You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ZodiacPlanetsTiltCircuit (resized).png
ZodiacPlanetsBallUnitStepUp (resized).png
Planets score motor (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I am working on a Williams Planets that when you start a game it will keep cycling, like it is looking for the ball. When you get it to catch and start a game, once the first ball is drained, it starts cycling thru the balls again. EMs are NOT my strong point and to be honest, I am not sure where on this machine to start looking.

Any suggestions?

#2 4 years ago

Ok it could be a misadjusted switch start with the drain switch and see if it properly adjusted.The most problems that occur with EM’s are switches.

#3 4 years ago

There's a schematic on ipdb.org:
Planets score motor (resized).jpgPlanets score motor (resized).jpg
There are nine different normally open switches that connect to the orange-green wire that sends power to the Score Motor. Any one of those switches being closed or shorted could cause the motor to run. Check each one visually to see if you can tell which ones are closed. If that doesn't help block the switches with paper to see which ones when blocked will let the motor stop. One of the nine switches could be the problem or it could be the relay that's closing the switch that is the problem. Either way you need to figure out which switch is closed.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

Thank you both very much! EM's are my weakness. I have been trying to buy a couple cheap ones, to mess with in my free time, but you know how that goes

This gives me a good idea of what to look at when I go back to it this weekend.

3 months later
#5 3 years ago

I finally got a chance to spend some time on this planets table. When you start a game, it will usually run thru all the balls in a row. Like it says balls one, then before you do anything it cycles through to ball 5. Sometimes it will stay on ball one, sometimes it will cycle to ball four and stop. It seems pretty random. The only things I can find currently that are an issue, is the lock relay coil is burnt up and broken.. but oddly still works and the contacts on the bakelite for the ball count unit seem heavily worn, with a visible groove. However, I seem to have continuity everywhere on that. I'm going back in a couple days, when I get parts in for another of their pins.

#6 3 years ago

I have Zodiac, which is the same thing as Planets except that Planets (the add-a-ball) is even more rare! We like ours and play it a lot.
Switch #2 on the score motor, a switch on the Tilt Relay, and a switch on the Outhole Relay each could make it step from ball to ball if it's adjusted so it can't open.
ZodiacPlanetsBallUnitStepUp (resized).pngZodiacPlanetsBallUnitStepUp (resized).png
The second picture shows the Tilt Circuit - the plumb bob, the ball tilt (next to the plumb bob, the smaller rolling ball that keeps you from lifting up the front of the game) and a slam tilt switch could all be making it tilt and move to the next ball. Does the "Tilt" light on the backglass flash on and off as it cycles through the balls? Let us know what you find!
ZodiacPlanetsTiltCircuit (resized).pngZodiacPlanetsTiltCircuit (resized).png

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from DCP:

Does the "Tilt" light on the backglass flash on and off as it cycles through the balls? Let us know what you find!
[quoted image]

Thank you for that! I do not remember seeing the tilt light come on. But I will definitely check for it when I am back there this week.

4 weeks later
#8 3 years ago

So the problem turned out to be a nut had dropped between the game over relay and the Tilt relay and was down so low I couldn’t see it.

I would have never found it without your help so thank you very much.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-planets-keeps-cycling?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.