(Topic ID: 259340)

Williams Reset Bank coil core gets mechanically stuck

By swampwiz

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampwiz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've got a Williams Alpine Club that I'm getting ready to get shipped to its buyer, and have been working out the kinks that have developed after sitting in my garage for a decade. Giving all the switches and count unit pads a good scrub with Deoxit has pretty much gotten it back to being fully functional ... with one small issue.

The Reset Bank coil core - the coil of which gets actuated momentarily when doing a new game - is getting *mechanically* stuck. The voltage pops up & down like it should, but the core doesn't snap back. However, if I tap on the side of the Reset Bank assembly with a stick, it gets unstuck, and then everything works as it should.

And it doesn't get stuck if I push it in all the way when the game is off, so the spring & mechanism seem to be working fine. I've been trying to get WD-40 over all the joints for the mechanism, and hopefully time and motion will get that to work its way into the joints. Another thing that could have happened is that it has suddenly become warm & humid in the garage, and not cool & dry like it had been when it was working fine.

I am open to any suggestions.

#2 4 years ago

I should say that the voltage for the reset coil doesn't go immediately back to 0, but within a second is below 1V, and then it decays with a half-life of maybe 5 seconds?

Also, there is some slack in the bushings for the Reset Bank assembly (i.e., where it is affixed to the cabinet plate).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampwiz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-reset-bank-coil-core-gets-mechanically-stuck?tu=swampwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.