(Topic ID: 293049)

Williams Ringer, Penny Pitch, Darts (Owners Thread)

By Trizel

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by LarryB
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CORNHOLE CHALLENGE FLYER3 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20231202_220703_Facebook (resized).jpg
    IMG_9965 (resized).png
    IMG_9761 (resized).jpeg
    20230612_093746 (resized).jpg
    20230612_093241 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7861 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7862 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7860 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7858 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_7859 (resized).jpeg
    FB_IMG_1685570369901 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1685570369901 (resized).jpg
    1674597344308863296888443644053 (resized).jpg
    16745973109876237448181667785215 (resized).jpg
    16745972634672879689198119527988 (resized).jpg
    There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago

Not a ringer. But a prototype that was run during the ringer run.

61542447_1411814582289671_1295681587551141888_n (resized).jpg61542447_1411814582289671_1295681587551141888_n (resized).jpg

61648386_672275136528838_4919073546447093760_n (resized).jpg61648386_672275136528838_4919073546447093760_n (resized).jpg

#102 1 year ago

Now that's cool. I would love to find one of those.

How does it work? It looks like little pinball machines that you flick the lever to get the balls in varies areas for various points. Looks like a miniature CC Derby.

cderby9 (resized).jpgcderby9 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #103 1 year ago

Just got a Williams Ringer in on a trade with a friend of mine. Nice original condition! Plays correctly. Thinking of putting it on the market. Asking $3500 in the Phila suburbs. I can text pics to anyone interested. Thanks!

20220713_115945 (resized).jpg20220713_115945 (resized).jpg
    #104 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Thinking of putting it on the market. quoted image]

This is awesome thanks for posting.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Not a ringer. But a prototype that was run during the ringer run.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

If this is available, please PM me. Thx

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Just got a Williams Ringer in on a trade with a friend of mine. Nice original condition! Plays correctly. Thinking of putting it on the market. Asking $3500 in the Phila suburbs. I can text pics to anyone interested. Thanks!
    [quoted image]

Bumping this post. Anybody looking for a nice working Ringer? I had some casual inquiries but nothing serious.
    Also, my buddy thinks he has a couple of yellow instruction cards which he might be willing to part with. Not sure of his asking price yet, but I am waiting for him to get back to me on price. Anybody looking for one?

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Bumping this post. Anybody looking for a nice working Ringer? I had some casual inquiries but nothing serious.
    Also, my buddy thinks he has a couple of yellow instruction cards which he might be willing to part with. Not sure of his asking price yet, but I am waiting for him to get back to me on price. Anybody looking for one?

Id love to own one. But I can't pay the prices they seem to go for. Someday I'll get lucky.

#108 1 year ago

Hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction here. Picked up a non working Ringer very very cheap ha...and hoping to be able to get it running again. I don't know anything really about EM games but keep hearing this is a simple one, so want to try and figure it out. I did go through and clean all the contact with an ignition file to...but maybe I need to go back again and hit them some more. Anyway...here is what the game is doing...any advice on where to start is appreciated...

The game will credit up and the score reels will reset and that is about as far as it gets. The game over light stays on and the following coils seem to just fire over and over while the motor in the bottom continuously runs.

Score reset relay
    The smaller coils on the shot counter and horse shoe units
    Brake coil
    Lock relay
    2nd coin relay

Any thoughts would be appreciated and can get any video or pictures that may help.

#109 1 year ago

Sounds like your horseshoe or shot count stepper units zero position switches aren't open at the reset position. It could also be one of your score reels too (even though they all show zero). If you manually step the stepper units down by pushing the decrease coil plunger, there's a pin on the wheel that will open a switch to let the score motor know that it's been reset. That switch is the zero position switch. If any one of those switches is closed, the score motor is going to continuously run to try to reset the game. It could be something else, but that's where I'd concentrate my focus.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Sounds like your horseshoe or shot count stepper units zero position switches aren't open at the reset position. It could also be one of your score reels too (even though they all show zero). If you manually step the stepper units down by pushing the decrease coil plunger, there's a pin on the wheel that will open a switch to let the score motor know that it's been reset. That switch is the zero position switch. If any one of those switches is closed, the score motor is going to continuously run to try to reset the game. It could be something else, but that's where I'd concentrate my focus.

Rock and roll. Will take a spin through this and see what that turns up!

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I went back through and the score reels are resetting and the score reels switches look aligned good. I did go back and check both the horseshoe unit and the shot unit and the switches on those seem good too. The "back" switch on the horseshoe unit is open and the "front" is closed, and both are open on the shot unit. If I advance them both, they'll reset when I start a game there as well, but the coils I listed above still keep firing and the game won't start.

On the shot unit, the step up coil does look burnt, not sure if that would impact anything, or really cause the mass of other issues I seem to see.

Found some videos on this game and other EM stuff, and I have Clay's guide as well so I'm starting to at least understand what I'm looking at...but there are so many things firing I'm still a bit overwhelmed on where to look next. Can certainly get any pictures or video that may help someone see what I don't.

#112 1 year ago

As it turns out, my buddy has several of the yellow score cards for Ringer showing 5, 7 and 10 shots per game. NOS. If anybody needs any, they're $10 each.

20220727_105437 (resized).jpg20220727_105437 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #113 1 year ago

Well just when I think I'm done, I move the game to change the lock and create a new problem. Game was playing fine last night, now it won't advance past player 1 shot one. Any ideas where I should be looking first?

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Well just when I think I'm done, I move the game to change the lock and create a new problem. Game was playing fine last night, now it won't advance past player 1 shot one. Any ideas where I should be looking first?

If you get points on your first shot do they register or does the game just sit there after the wheel stops.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

If you get points on your first shot do they register or does the game just sit there after the wheel stops.

The points will register for player one, but then the game hangs up on player one shot one in basically an infinite loop. You can keep throwing and scoring but it won't advance past that.

4 weeks later
    #116 1 year ago

grantopia

Hey it would be nice if you shared the results of how you fixed your game.

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

grantopia

I believe his issue was a broken finger on a stepper unit?

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

grantopia

I believe his issue was a broken finger on a stepper unit?

Oh hey. Yep, wiper blade on the stepper unit was cracked and not making contact, soldered it back together.

1 month later
    #119 1 year ago

Finally joined the club!
    Reviewed all the posts, any good vids on flywheel disassembly? Any tips or tricks? I have a roll punch anything else?

IMG_20221017_114655353 (resized).jpgIMG_20221017_114655353 (resized).jpg

#120 1 year ago

Anyone that can give me dimensions for legs/feet for a Ringer machine? Mine does not have them. I wanted to fabricate a set.
    Also.. i have an average glass in my ringer and wanted to know who reroduced them?
    The up side is i have an NOS Penny Pitch glass I could put in. Thanks Matt

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtbpinball:

Also.. i have an average glass in my ringer and wanted to know who reroduced them?

BGresto

http://bgresto.com/?p=571

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from mtbpinball:

Anyone that can give me dimensions for legs/feet for a Ringer machine? Mine does not have them. I wanted to fabricate a set.
    The up side is i have an NOS Penny Pitch glass I could put in. Thanks Matt

See post #59

#123 1 year ago

So does anyone actually know where a darts is located? Just curious on how many people have played one let alone seen one.

2 weeks later
    #124 1 year ago

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Noticed my first player 10 score reel won't advance past 0. If you have 09 for example and hit a 3, the 1's score reel will advance over to "2", but the first player 10's reel will just stay on "0". Still fumbling my way through the schematic but any thoughts on where to check would be appreciated.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction here. Noticed my first player 10 score reel won't advance past 0. If you have 09 for example and hit a 3, the 1's score reel will advance over to "2", but the first player 10's reel will just stay on "0". Still fumbling my way through the schematic but any thoughts on where to check would be appreciated.

#126 1 year ago

I actually went through these again when I ran into this issue and I think I'm still missing something. That relay will advance the reels when I manually trigger it, and rhe reels will reset at game start, but the player 1 10's reel won't advance during a game. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the circuit but I'll keep poking around.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

but the player 1 10's reel won't advance during a game.

You'll maybe want to check the wires and make/break switches in the Player Relay.
    When the Player Relay is not in the energize position, the make/break switches are
    then completing the Player 1's circuitry..

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

You'll maybe want to check the wires and make/break switches in the Player Relay.
    When the Player Relay is not in the energize position, the make/break switches are
    then completing the Player 1's circuitry..

Thanks...I took a look there and all the wiring seems on good and the switches look like they are all closed when the game is in 1 player mode. Wondering if maybe there is something on the motor I am missing...

#129 1 year ago

If you're okay with schematics, you can see here the only difference between the
    1st Players 10s Score Reel energizing, and the 2nd Players is their 9th position switch
    in their 1s Score Reel Units, and the make/break in the Player Relay.
    You may want to do a little jumping to see where the circuit is at fault, but maybe
    first, you may want to make certain there's good contact with that make/break in
    the Player Relay (PLR. RE.)..
    Also maybe double check the wiring on the 1st Player's 9th position Drum Unit..

IMG_1160 (resized).JPGIMG_1160 (resized).JPG

#130 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

If you're okay with schematics, you can see here the only difference between the
    1st Players 10s Score Reel energizing, and the 2nd Players is their 9th position switch
    in their 1s Score Reel Units, and the make/break in the Player Relay.
    You may want to do a little jumping to see where the circuit is at fault, but maybe
    first, you may want to make certain there's good contact with that make/break in
    the Player Relay (PLR. RE.)..
    Also maybe double check the wiring on the 1st Player's 9th position Drum Unit..
    [quoted image]

Thanks! The bottom switch on the player 1 ones reel wasn't closing in the 9th position when I checked them all with my meter even though they looked closed, so that issue is sorted out.

I've got one more geremlin I need to flush out as now the shot counter doesn't want to advance past the first shot. I had a similar issue when I first got the game and I had to adjust a switch on the score motor so I am going to work backwards on this.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I had a similar issue when I first got the game and I had to adjust a switch on the score motor so I am going to work backwards on this.

Does the Shot Step Up advance okay when playing a 2 Player game?
    If so, You'll want to check the 2nd to the bottom set of contacts on
    Score Motor Cam 3, and also a closed set in the 2nd Coin Relay..
    If the issue's the same in both single and 2 Player, does the Player
    Control Relay energize when playing Single right after the first shot is
    completed? If not, that's what needs to be looked into.
    There's also a closed set of switches in the Extra Shots Relay that may
    need cleaning/adjusting..

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Thanks! Will check into this and report back. This happened once before and I had to just clean up the score motor switch a bit, so hoping it's just as simple to track down. Just got back from a few days out of town for work, so I will let you know what I find this week.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Control Relay

No real progress to report and still struggling through the schematics and order of operations on what should be happening. The game will not advance the shot in 1 player and will not move to the 2nd player in 2 player, it just stays on the first shot.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

The game will not advance the shot in 1 player and will not move to the 2nd player in 2 player, it just stays on the first shot.

Does the Play Control Relay energize right after a shot is completed?
    If not, check the make/break switches on the '0' Cam of the
    Control Motor..

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Does the Play Control Relay energize right after a shot is completed?
    If not, check the make/break switches on the '0' Cam of the
    Control Motor..

No it doesn't...those switches look good but anything specific I should be looking for there?

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

anything specific I should be looking for there?

Do you have a schematic, but not too familiar with it?
    Those make/break switches on the Control Motor's '0' cam
    and the Horse Shoe Unit's Wiper/Wiper board are what's
    in the Play Control Relay's circuitry.
    Actually, it looks like on the Horse Shoe Unit's 4th step
    up, the Play Control Relay should energize.
    You might want to make sure the Horse Shoe Unit's
    Wiper Board rivets are clean, and the Wiper is making
    true contact with the rivets. It's also a good idea to
    inspect the Wiper Board's wiring..

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Do you have a schematic, but not too familiar with it?
    Those make/break switches on the Control Motor's '0' cam
    and the Horse Shoe Unit's Wiper/Wiper board are what's
    in the Play Control Relay's circuitry.
    Actually, it looks like on the Horse Shoe Unit's 4th step
    up, the Play Control Relay should energize.
    You might want to make sure the Horse Shoe Unit's
    Wiper Board rivets are clean, and the Wiper is making
    true contact with the rivets. It's also a good idea to
    inspect the Wiper Board's wiring..

Yeah pretty much the situation I'm in ha. I have the manual and schematics. I'm familiar with pinball schematics and repair but trying to wrap my head around EM stuff has been an uphill battle for me. Trying to understand what the order of operations is and what switches control what relays and work back to where my issue is. I'll give those things a look as well!

