6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Most of my work over the years on pop bumpers has been on Gottlieb EM games with the replaceable stop on the pop bumper brackets.

A friend came to me last week with a problem with his Williams Solids and Stripes. The pop bumper plungers and stops were all very worn, to the point they needed replacing. Not an issue at first since PBR makes a pop bumper rebuild kit with new links and plunger. But the swaged stops on the pop bumper brackets need to be replaced and PBR says to grind out the old stops and install their Gottlieb A4862+ stops.

I'm concerned, because the Gottlieb stops are taller than the Williams stops were, that the plunger stroke will become shorter which will cause the pop bumper to become weaker.

What I have noticed is that the SS Williams pop bumper brackets have the same dimensions as the Williams EM pop bumper brackets with the shorter stop swaged into place. PBR says you will get buzzing from using a SS stopped pop bumper bracket in an EM game. It seems to me that it should not matter on a pop bumper as the plunger strike to the stop is only momentary. How could any buzzing develop if the plunger is not held to the stop.

I'm writing because PBR does not recommend use of the Williams SS pop bumper brackets in the Williams EM games.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Sorry for so many questions on this subject without any real experience to relate to but I don't have a Williams EM of this era to test on.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Does anyone have experience with this?

Could you post a picture of the EM one please ?

I'd use the Williams one. If it buzzes, put a small piece of black electricians tape on the coil stop where the plunger rests, that would stop buzz.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

I'm concerned, because the Gottlieb stops are taller than the Williams stops were, that the plunger stroke will become shorter which will cause the pop bumper to become weaker.

Are the plungers the same length?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pop-bumper-brackets-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.