closure and causing another kick, hence another ball is delivered to the shooter lane.

#5 9 years ago

3) Setting #38 is called "save locks". Choose no
4) Try setting your playfield (not the glass) to 6.5% and see how it feels. Steeper does not always feel better, IMHO

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.
There are switches in the ball trough the balls roll over. At then end of the trough is the ball kicker. Literally an arm that goes up and pushes the ball to the shooter lane.
If that arm is too close to the last switch, it may hit it going up or down, thus triggering a closure and causing another kick, hence another ball is delivered to the shooter lane.

Ooooh... I see what you're saying. I'll poke around under the kicker area and see what's going on. Thanks!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

3) Setting #38 is called "save locks". Choose no
4) Try setting your playfield (not the glass) to 6.5% and see how it feels. Steeper does not always feel better, IMHO

Awesome. Now that I know it's a setting, I may keep it the way it is unless I'm having people over for friendly competitive play.

I assume you meant degrees and not percent, the app on my phone displays both. I'll set it to exactly 6.5 degrees and see how it feels.

Thanks!

#8 9 years ago

degrees - the manual indicates "6-7", but the standard is 6.5.

#9 9 years ago

I've always set the save locks to yes. But I'm not a great player I always liked how RG did that when I played it on route.. made me drop another 50 cents if I had 2 balls locked, because I knew there was a good chance I'd get multiball on the next game!

#10 9 years ago

Some updates. Apparently, I was looking at percent on the clinometer software on my phone. When I switched to degrees, I saw that I had the incline set to about 5.2 degrees. This resulted in the magnet shot successfully going up the ramp, albeit still a bit clunky. I readjusted the machine to a 6.5 degree incline, which made the play much faster (almost too fast), but now the magnet shot misses the ramp by a country mile (probably more like half an inch).

When the ball comes to rest on the magnet, it does seem to be in contact with the upper flipper (which is what is indicated in the service bulletin).

Right now I have the machine adjusted to maybe 5.8-6.0 degrees as indicated by the software, and it still misses the ramp shot.

Hmmm.

As a note, after calibrating the software on my phone, I can rotate the phone 180 degrees and it gives the same reading +/- 0.1 degrees. This indicates to me that the reading is most likely pretty close to accurate, or it's off by the same amount in both directions.

#11 9 years ago

Picked up a digital level today. Got the playfield 0.0° left-right and 6.5° back-front. I noticed that when the ball was frozen, there was just a tiny gap between the flipper and the ball. So I adjusted the flipper forward just a hair (man, is that a pain to do without a small set of hex wrenches). Now it's behaving strangely. Sometimes, it's dead on up the ramp, other times it misses low by about an inch. Funky.

Now that the machine is properly leveled and pitched, though, I discovered the money-shot. Lower right flipper to outer lane around the back to upper-right flipper, up the ramp, around the back, up the ramp, around the back. Managed to loop the ball three times before I missed. That was awesome. That shot has a great flow to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rollergames-minor-issues-update-with-video and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.