(Topic ID: 224917)

Williams Phoenix won’t boot.

By JT-Pinball

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hello all. I am looking at a Williams Phoenix. Guy wants a fair amount for the game and it won’t boot. He is telling me that it worked he moved it now it doesn’t work. You turn the game on and the displays light up. Player one scrolls thru some numbers with all other displays showing zeros. When it’s done it sits there and then starts the same sequence. Ideas on what is up with this?

#2 5 years ago

If it's showing stuff on the displays it's booting. Possibly the batteries are dead, or bad ram. Make sure you check for corrosion

#3 5 years ago

Yea. He couldn’t get into the head tonight. I am going to see inside tomorrow. Do the batteries have to be good for game just too boot or for game to maintain high scores?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Yea. He couldn’t get into the head tonight. I am going to see inside tomorrow. Do the batteries have to be good for game just too boot or for game to maintain high scores?

If the batteries are bad it'll go into 'audits' mode (which is what it's doing, minus the part where it's scrolling through numbers which I'm not sure about) and not let you into attract mode. Sometimes turning it off and on quickly can bypass that. You may need to have the coin door open.

#5 5 years ago

Last time I had one that booted into audit mode and scrolled numbers in the credit/match display it was a bad 5101 on the MPU.

I've seen other people post the same issue though and don't know what they did to fix it so might be worth your time to do some searching first.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks all! I didn’t get a chance to look at the game today. I have been looking into similar issues. All displays on this have zeros except p1. It has the scrolling number sequence. I’ll try to look at the game tomorrow and see if it has good batteries and or alkaline damage the cpu. Guess that will narrow it down. Guy wants 800 for the game. It’s complete and playfield looks nice. But cabinet needs some work. Game isn’t my thing, but if he comes down some and it’s not to bad to get running. Maybe I can get running and make a few bucks to get another project and save another game from being parted.

#7 5 years ago

Finally got a chance to look at the Phoenix. Does not appear to have any corrosion from alkaline. Did not have a battery tester or meter with me but we changed the batteries and it still boots with the same weird sequence of numbers on P1. All other displays show 0000000. I am leaning twoards some sort of bad chip on the MPU. Turning on it on and off did not seem to make a difference. There is a socket under the battery box that looks like someone took it off with a crow bar. But looks like that socket is unpopulated anyway...

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Finally got a chance to look at the Phoenix. Does not appear to have any corrosion from alkaline. Did not have a battery tester or meter with me but we changed the batteries and it still boots with the same weird sequence of numbers on P1. All other displays show 0000000. I am leaning twoards some sort of bad chip on the MPU. Turning on it on and off did not seem to make a difference. There is a socket under the battery box that looks like someone took it off with a crow bar. But looks like that socket is unpopulated anyway...

Did you have the coin door open?

#9 5 years ago

When we turned it on. Yes

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-phoenix-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.