Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0CE393D0-8308-4130-B755-8B2773CA90D8 (resized).jpeg
Capture1 (resized).PNG
Capture2 (resized).PNG
Rancho motor switch (resized).JPG
Rancho problem (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I have been repairing EM pinballs for years, but this has me flummoxed. After the reset sequence is completed, everything zeroed, the bonus unit starts adding bonus steps until it maxes out. My first thought is one of the six advance bonus playfield switches are stuck closed. Nope. Not the wires connected to those switches either. I have the manual and schematic. I am not seeing where the problem is. Any thoughts on this, expert or beginner, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

I'd carefully check all the switches marked in yellow in this schematic snippet. Maybe you could block each with paper and see if the problem disappears. (Obviously, look for shorts too.)

Is your Outhole relay locked on for some reason? If so, that would account for it, I think. A switch on that relay makes the score motor run and would allow pulses to get to your bonus step up coil through that 3-B motor switch. (I think the 2 motor switches with red check marks beside them are mismarked - should be "B" instead of "C") You could block that switch with paper and see what happens. If that's the problem, you'll have to figure out why that relay is on when it shouldn't be.

Good luck!

Rancho problem (resized).JPGRancho problem (resized).JPG
Rancho motor switch (resized).JPGRancho motor switch (resized).JPG

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from paulace:

I'd carefully check all the switches marked in yellow in this schematic snippet. Maybe you could block each with paper and see if the problem disappears. (Obviously, look for shorts too.)
Is your Outhole relay locked on for some reason? If so, that would account for it, I think. A switch on that relay makes the score motor run and would allow pulses to get to your bonus step up coil through that 3-B motor switch. (I think the 2 motor switches with red check marks beside them are mismarked - should be "B" instead of "C") You could block that switch with paper and see what happens. If that's the problem, you'll have to figure out why that relay is on when it shouldn't be.
Good luck!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Spent another hour and a half on this today. Thanks for your suggestions. The only other time I have seen a game this messed up was with a jones plug that was not seated properly. Went over all score motor switches and relay bank switches looking for missing spacers or touching wires. Nothing that I can see yet. I’ve got to get ready for work now, but I’ll be back at it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

#4 3 years ago

Keep an eye out for solder splashes that might be bridging any switches from the Bakelite stacks.

#5 3 years ago

The Delay relay sw. B 'opens circuits to Bonus relay and Outhole relay' and also has a capacitor which may need checking or replacement.

Capture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNG
#6 3 years ago

Best game ever! Good luck hope you get it running! the first pin I ever played!

#7 3 years ago

If my suggestion above-which is a bit of a long shot-isn't it, these are the things that energize the Bonus unit step up. You may want to de-solder and move some things to get a really good look.

Capture1 (resized).PNGCapture1 (resized).PNG
#8 3 years ago

I woke up this morning wondering how closely the '0' pos. sw. on the Bonus Unit was checked. More than a visual?

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I woke up this morning wondering how closely the '0' pos. sw. on the Bonus Unit was checked. More than a visual?

Interesting thought, and I should have checked the bonus unit first. Great idea!

#10 3 years ago

Found a missing plastic leaf lifter on the 2nd switch stack from the left, top most switches. Not sure if this is my start problem.
Zero position switch on bonus unit not a factor in this start problem. The bonus unit does not appear to be the problem at this time.
Have another set of switches with an intact leaf lifter. I’ll see if that changes anything tomorrow.

0CE393D0-8308-4130-B755-8B2773CA90D8 (resized).jpeg0CE393D0-8308-4130-B755-8B2773CA90D8 (resized).jpeg
4 weeks later
#11 3 years ago

2 new machines delivered. This is on the back burner for now. Thanks for your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rancho-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.