(Topic ID: 293049)

Williams Ringer, Penny Pitch, Darts (Owners Thread)

By Trizel

40 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by cad-kid
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7003 (resized).JPG
    20210609_232743 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-143713_Drive (resized).jpg
    20210609_115502 (resized).jpg
    2D028A5E-33E3-4411-A8C0-C13DAFCFE71D (resized).jpeg
    20210605_120958 (resized).jpg
    20210603_081037 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20210529-223059_Photos (resized).jpg
    DSCN7250 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7249 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7209 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7218 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7217 (resized).JPG
    DSCN7205 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6997 (resized).JPG

#1 40 days ago

Welcome, I've noticed other EM games have their respective owners threads so I wanted to make one for this game and its variants. Where we share general info, repair tips, parts replacements/sourcing, and troubleshooting tips.

ringer (resized).JPG

Manuals / Docs
    Great source where you can find
    Instruction manual 22 Pages
    Parts Catalog BB supplement 4 Pages
    Score Cards 16 Pages
    https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=5056

STENCILS
    Pinball Pimp
    http://pinballpimpstencils.com/

PARTS
    Wheel Rubber Ring Size- 2 and 7/8th - original
    2.5 should work

Capacitors
    Axial Aluminum Electrolytic
    1000 uf 50v
    1500 uf 50v

Bulbs
    70 light bulbs, mostly type 44/47 and four 455 blinking lights for the name
    going LED should you go with ghosting or none ghosting I don't know. Does anyone have exp with this?

EM Finger Wiper
    Williams games use " C-6520" wiper

Score Wheel
    30C-7129

Facts
    Early production of Ringer had a 10 cent/3 for a quarter coin door. Later production had a 2/25 coin door.

Restore Videos by Pinball Mayhem, impressive work!

Brief Description
    One or two players can play. You spin the disk on the right side to throw the horseshoe towards the pit on the other side of the glass. As it spins, the horseshoe lights up going across the glass. It can land in the pit for one point, a leaner for two, or a ringer for three. You get seven shots per game, and if you get a ringer on the third or sixth (I think) shots, you get an extra toss. It is so simple and stupid, but it is fun.

Special Tools
    Bulb Remover - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1302-magaro-machines/04756-ultimate-bulb-remover

other pinside threads with ringer tips
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wms-ringer-start-up-help

#2 38 days ago

Great Group - I'm looking for one of these so I will follow! I would love to have any of them - I love the artwork on all of them too. Cheers!

1 week later
    #3 32 days ago

Very cool game restored one several years ago for a friend of mine at the Aliquippa Arcade Museum (Pinball PA)...Great game play too for an EM.

Have fun with it!

OHEMIO

#4 31 days ago

Can we get some commentary about the cooling fan mod shown on this one?
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-ringer-arcade-machine
    I'm pondering whether to install something similar on my Ringer.
    .................David Marston

#5 31 days ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

Never had an issue with ours granted its not installed in a hot barn so everyones needs may be different I guess. Not really a high tech game so seems overkill to me.

#6 31 days ago

@gunda

Quoted from dmarston:

Probably need to see if Gundam_Pilot_ will share his solution.

#7 31 days ago

High score to date on mine is 36 runs.
    On Frames 3, 6, and 7 getting a ringer "Shoots Again".
    Mine was very inconsistent with it's shots. Around the same amount of turns
    would vary widely, so I did a little testing and a little surgery on the backside
    of the Score Motor's wiper board, and instead of on (I believe) the 5th lit horseshoe,
    the clutch breaks away after the first two are lit. That made the amount of the wheel's
    turns much more consistent....

IMG_1457 (resized).JPG
    #8 31 days ago

Mopar what is your oil of choice for the wheel?

#9 31 days ago

Does anyone out there actually own the Darts version? The only real pictures I've ever seen are the ones on clay's site. No video out there I could find of it. The internal dart throwing mech for the light animation looks to be a different too. I've seen plenty of Ringers out there and Penny Pitch is just a different glass but never seen a Darts.

#10 30 days ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

what is your oil of choice for the wheel?

It's been years since I went through the Ringer. I use Remmington Gun Oil for quite
    a few applications, so there's a good chance that was the final one used when servicing
    the wheel. The wheel still spins freely and smoothly..

#11 30 days ago

I've been tring to buy a Ringer for a while now, like 3 years... Hopefully one will turn up at a reasonable price, and I'll add it to my personal collection..

Thanks for starting this thread.

Steve
    Mi Pinball Refinery

#12 30 days ago

One thing I did to my Ringer was add a third hole closer to the switch for the nylon peg in the off-weight wheel. This is to give a few more last second switch hits as the wheel swings back and forth just before it stops swinging. People think they have a ringer but then, bam! 3 more switch hits and now they they get 1 point. Similarly, you might think that you didn't do a good spin, and the next thing you know, RINGER!

PXL_20210517_223353511 (resized).jpg
    #13 30 days ago
    Quoted from RazerX:

Does anyone out there actually own the Darts version?

I don't own one, but I saw it on location for a few months at a restaurant in Hanover, NH. This would be back when it was up for location testing in 1971 or so. I guess it didn't pass the test.

#14 30 days ago

Nice Schudel this type of info is awesome!!

Quoted from schudel5:

One thing I did to my Ringer was add a third hole closer to the switch for the nylon peg in the off-weight wheel. This is to give a few more last second switch hits as the wheel swings back and forth just before it stops swinging. People think they have a ringer but then, bam! 3 more switch hits and now they they get 1 point. Similarly, you might think that you didn't do a good spin, and the next thing you know, RINGER!
    [quoted image]

#15 30 days ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

Nice Schudel this type of info is awesome!!

Mike is like the Ringer ninja master.

#16 30 days ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I don't own one, but I saw it on location for a few months at a restaurant in Hanover, NH. This would be back when it was up for location testing in 1971 or so. I guess it didn't pass the test.

That's too bad if they never made any past testing. It looks like it would've been fun.

#17 30 days ago

First of all, thanks Trizel for starting this club!!!! Here's my project and now freshly restored Ringer & Penny Pitch combo. This thing had the crap played out of it and was quite a basket case. Plus somebody thought it would look great to paint the cabinet gray with a roller >sigh< . One bonus was somehow the goodie bag survived which you can see stapled next to the coin door opening. I almost went with the yellow cabinet as on the flyer but thought it might look too loud; glad i stayed with the more mellow blue base color. The alternate themed penny pitch backglass is interesting but not nearly as good as horseshoes. My kids get horseshoes but were like "what the heck is penny pitching?". This is the ultimate hold beer in one hand while you simultaneously play the game with your other hand and BS with friends. Very fun party game.

20200718_225824 (resized).jpg20200718_225838 (resized).jpg20210326_214124 (resized).jpg20210518_023004 (resized).jpg20210518_023017 (resized).jpg
    #18 29 days ago

Damn bbriese!!!!! She is beautiful!! No problem, I love having a place to store info that I can refer back to when I forget. Can you share any restore tips.... paint color, did you spray yours? Did you rechome or what cleaner did you use on wheel and coin door. OG playfield lights or LED? Any lessons learned in teardown or reassembly? What oil did you use on wheel?

#19 28 days ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

Damn bbriese!!!!! She is beautiful!! No problem, I love having a place to store info that I can refer back to when I forget. Can you share any restore tips.... paint color, did you spray yours? Did you rechome or what cleaner did you use on wheel and coin door. OG playfield lights or LED? Any lessons learned in teardown or reassembly? What oil did you use on wheel?

As i stripped off the gray paint i was able to make out the original lines, from which i was able to make a set of stencils - a very tedious task. I probably would have gotten with Pinball Pimp for these had I not been able to make out the original outlines. The cabinet paint I used was all rattle can rust-oleum safety blue for base, rust-oleum safety red for the horseshoes and rust-oleum 2X golden sunset for the yellow parts.

I mirror polished the spinning wheel shaft with a cotton wheel and polishing compound, cleaned out the bronze bushings with alcohol and then wiped on a few coats of this dry teflon bike lube amazon.com link » on everything (which by the way works great on steppers and other mech's), and man that thing spins forever.

The wheel was pitted and flaking badly so i sent that along with the coin door insert to Chris Royalty at Hot Rod Arcade and he did a fantastic job of reconditioning and chrome plating. The stainless steel part of the coin door I re-grained with some fine scotch-brite and windex which took out most of the random scratches and gave it a nice even sheen.

For back-lighting I put in comet warm white 2-SMD's with a frosted lens, except the four blinkers which are original 455's. The LED's flicker just a bit but it is nearly un-noticeable if you're not specifically looking at it.

There was nothing special about the mechanics and steppers, standard dis-assembling and cleaning/polishing/lubing all the mechs. There are waaaaay less mechanisms with this game than an EM pinball machine so in that regard it was less time consuming and easier to troubleshoot when it first started up.

20210519_221327 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #20 18 days ago

I got mine about 3 years ago. She was looking pretty tired. To make things worse, it fell onto it's back during shipping, completely destroying the back glass.
    Took it all apart and repaired the cabinet then repainted using stencils from Pinball Pimp. A couple of hours on the buffing wheel cleaned up the wheel and coin door. Took apart and cleaned every switch contact and stepper. I tried LEDs when I re-lamped, but I had a lot of ghosting so switched back to #47s. Ordered a new back glass from BGResto. The only thing I haven't been able to replace is the yellow plastic instruction strip that runs under the back glass. Mine was pretty beat and non usable.

As for adding the fan, I believe that is in case someone starts a game but doesn't finish it. At the beginning of each shot a coil is energized to pull the wheel with the switch contacts into the wheel that you spin. After about two revolutions, this coil de-energizes so you can't try to slow down or speed up the wheel to influence your shot. The problem is, if you walk away without finishing the game, that coil stays energized and will overheat. In fact, I had to replace mine when I did the rebuild.

