(Topic ID: 121167)

Williams "Planets"- has anyone seen one recently?

By jrpinball

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Syco54645
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I was talking to someone where I was working the other day, and I brought up "my nutty hobby".
The guy responded as many folks in their '50s-'60s do when you bring up pinball. He said he used to love playing pinball, and told me he was a "wizard" at a game called "Planets". I told him that I remember that game from back in the '70s, and that it was a New York state model which did not award replays. He insisted that he remembered winning free games on the one he used to play, but I told him that "Planets" didn't award replays, but a similar game called "Zodiac", did. Anyway, I turned him on to some websites where he could find information on pinballs, and as the day wore on, we continued our discussion on and off, and I could tell that he was beginning to succumb to the nostalgia bug.
I took his number, and told him that if I ever come across a "Planets" for sale, I'd give him a call.
I know it's a fairly low production game, and I don't recall seeing one in quite some time, but I'm wondering if any of you owns one of these, or has seen one recently. If any are around, I'd imagine it would more than likely turn up in NY, WI, or CT because it is an add a ball game. I'll check "Pinball Owners" to see if anyone there has one.

#2 9 years ago

Only 2 pinsiders have it. One in Huntington, NY, and the other pinsider apparently doesn't have his location listed.

#3 9 years ago

The guy in Huntington is also on "Pinball Owners".

1 month later
#4 8 years ago

I've got a NOS backglass for one that I bought just in case I ever came across one to restore; always thought the game was pretty cool looking and worth a look.

Don O

#5 8 years ago

Wow, cool! Rare game for sure. Hang onto that backglass.

#6 8 years ago

Buddy just bought a Zodiak, probably the only I've seen around.

I do have a playfield though, don't think (?) they are diff'rent as it seems both had planets listed on the PF and not Zodiak signs.

#7 8 years ago

"Zodiac" is rare enough, but "Planets" is super rare. There was some debate at one point if it was even actually produced! I know it was because I played it back in the day on location. Saw more than one in NY state.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

"Zodiac" is rare enough, but "Planets" is super rare. There was some debate at one point if it was even actually produced! I know it was because I played it back in the day on location. Saw more than one in NY state.

Yeah I just read in ipdb some say it was made for Italy but there is no proof.

#9 8 years ago

Good to know Joe... I've played Zodiac in the field but never, ever seen a PLANETS!

Don

2 weeks later
#10 8 years ago

Okay here it is with a 400 dollar opening bid. Go get em and good luck!

ebay.com link: WILLIAMS VERY RARE PLANETS 2 PLAYERWIDE BODY COIN OP PINBALL ARCADE MACHINE

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Okay here it is with a 400 dollar opening bid. Go get em and good luck!
ebay.com link » Williams Very Rare Planets 2 Playerwide Body Coin Op Pinball Arcade Machine

Tempting. Someone gets that one and restore it to perfection!
Anyone played Zodiac or Planets? Gameplay seems interesting.

#12 8 years ago

Just played Zodiac last weekend with my daughter (she schooled me). Pretty fun but think it would get old after awhile in a smaller collection.

#13 8 years ago

There's a guy in Rockland County, NY I know of who has non-working Zodiac. Haven't seen a Planets machine around in a long time. I do remember playing on location at a Russian club around Binghamton when I was a kid.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from jjpm:

Correction, it was Planets and he now has it listed on Ebay:
ebay.com link » Williams Very Rare Planets 2 Playerwide Body Coin Op Pinball Arcade Machine

Seems to be a good deal for op's friend if it doesn't go too high.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-planets-has-anyone-seen-one-recently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.