(Topic ID: 220696)

Williams Resets (Indianapolis 500)

By Glossy_Baller

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys, I'm having some trouble with my 1996 Indianapolis 500 machine. It has had an intermittent reset issue that has been going on for about a year now. It cleared up on it's own for quite a while and just came back. Just to be clear, this is a reset (machine cuts completely off and turns itself back on; not a tilt or anything like that).

I have some ideas and I'm looking for more advice. First off, if anyone has the wiring schematic for this game, that would be awesome. I had some other issues and had to chase wires down by hand.

I checked voltage at the wall and the auxiliary outlet inside the machine, getting a solid 120 VAC. Measuring TP1, I'm getting 5 VDC, which should be correct. On J101 though, the red wires are 5.3 VAC and the blue/white wires are 8.7 VAC. The other end of these wires (where they first come out of the transformer) are basically the same, maybe 0.1 V higher. I was under the impression these wires should be carrying 9 VAC and 13 VAC, which leads me to believe the transformer isn't working correctly.

The fact that I'm getting 5 VDC on TP2 seems odd to me but the only thing that I can think of is that the bridge rectifier is working correctly, but struggles with the low input voltage during high power draws. It's not consistent, but I have seen it reset after hitting both flippers at the same time. At other times, it does seem to reset whenever there is a lot of action on the playfield.

I'm new to pinball repair so I will mention this as well, just in case it means something. The reset issue seems worse when it first starts up and gets better the longer you play it. I read elsewhere online that this is typically caused by a thermistor issue, but I don't see one on this machine. Unless it's hidden inside the power box...

Any advice you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!

#2 5 years ago

Welcome to pinside, Glossy_Baller
You'll get better answers posting on a Solid State forum. This is Electro Mechanical

#4 5 years ago

Thread moved to Modern Pinball Tech..

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Glossy_Baller:

First off, if anyone has the wiring schematic for this game, that would be awesome.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2853/indy500manualfull.pdf

Game wiring can be found in Section 3.

#6 5 years ago

Awesome, thanks for the help. When I get the time, I'm going to dive into this deeper. I'll post back if I find anything.

2 months later
#7 5 years ago

In case it helps anyone else, I wanted to post back and let everyone know that I had been checking the voltages incorrectly. On J101, I was checking the voltages against a ground braid / common DC ground. Being AC, you should check voltage from one red wire to the other red wire and likewise one blue/white to the other blue/white wire. Doing this, my voltages are reading correctly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Charlotte, NC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Hardware
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.96
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
PinSound

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

€ 17.50
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-resets-indianapolis-500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.