Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 67 days ago by Vdubbinn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

police (resized).PNG

#1 3 months ago

I have a Williams Police force that I purchased years ago and the right lower sling was not working. Upon inspection I found that the coil was disconnected and when I hooked it up the coil immediately energized on power up and stuck on. I have looked at the MPU/Driver board and cannot find any bad components, bad transistors, etc. on it, the coil has also been replaced as the original one looked kind of crispy. I even had the board looked by Edward Cheung and was told that he could not find and issue with the board itself. I have looked at multiple things and am at a loss of why and would like to get it fixed so the game functions correctly. Can anybody on here give some further insight on where I need to look other than the MPU/Driver board that might be causing this issue?

#2 3 months ago
Quoted from Vdubbinn:

I have a Williams Police force that I purchased years ago and the right lower sling was not working. Upon inspection I found that the coil was disconnected and when I hooked it up the coil immediately energized on power up and stuck on. I have looked at the MPU/Driver board and cannot find any bad components, bad transistors, etc. on it, the coil has also been replaced as the original one looked kind of crispy. I even had the board looked by Edward Cheung and was told that he could not find and issue with the board itself. I have looked at multiple things and am at a loss of why and would like to get it fixed so the game functions correctly. Can anybody on here give some further insight on where I need to look other than the MPU/Driver board that might be causing this issue?

Interesting. Sounds like a blown transistor. But if you’ve tested them, then I don’t know.

Any fuses blowing?

#3 3 months ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Interesting. Sounds like a blown transistor. But if you’ve tested them, then I don’t know.
Any fuses blowing?

No fuses blowing or blown. like I said I checked all the transistors and then when I couldn’t find anything wrong with the board and it was still doing it I sent it to a professional only to be told I was correct, there’s nothing wrong with the board.

#4 3 months ago

Did you try pulling the connector that corresponds to that coil on the cpu in question and see if it still
Locks on when turned on?

Need to figure out if issue is on cpu or under pf.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from Vdubbinn:

like I said I checked all the transistors and then when I couldn’t find anything wrong with the board and it was still doing it I sent it to a professional only to be told I was correct

You need to replace the transistor on the aux power supply.

#6 3 months ago

Check Q-8 and D-5 on the aux power supply.

1 week later
#7 89 days ago

Sorry guys, didn't see that there was some responses. I will check both of your suggestions today and follow up.

#8 87 days ago

Tested the Aux power/Driver board and found that one of the TIP36C’s was bad at location Q8 and the 1N4003 at D-5 didn’t seem to be within spec either. I have some NTE116’s to replace the 1N4003 but un fortunately I don’t have any 36C’s laying around so I have to sit and wait for new ones in the mail to see if that fixes my problem. Thanks guys, I’ll follow up once I get the parts and let you know if it fixes the issue

#9 87 days ago

Those TIP36C's usually do not fail. Also, test that diode out of circuit...there are a couple on that board that will test closed both ways in circuit. FWIW, I had the same issue with mine...which went back to acid damage to the MPU. What a pain in the ass that was. Hope yours is just the Aux board transistor.

#10 86 days ago

Betting it is the diode. Just fixed a friend's Taxi with the exact same problem.

2 weeks later
#11 68 days ago

Not sure which component it was but I replaced both the diode and the Tip 36C transistor and viola, my coil is no longer stuck. Now I need to look at a few other things, my right ramp diverter won't stay out to divert the ball and the lights on the top of the police car don't seem to be working. Thanks for the help!

#12 68 days ago

Playball!!

#13 68 days ago

Also just fixed the diverter issue, found that the spring was missing on the little plastic cam so it wouldn't lock like it was supposed to, next issue is the car lights

#14 68 days ago
Quoted from Vdubbinn:

Also just fixed the diverter issue, found that the spring was missing on the little plastic cam so it wouldn't lock like it was supposed to, next issue is the car lights

Great that it was an easy fix. Was going to post #police-force diverter thread in case you hadnt see it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/police-force-diverter-diagnosis#post-2860894

#15 67 days ago

If none of the leds are working look for a bad connection on the yellow wire.

police (resized).PNG
#16 67 days ago

Yeah, none of the lights are working. Got it torn apart and looking at the traces and whether it has power going through it. Thanks for posting the info

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 110.00
Playfields
PinBall Reborn
$ 50.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside