Williams Reboot???

By Pinballdad1961

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I am a total newbie to solid state machines and probably should get out before I fall into a black hole, but I will ask a question first.

I'm looking at a Cyclone that the owner claims needs a "factory reboot". What does this mean and how do you do it?

#2 6 years ago

You should ask him what that entails and why it needs it, because that's not a "thing" as far as I know.

There's "factory reset" which restores to default settings and can sometimes clear up some issues, or you sometimes have to do if there are problems related to the batteries, but it would be weird to say it needs it, as anyone can just do it by pressing a few buttons.

#3 6 years ago

I read the factory reset in the manual, but wasn't sure what was a reboot -- thanks for the reply!

#4 6 years ago

I'd be suspicious why he hasn't done the factory reset himself if that's "all it needs", as it is only a few clicks. Plus, there's very few problems that would fix, so it usually shouldn't be 'needed'.

#5 6 years ago

It is probably booting up with Factory Restore on the screen. This means that the batteries have been taken out or are dead. It could also mean that there is battery damage on the MPU board.

Sean

#6 6 years ago

If that is all it needs ask him to do it. There are a lot of people here that have Cyclones and I don't mean to step on their toes but the game is boring as fuck. If you are just going to have one pin do not buy that one as you will be bored with it in no time.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If that is all it needs ask him to do it. There are a lot of people here that have Cyclones and I don't mean to step on their toes but the game is boring as fuck. If you are just going to have one pin do not buy that one as you will be bored with it in no time.

His profile says he currently has 5 games, but I agree. This is not a game I would be clamoring for either.

It comes down to this - either it works or it doesn't. Tell the seller you're willing to pay his asking price if the game is functioning. If not, tell him you'd like $275 off the price for new boards.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from scasey:

It is probably booting up with Factory Restore on the screen. This means that the batteries have been taken out or are dead. It could also mean that there is battery damage on the MPU board.
Sean

this is the most likely scenario

#9 6 years ago

Answers to all the questions regarding this problem:

3n. When thing don't work: "Factory Setting" or "Adjustment Error" (Battery Problems)
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index3.htm#factory

#10 6 years ago

I thought there was going to be an announcement that Williams was making a comeback...

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I thought there was going to be an announcement that Williams was making a comeback...

Same

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

This may be the best advice in this thread. I love how this game looks, especially with bright LED's, but holy hell at the local arcade I always trick myself into playing this game and then 5 minutes later I'm looking at myself like "why did I just do that?". Especially as it's next to an ES and WW!

Cyclone may be a hit with you/family/friends for a while, but it unfortunately won't have a lot of staying power. Even Rollergames would be a substantial upgrade at what's probably the same price point.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Cyclone may be a hit with you/family/friends for a while, but it unfortunately won't have a lot of staying power. Even Rollergames would be a substantial upgrade at what's probably the same price point.

To each his own, I respectfully disagree. My buddies only game, and only game forever - and my story of how I even got into pinball.
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/wayout440/stories/hey-you-with-the-face

#14 6 years ago

I'm always leery of games that "Just need a switch adjusted" or "It's probably just a wire or something"

It's ALL switches and wires if you know which ones to adjust, replace, and you even CAN get the switches, chips, and other assorted parts!

-Brian

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Guilty of same thought, then let down...

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Man, if that were to happen the next sound you heard would be of the hammer nailing the coffin closed on Stern.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Thought the same thing!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

Thought the same thing!

Williams (now WMS) is focused on iGaming (gambling)...they will never be involved in the pinball market again, I guarantee it.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Man, if that were to happen the next sound you heard would be of the hammer nailing the coffin closed on Stern.

No way, Stern isn't going anywhere.

#20 6 years ago

Thanks to all that replied!

1. Sorry about the title looking like Williams was returning to pinballs.

2. The tech responses were very helpful and informative.

3. Based upon some of the gameplay responses, I decided to pass on the game and continue on my quest for my unpublished wishlist games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-reboot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.