You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

101_0758.JPG
101_0757.JPG

#1 10 years ago

Hello,
I recently traded for a 1987 Space Station pinball machine that needed some work. The 3 bank drop target didn't work, the tilts were disconnected (well, sort of), and the left and right flippers weren't registering to do the letters. I have since fixed all those issues but when I put the playfield back into place, it keeps coming up with a pinball missing code. I looked at the switch matrix and it is showing me that column 2 is not working. These are the playfield tilt, the three trough switches, the outhole switch, and the three mini-playfield switches. I tracked the green and red wire that connects all of these and they all have continuity, even from the CPU All the switched tested good when I hooked up the VOM. The only weird thing was that the resistor (?) on the outhole switch didn't give me continuity.

I tried testing with the power on to everything and they all tested that they had at least some power to them.

Does anyone have any idea what I am missing? I know this is something really stupid at this point seeing as the machine worked yesterday.

Anyway, thanks in advance

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Neuweiler4:

The only weird thing was that the resistor (?) on the outhole switch didn't give me continuity.

That's a diode, and it should only have continuity in one direction. There's one on each switch.

Does all of column 2 show as being on, or off? Off, I assume? Almost certainly a bad connection somewhere, if you know the CPU board is okay. Could also be problem with the switch matrix on CPU board, but you say the machine was working before you fixed all that stuff. Is it possible that one of the wires or part of the tilt mech is shorted to something?

#3 10 years ago

The tilt switch was completely splayed apart, there were no connections with any of them. The previous owner disabled the tilts.

I had a feeling that was a diode (didn't look like any resistor I have seen), there is no continuity either way though. I checked all the other switches, they all have continuity between them. I am guessing my problem is somewhere between the outhole switch and the playfield tilt. If any of these two switches malfunction, will it cause all of the column to do so?

#4 10 years ago

If the switch was simply always open, or always closed, no that wouldn't screw up the whole column/row.

If the column wire was shorted to ground, that'd take out the whole column. Make sure you didn't accidentally do this when you connected the tilt back up. Also check that you have the wires connected to the right sides of the tilt mech (key because one side will have a diode)

Are you sure the connection between the column wire and the cpu board is OK? (i'm sure you've tested to the connector that goes into the cpu board, but have you tested between the connector and the pin it's supposed to be connected to? Those connectors can get really dodgy over time)

If the diode is open, that would only take out that one switch. If the diode was reversible, it would screw up the whole row_ when the switch was closed. If a diode was not present or hooked up incorrectly or a row wire was connected to the wrong side of the diode, that would screw up the whole row_ when the switch was closed. But, this shouldn't break the column, only the row.

#5 10 years ago

Ok, so I disconnected the playfield tilt and the outhole switches, these are the ones I touched knowilngly) and disconnected the playfield switches but still nothing. the trough switches are all that is left on the circuit.

I did check the continuity all the way to the CPU pin and it is all there.

What would it take to short out a board? I know i was playing with the playfield tilt and the someone along the line decided they really wanted to play with the wirirng in the machine, at least on part of the backbox.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Neuweiler4:

Ok, so I disconnected the playfield tilt and the outhole switches, these are the ones I touched knowilngly) and disconnected the playfield switches but still nothing. the trough switches are all that is left on the circuit.

I did check the continuity all the way to the CPU pin and it is all there.

What would it take to short out a board? I know i was playing with the playfield tilt and the someone along the line decided they really wanted to play with the wirirng in the machine, at least on part of the backbox.

Do you have any good pics of the boards you can put up?

#7 10 years ago

I'll try to get one tonight

#8 10 years ago

Here are the pics of the CPU

101_0757.JPG 101_0758.JPG

#9 10 years ago

Ok, excuse my ignorance here but is the wiring AC or DC? The reason I ask is because I am getting voltage from both sides off all the switches that don't work. I checked this back on the column side and it goes all the way to the CPU.

#10 10 years ago

Try to reconnect all tha connectors of the MPU board(because I don't now which connector is the bad one-that not make good connection).It takes only a minute.I have the same problem with my Pinbot.

#11 10 years ago

I keep trying that, I will try again.

#12 10 years ago

Send me a Pinmail with an email addy Neuweiler4 and I will send you the pinrepair guides for that system in MS Word format (also can use Wordpad).

Got your pinmail etc .. sent .. hope they help as those were superb guides when they were online.

#13 10 years ago

Thank you, I just searched and found a copy online (I was having trouble viewing all of it). It is at

http://hansbalk.home.xs4all.nl/rep/sys11/index3.htm#misc

I think I may have, hopefully, found the problem (finally). I checked the transistor for the column and it tested bad. The resistor was fine, but the transistor was bad.

#14 10 years ago

It was the transistor! I can, sort of, play now. I have to figure out how to adjust the space station ramp diverter so it will actually divert the ball properly and not just let it bounce off of it.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside