• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2775 (resized).JPG
IMG_2775 path 1 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm working on a Williams Rancho and it's having trouble advancing to the next ball/player. It does it sometimes but not always, so I think there is a switch somewhere that is dirty or misaligned. I've attached the schematic that involves the ball count step up and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions. I outlined what I believe are the two paths, one for one player, and one for two player. I think that red and blue is for one player, but only the red will pulse the coil for two players. Is that correct?

I've worked on both of these paths and still having the issue. Are there any suggestions on what could still be the problem? Maybe I just need to clean better, but it is getting a little frustrating.

IMG_2775 path 1 (resized).jpgIMG_2775 path 1 (resized).jpgIMG_2775 (resized).JPGIMG_2775 (resized).JPG
#2 2 years ago

It’s probably a long shot but I had the exact same behavior on my Top Card ball count unit step up and it turned out to be a weak solder joint on one of the step up coil tabs.

I assume the unit steps up manually?

#3 2 years ago

The Ball Count Unit positions are likely: player 1 ball 1, player 2 ball 1, player 1 ball 2, player 2 ball 2, etc.. So the Ball Count Unit will always take at least one step up when the ball drains. When there isn't a 2nd player, it will take a 2nd step up to skip over the 2nd player's position on the Ball Count Unit.

On the schematic above the single "always happens" pulse comes through the Score Motor 3A switch since there is nothing in that circuit that knows about another player. The optional second pulse comes through the Score Motor 2A switch only if the 2nd Coin relay hasn't fired, which indicates that a 2nd player is playing.

If the Ball Count Unit occasionally won't step at all, it could be any of the four switches in the Score Motor 3A (red) path that aren't closing reliably. You could use a jumper wire to bypass one or more switches (described elsewhere in the forum) to see if you can identify the intermittent switch, or just recheck that all of the switches are clean, have enough tension and close with enough over travel or swipe.

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-rancho-ball-step-up-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.