2 months later
    #138 1 year ago

Finally got my Ringer working! This sat in my friend's garage for 30 years. Went through the entire game. Cleaned and adjusted switches - replaced a number of coils and capacitors-cleaned and adjusted steppers. Made final adjustments today. Works great! Ringer glass not that great... but have an nos Penny Pitch glass to hold me over. Now on to the cosmetics.

16745972634672879689198119527988 (resized).jpg16745972634672879689198119527988 (resized).jpg16745973109876237448181667785215 (resized).jpg16745973109876237448181667785215 (resized).jpg1674597344308863296888443644053 (resized).jpg1674597344308863296888443644053 (resized).jpg
    #139 1 year ago

Glad you got it working. It's such a fun game.
    Pretty cool you have the lid for the coin box. It even has the game name stenciled on.

P.S. Nice gameroom set up you have there.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

Glad you got it working. It's such a fun game.
    Pretty cool you have the lid for the coin box. It even has the game name stenciled on.
    P.S. Nice gameroom set up you have there.

Thanks. I have to make some legs also. The cosmetics will come. I have a few vintage arcade games. It's always great to get them back working again.

#141 1 year ago

Another one brought back, congrats. Thanks for sharing

4 months later
    #142 10 months ago

Looks like Gundam_Pilot_ found the ringer treasure chest lol

FB_IMG_1685570369901 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1685570369901 (resized).jpg

#143 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

Looks like Gundam_Pilot_ found the ringer treasure chest lol
    [quoted image]

That's cool! I've never seen a Darts.

#144 10 months ago

Here’s some pictures of the darts.

I found the machine like this. It clearly has a blown apart/missing stepper on the back door. That is what controls points off of the darts unit. Unfortunately the Manila envelope was empty.

There’s a couple indications that this may be #11 off the line. But I was under the impression only 9 existed in the first place. If anyone could tell me where their ringer is marked on a hard stamp into the wood, I would be interested to see if that’s what they did to mark the darts.

Also with ringer being #383, does that mean darts would fill the spot of missing game #384? Where would that be marked? Any help would be appreciated

IMG_7858 (resized).jpegIMG_7858 (resized).jpegIMG_7859 (resized).jpegIMG_7859 (resized).jpegIMG_7860 (resized).jpegIMG_7860 (resized).jpegIMG_7861 (resized).jpegIMG_7861 (resized).jpegIMG_7862 (resized).jpegIMG_7862 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #145 10 months ago

I just found this in my game today anyone know where It suppose to live?
    20230612_093241 (resized).jpg20230612_093241 (resized).jpg

Oops nevermind found it.

20230612_093746 (resized).jpg20230612_093746 (resized).jpg
    #146 10 months ago
    IMG_9761 (resized).jpegIMG_9761 (resized).jpeg
    #147 10 months ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

I just found this in my game today anyone know where It suppose to live?
    [quoted image]
    Oops nevermind found it. [quoted image]

For anyone that ever wonders why their game will not end the turn immediately when they overthrow the horseshoe pit, this is why.

For some reason games were not installed with this switch break on the horseshoe stepper, or a lot of them have just fallen off.

#148 10 months ago

So does anyone actually know where a darts is located? Just curious on how many people have played one let alone seen one.

I love it when a plan comes together.

#149 10 months ago

For anyone that ever wonders why their game will not end the turn immediately when they overthrow the horseshoe pit, this is why.
    For some reason games were not installed with this switch break on the horseshoe stepper, or a lot of them have just fallen off.

My gear doesn't have the switch break (not sure if it ever did) but instead has teeth cut off to prevent over driving the unit. I figured that was a fool proof way of not over driving the unit without relying on switches to be working/adjusted properly. This also gives the player feedback on how much they "over threw" (spun?) the horseshoe so they can adjust for next throw, instead of immediately ending their turn.

If anyone has the factory switch break - does your gear also have missing teeth at the final horseshoe position?

3 weeks later
    #150 9 months ago

Saw this posted on KLOV. What the …?

IMG_9965 (resized).pngIMG_9965 (resized).png
    There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-ringer-penny-pitch-darts-owners-thread/page/3?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.