3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gawlicd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210303_121354 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Puzzling to me.
    Should there be 1 or 2 curved metal plates below the screwhead for the switch stacks. ? If some of these plates are not available anymore, does anyone have a work around. Some of my stacks had 2 curved metal plates that were opposed to each other, just didnt know if this was someones idea for more tension for loosening stack issues.

Are the relay plate mounting screw grommets needed or can I just mount them flush to the board or will some rubber or O rings work as a spacer below the plate. Ive read other posts but didn't come up with a definitive answer.

20210303_121354 (resized).jpg20210303_121354 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

To me, you don't need two plates - just one. They serve the same purpose a a belleville washer - that is, just provide additional tension to keep the stack tight.

PBR probably sells the pieces, but I don't know that for sure.

#3 3 years ago

As long as there is at least one tension plate on the switch stack, you should be OK. If you have some stacks with two plates, you could "borrow" one of those two and move it to a stack that is missing the plate. The important thing is to make sure the screws are down tight.

The grommet cushions on a relay plate are there to help prevent the relay from being mechanically actuated by the vibration of the coils firing on the machine. If a relay has a cushion mounting, you should preserve it if you can. If you don't have replacement grommets, you can attach the relay mount without a cushion, but it's better if you don't. An o-ring is kind of thin, but it would be better than nothing. Grommets should not be all that difficult to find online if you don't have a local store that carries them.

I have personally tried mounting a cushioned relay without the grommets in a game I was rebuilding, and have had the relay get triggered during game play from vibration. So the grommets are important, and now I always make sure they are there if that is how the factory did it.

- TimMe

#4 3 years ago

The coin relay and start relay typically are mounted on rubber grommets. This is because "kids" would kick the bottom of the machine to try to get free credits from vibrating said relays.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks guys,
    Makes sense now. The curved spring steel spacers that have rusted away are unavailable but I have plenty of doubles I can steal 1 from keeping some tension integrity. PBR has the proper grommets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-relay-switch-stack-metal-plates-and-grommet-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.