3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mskoenen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mskoenen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago

Disclaimer: I am also somewhat of an amateur

Here's the manual, in case you don't have one:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1970/Williams_1986_Road_Kings_Manual.pdf

Go to the Switch Level test in the diagnostics menu. Instructions on getting into the test/diagnostic menus is written at the bottom of page 22, and continued on page 23 of that manual. Switch levels is described on page 26. Page 26 also contains the switch matrix, with switch names and numbers. We're going to try and determine which of the tilt switches is being activated:

• 1 (Plumb Bob Tilt)
  • 2 (Ball Roll Tilt)
  • 7 (Slam Tilt)
  • 46 (Playfield Tilt)

Once in the switch test, you'll want to replicate the scenario that is causing the tilt in game. With the two balls out of the trough, manually hold the switch in one of the capture spots (or put a ball on it), then hold the shooter lane switch (where the ball is sitting when you plunge it). With those two switches held down, the display should be indicating that switch 39 (Ball Shooter) and whatever lock you chose. Those will be either 34 (Upper Left Kicker), 37 (Left Eject), or 38 (Center Eject). Are any other switches being indicated with those two held down? Try releasing the shooter lane a few times while the lock is still activated.

If Switch Level doesn't show you anything, try the same procedure in the Switch Edge test.

Report back if either switch levels or edge tests show switch 1, 2, 7, or 46 activating when you replicate the problem.

1 week later
#9 3 years ago
Quoted from t18tranny:

So, i finally got around to testing the machine. When I'm in switch test mode the machine flashes 41, 34, and 23 on the screen with 41stating (right trough), 34 (upper left kicker) and 23 right ramp E.O.S. What does that all mean???

So if you have one ball in the trough, it's going to be activating the right trough switch, same as the upper left kicker (or do you mean it's showing as closed with no ball in there?), and the End Of Stroke (EOS) switch is what tells the ramp raise solenoid that it doesn't need full power to keep the ramp raised. I'm assuming that will be engaged if the ramp is up.

Quoted from t18tranny:

There is a diode soldered between one of the switch terminals and out going wires

I would definitely check that diode.

From this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-system-11
People on there had some good info on how to try and isolate the problem, if it's with wiring/switches/etc. on the playfield. Some other people on that thread indicated that it could also be one of the resistor packs on the switch matrix. On your MPU board in the backbox, connectors J8 and J10 are the switch matrix connections. The manual I linked to you is missing the MPU schematic page 2, and that's where it would say what components those resistor packs are (because of course it is). In my Elvira manual, it's SR11, SR13, and SR14. They're little yellow components that will be close to the J8 and J10 connectors on the board.

#10 3 years ago

Also, as you start checking these switches and diodes, look for any improper wiring. The row wires (WHT-color) should be going to the non-banded side of the diode, and the column wires (GRN-color) should be going to the leaf of the switch that would transfer the signal to the banded side of the diode when the switch is closed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mskoenen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-road-kings-tilt-issue?tu=mskoenen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.