3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hi guys some weird game play the last couple days with my Phoenix, starting into audits which I can advance out of and start a game, when I am playing the shooter plays again light comes on randomly when it shouldn't, the game sometimes doesn't end, I've got to ball 12 before ending the game, and it doesn't always keep track of how many Phoenix lights are lit up, otherwise everything seems to works as it should. I have done quite a bit of work to this game, redid all caps and diodes and resistors, new headers and repinned connectors on powersupply, mpu has had all scanbee sockets replaced, new roms,new 5101,all new headers and repinned connectors and new interboard connector, on driver board new interboard connector, repinned 8 of the connectors and replaced 3 headers and replaced some resitors. Not sure of what this kind of behavior is indicating, any help is appreciated. Thanks Gerald

#2 3 years ago

My first check would be the 5101 and backup battery. It sounds like the RAM is either bad or not getting power to retain memory.

#3 3 years ago

I recently experienced bad RAM in a laserball and it did some funky things. It still booted up ok but the bonus ladder started to increase on the wrong switch numbers. It was IC13 that was bad.

WMS does not do a full RAM check at boot up, but if you reliably make it to attract mode you can run a RAM check. Have the coin door open and push the diag button on the MPU.
    Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#4 3 years ago

Thanks guys will try the diagnostic and see what happens, the 5101 is new from Marco's, but I have a used 5101 from Pinball Medic I can try as well, did check battery voltage had a little over 4.7.Thanks Gerald

#5 3 years ago

I replaced the 5101 and the game seems to be back to normal, any ideas as to why the last one only lasted 3-4 months.
    Thanks Gerald

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorebash:

I replaced the 5101 and the game seems to be back to normal, any ideas as to why the last one only lasted 3-4 months.
    Thanks Gerald

Might have been a salvage pull that suffered ESD damage before you got it. Hard to say.

The 5101s are notorious for being unreliable/static sensitive. I have had the best luck with genuine PCD5101P part number. Consider a NVRAM module too since I imagine the chip is in a socket now. Then you don't need batteries.

#7 3 years ago

The 5101 was new from Marco's,not trying to knock them, just wondering if there was something else possibly affecting its lifespan, yes it does have a socket, is the nvram better other than not needing batteries, already have remote battery pack installed.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorebash:

The 5101 was new from Marco's,not trying to knock them, just wondering if there was something else possibly affecting its lifespan, yes it does have a socket, is the nvram better other than not needing batteries, already have remote battery pack installed.

Advantage of nvram is not worrying about batteries leaking or going dead. Remote battery solves most of the worries but it is still annoying when they leak in the remote holder. Also make sure to position the remote holder away from other stuff as they can drip or gas out. I have seen then put 6" away from a PCB and it still managed to drip and/or gas damage PCBs. I have also seen the remote battery holder put in a little case to give an extra barrier.

Might be an argument the FM16W08 device used on NVRAM modules is a more reliable/robust part than the old 5101 SRAMs.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-phoenix-weird-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.