(Topic ID: 93478)

Williams Rollergames - Mag-shot Update (again)

By SilentGloves

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Shogun00
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hey Gang,

So I have done some more work in an attempt to get the magnet freeze shot working properly on my Rollergames. I have attempted the following:

• Adjusted playfield to 0.0° Left-Right and several values between 5.2° - 7.0° front-back inclination. At 5.2°, the magnet shot works, but gameplay is obviously slow. Once I hit about 5.4° or above, the magnet shot hits the post below the ramp.
• When I got the machine, the magnet was slightly lower than the playfield. I have tried a few elevations, right now it's slightly over 1/32" above the playfield.
• Originally, the upper right flipper was in a position where you could not see the alignment pinhole. I have tried adjusting it at the pinhole, and slightly in front of the pinhole.

Hoping perhaps you guys can provide me with any other options. I'm guessing the next step is to rebuild that flipper. Thoughts?

I made a new video with more detail to illustrate what's happening:

#2 9 years ago

You need to rebuild the flipper with a new bushing that thing is weak and if you can't make the wall the game sucks.
Make sure you have the proper coil, I am pretty sure it is an FL-11630 but check your manual to confirm.

#3 9 years ago

If the flipper has not been rebuilt you should rebuild it with new parts and adjust it so the ball just rests against the flipper rubber when the magnet holds the ball. Make sure there is a little up/down play in the flipper within the bushing and make sure the EOS switch is actuating at the very end of the flipper fully actuated (hold) position. Operate the flipper plunger by hand to make sure it is smooth with no binding and the return spring is working correctly. I converted my flippers to WPC style return springs. It is not hard to do and I think it improves the flipper action. My
Playfield is set to 6.5 degrees and I can make the ramp shot off the magnet nearly every time. I did reshape the top surface of the magnet core by putting a slight depression / dimple in the center of it.

#4 9 years ago

I'm not sure how to tell if a flipper has been rebuilt. All three flippers in the machine have a red/pink sleeve and say FL-11630, and the manual seems to indicate this is correct.

Can someone link me to a good retailer from which I can buy a flipper rebuild kit? I might as well rebuild all three, while I'm at it, but the rebuild kits I'm seeing seem to only come in two-packs. Does this mean I need to buy an extra?

Also, I'm noticing that my plunger isn't strong enough to get the ball up the ramp most times, am I correct to assume a replacement of the spring should remedy this?

Thanks,
Steve

#5 9 years ago

Here are your kits, you can order two or 1 1/2.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=980

Order bushings as well.

#7 9 years ago

Just got a Rollergames and nutshell shopped it out for me. Brought it over Thursday night and after setting up adjusted the upper right flipper by the magnet. Nutshell looked online and found on RGP a thread where they talked about having to adjust the upper flipper based sometimes on leveling of the game in your house. Sure enough once setup, tried magnet flip and it was missing the mark. Lifted playfield, unscrewed flipper housing, opened flipper a tad more, tightened and test - presto chango it works flawlessly.

Understand if game is moved this adjustment may be necessary. Good luck!

#8 9 years ago

Thanks man, stocking up on parts while I'm at it. Do you by chance know which color/tension plunger/shooter spring is appropriate? Can't seem to find it in the manual.

#9 9 years ago

RG uses a 10-148-2 red spring.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Just got a Rollergames and nutshell shopped it out for me. Brought it over Thursday night and after setting up adjusted the upper right flipper by the magnet. Nutshell looked online and found on RGP a thread where they talked about having to adjust the upper flipper based sometimes on leveling of the game in your house. Sure enough once setup, tried magnet flip and it was missing the mark. Lifted playfield, unscrewed flipper housing, opened flipper a tad more, tightened and test - presto chango it works flawlessly.
Understand if game is moved this adjustment may be necessary. Good luck!

can you possibly link the thread for a better discription? I am not sure what you mean by "opened the flipper a tad more"

TIA

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

can you possibly link the thread for a better discription? I am not sure what you mean by "opened the flipper a tad more"

TIA

I don't have the link to the RGP thread as nutshell informed me. Here's a more technical description of what I meant - hope this helps:

"Slide your playfield out, and where the shaft of the flipper goes beneath the playfield, you will see the assembly which tightens to the flipper shaft. Undo it until you can feel play in the flipper and set it to the angle that you want, above the playfield, then tighten the assembly."

My Rollergames required the flipper angle to be adjusted - opened more to the right.

#12 9 years ago

So in looking at my flipper assemblies, the two bottom flippers have clearly been rebuilt. The shaft and spring on both are still shiny. Each has a little bit of up-down play, but very little lateral play in the bushings. EOS switches look new. The upper flipper has not been rebuilt, but on a hunch, I lightly cleaned the EOS switch contacts by putting a piece of paper between them a couple times and pulling it out. This seems to have at least partially resolved the issue, the ball goes up the ramp about 70% of the time.

I do think my diverter might be... funky. I'm still learning the rules, but when the lock light is lit, sometimes the ball will lock, other times in flies around the right side past the upper right flipper (occasionally, I can make the shot the second time and get the ball to lock).

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from SilentGloves:

I do think my diverter might be... funky. I'm still learning the rules, but when the lock light is lit, sometimes the ball will lock, other times in flies around the right side past the upper right flipper

I'm newer to the game (years have gone by until now owning) as well but, I believe when you make the wall shot there are three possible outcomes: 1. weaker shot goes down back to left flipper; 2. second ramp feeding to right flipper; 3. hit too hard and it flies down third half ramp feeding upper right flipper.

What code are you running?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I don't have the link to the RGP thread as nutshell informed me. Here's a more technical description of what I meant - hope this helps:
"Slide your playfield out, and where the shaft of the flipper goes beneath the playfield, you will see the assembly which tightens to the flipper shaft. Undo it until you can feel play in the flipper and set it to the angle that you want, above the playfield, then tighten the assembly."
My Rollergames required the flipper angle to be adjusted - opened more to the right.

Makes more sense. To say it another way if I am getting it..., don't rely on the flipper alignment hole to set angle but rather one may need to adjust the flipper tip to be closer to the right side guide.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Makes more sense. To say it another way if I am getting it..., don't rely on the flipper alignment hole to set angle but rather one may need to adjust the flipper tip to be closer to the right side guide.

Flipper should plane out with the guide using a straight edge, ball on magnet should not rest against the flipper just about a 1/16' off of it.
Flipper should be activated just as the mag releases it.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Flipper should plane out with the guide using a straight edge, ball on magnet should not rest against the flipper just about a 1/16' off of it.
Flipper should be activated just as the mag releases it.

thanks! that makes perfect sense now

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

RG uses a 10-148-2 red spring.

Just a quick update. Threw in the Red spring today. Zoom! The spring that was in there (no color) clearly didn't have anywhere near the tension of the red spring. The ball now easily goes to the right habitrail with a good amount of scoot.

#18 9 years ago

Just wanted to update with my personal solution.

1.The upper right flipper is rebuilt and aligned correctly using the pin hole. (Please note that NO special linkage or rebuild is needed. A standard kit for this era is fine even though there is probably a sticker on that upper right bracket telling you to use a special one>> again normal plunger and linkage is fine.)
When properly aligned the flipper is NOT resting against the metal guide behind it. The flipper makes a nice direct line off the upper orbit ball guide so shot around the orbit from left to right do not have path altered by the flipper. This also results in orbit shots returning cleanly to the right lower flipper.

Please also note that for me the magnet will hold the ball so it is just BARELY touching the flipper rubber. This is in opposition to what is mentioned above but I found it to work for me and also found an old pdf showing that the ball, when centered over the magnet, shoudl be touching the rubber just a little

After step 1, I was still only making the shot about 40% of the time. Puzzling, I know...

2. Raise up the magnet core fromt he underside of the pf. Use a nice flat metal file and plane off the top surface to remove any dents or imperfections of a perfectly flat surface. Then lower the magnet back down so it is only a cunt hair higher than the pf level (cunt hair is technical for ~1/64inch). The ole pdf recommended 1/32 (2 cunt hairs) but I found 1/64 worked better.

After step 2 I now make the shot 100% of the time

This may not work for you, but it did for me. It is essential to the enjoyment of this game for this shot to play like it should >> 100% making it with the mag.

Other details that may be of interest. Red regular flipper rubbers, perfectly level L to R, and any pitch form 6 to 7 degrees works perfect for me.

Thanks to others that put forth ideas. Hopefully the above helps someone else in the future.

#19 9 years ago

Three recommendations I have for the rollergames upper flipper...not just for the OP but for everyone.

1. Put super bands on...having the shot weak or "off" from an over used flipper makes this game really tough.

2. Do a complete rebuild of the flipper...I did this and wow, what a difference.

3. Really clean the "wall" ramp. Neglected this gets pretty dirty and can really slow down your ball.

Rollergames will never leave my collection. Simple rules but set up right and this is a lightning fast game that is hard to post a huge score on.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from BeaverBrewing:

Three recommendations I have for the Rollergames upper flipper...not just for the OP but for everyone.
1. Put super bands on...having the shot weak or "off" from an over used flipper makes this game really tough.
2. Do a complete rebuild of the flipper...I did this and wow, what a difference.
3. Really clean the "wall" ramp. Neglected this gets pretty dirty and can really slow down your ball.
Rollergames will never leave my collection. Simple rules but set up right and this is a lightning fast game that is hard to post a huge score on.

Agree with all the above!!

8 years later
#21 1 year ago

Hi all — I am having a similar but different problem. The magnet and flipper were working just fine and now the flipper is weak BUT ONLY WHEN THE MAGNET IS ON. It’s fine otherwise. Finding that flipping before the machine says “flip” now gets it up the Wall maybe 40% of the time but that’s obviously not enough. Wondering if this is a technical issue rather than mechanical because the flipper otherwise looks to be working? Thanks for any advice!

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from dgingiss:

Hi all — I am having a similar but different problem. The magnet and flipper were working just fine and now the flipper is weak BUT ONLY WHEN THE MAGNET IS ON. It’s fine otherwise. Finding that flipping before the machine says “flip” now gets it up the Wall maybe 40% of the time but that’s obviously not enough. Wondering if this is a technical issue rather than mechanical because the flipper otherwise looks to be working?

If it's just occurring when the magnet is on, then the magnetic energy isn't escaping fast enough from the ball.

A few things to do.
- Replace the balls. They eventually get magnetized over time.
- Replace the flipper rubber. The rubber helps absorb some of the magnetism.
- Adjust the upper flipper's end of stroke switch. The magnet deactivates once the EOS is open.
- Rebuild the upper flipper. The parts in the upper flipper might be beginning to wear out and the magnet is pushing the worn parts to their limits.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rollergames-mag-shot-update-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.