(Topic ID: 213488)

Williams Rancho troubles

By Pneuma

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Runbikeskilee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

I am not familiar with the Rancho, but possibly, was the bonus intended to reset to 0 points and then step up to 10,000 when the ball is released to the plunger lane? If so, a possible culprit might be mis-allignment of the spider arms wrt the electrical contacts, such that the machine is resetting to 10,000 and then stepping up to 20,000 ?

If so, the position of the spider arms at max bonus value may be beyond the range of electrical contacts on the board and thus showing no bonus.

I will try and take a look at the bonus units on my GP and EM Hot Tip today, to see if I can discern how they operate.

#5 6 years ago

I inspected the bonus stepper on Hot Tip and Grand Prix. They were a little different, but both basically had spider arms and a circular array of 11 brass contacts. When the bonus counts down, the spider arm goes back to the first brass contact. When the ball gets ejected to the shooter lane, the spider arm moves up to the 2nd brass contact. When the bonus stepper reaches maximum bonus, the spider arm is resting on the 11th (and last) brass contact.

Can you check your bonus unit to see if it functions similarly and that the board is not misaligned such that the spider arm might be resetting to the 2nd brass contact and stepping up to the 3rd contact when the ball ejects to the shooter lane?

L

#8 6 years ago

Without going back down and opening up one of my Williams EMs, I hazily recall that you will need to raise the playfield and then manually operate the plunger of the bonus reset coil until it steps back down as far as it will go. If the spider arm(s) does appear to be resting on the 2nd brass contact, then the usual way (provided nothing is bent or broken with the mechanism) was to loosen a couple fasteners on the rectangular board with the brass contacts and then actually rotate the board itself until the first contact is aligned with the spider arm. See if that makes sense?

Lee

#10 6 years ago

Cool! Now you're an expert on adjusting late-70's Williams bonus steppers. Next, you need to go play some test games. LOL.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Runbikeskilee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rancho-troubles?tu=Runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.