DSCN6693 (resized).JPGDSCN6697 (resized).JPGDSCN6704 (resized).JPGDSCN6705 (resized).JPGDSCN6706 (resized).JPGDSCN6707 (resized).JPGDSCN6748 (resized).JPGDSCN6749 (resized).JPGDSCN6811 (resized).JPGDSCN6812 (resized).JPGDSCN6814 (resized).JPGDSCN6927 (resized).JPGDSCN6951 (resized).JPGDSCN6953 (resized).JPGDSCN6972 (resized).JPGDSCN6981 (resized).JPGDSCN6984 (resized).JPGDSCN6997 (resized).JPGDSCN7002 (resized).JPGDSCN7205 (resized).JPGDSCN7209 (resized).JPGDSCN7217 (resized).JPGDSCN7218 (resized).JPGDSCN7249 (resized).JPGDSCN7250 (resized).JPG
    #21 18 days ago

Love Ringer I got lucky when I found mine. Got listed on Craigslist nearby, was sitting in a storage unit.

Screenshot_20210529-223059_Photos (resized).jpg
    #22 18 days ago

Nice thanks for sharing dhutton awesome score coolpinballdino

#23 14 days ago

I joined the team finally. Now to put all that great info into action. Let the restore begin.
    20210603_081037 (resized).jpg

#24 13 days ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I got mine about 3 years ago. She was looking pretty tired.

Good job. I know how much work is into that..
    When I first got in the hobby (early 90s), I was picking up Wedge Heads for 75 bucks from an old
    3 story Gris Mill warehouse, and there was this machine called Ringer. Who knew. Could have had
    it for $75.00 I do have one from a trade deal and did okay, but I certainly have more than 75 bucks
    invested into the one I now have.

#25 13 days ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Good job. I know how much work is into that..
    When I first got in the hobby (early 90s), I was picking up Wedge Heads for 75 bucks from an old
    3 story Gris Mill warehouse, and there was this machine called Ringer. Who knew. Could have had
    it for $75.00 I do have one from a trade deal and did okay, but I certainly have more than 75 bucks
    invested into the one I now have.

I really enjoyed working on this. It's one of my wife's any my favorite games.
    Usually when working on an EM, I would only break down and clean what was needed, but on this I cleaned every switch blade with a fiberglass pencil.
    There is just something about EM's that make then special.

#26 12 days ago

Two questions

Is there a tool i dont know about to remove the playfield bulbs? Those holes are small

Looks like I need to replace some relays anyone have a source for Z-28 1150?

Thanks

#27 12 days ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

Two questions
    Is there a tool i dont know about to remove the playfield bulbs? Those holes are small
    Thanks

A small piece of 3/8" fuel hose works great.

Quoted from Trizel:

Two questions
    Thanks

20210605_120958 (resized).jpg
    #28 12 days ago
    Quoted from bbriese:

A small piece of 3/8" fuel hose.

Damn, innovative I love it!

#29 12 days ago

never seen a yellow cabinet before. I had the production blue one.

#30 10 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

never seen a yellow cabinet before. I had the production blue one.

I've only seen the yellow on some of the flyers. Glad they went with the blue.

#31 9 days ago

Yes, there is a tool.
    CTA Tools 1012 Mini Bulb Remover/Installer amazon.com link »

2D028A5E-33E3-4411-A8C0-C13DAFCFE71D (resized).jpeg
    #32 8 days ago

damn you for making me spend money. I currently use a coil sleeve with a shooter tip shoved in the end, in reverse. makes a good bulb extractor. but this would be great for those that are really stuck in.

#33 7 days ago

Is this glass edging a custom addition or was this how they were sold originaly?
    20210609_115502 (resized).jpg

Ahh stock as seen in the parts catalog.

Screenshot_20210609-143713_Drive (resized).jpg
    #34 7 days ago

Hey guys, ? I am getting everything cleaned up and decided to tackle the caps. Does this layout seem correct to you? I also had a rogue wire I didn't see on schematics running in parallel to the resistor?
    20210609_232743 (resized).jpg

#35 6 days ago

Denethor djblouw tagging you guys in case you still own one and haven't found this thread yet.

#36 3 days ago

Does anyone have their game wired for 10c? If so could you share pictures of the coin up switch wiring and the coin door harness jones plug as well. Thanks.

#37 2 days ago
    Quoted from Trizel:

Hey guys, ? I am getting everything cleaned up and decided to tackle the caps. Does this layout seem correct to you? I also had a rogue wire I didn't see on schematics running in parallel to the resistor?
    [quoted image]

The wiring of the caps looks correct. I'm not sure what that other wire is doing. Where does it go?

DSCN7003 (resized).JPG
    #38 2 days ago

Great to see a thread for this game. This is an awesome addition to any game room. Its hard to believe so many of these got thrown away back in the day.

#39 1 day ago

Thanks Trizel for highlighting Ed's video on Pinball Mayhem's YouTube channel. Here's the link to the 17 video playlist
    Jeremy (Pinball Mayhem)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKBzlsEWMlPKql9T5QMCszjExZ7nC4S4k
    3 (resized).JPG

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside