• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Phoenix_MPU_Front_MarkedUp (resized).jpg
Phoenix_MPU_BackMarkedUp (resized).jpg

#1 70 days ago

I recently picked up a Williams Phoenix and knew that it had some battery damage on the MPU board. I have a little experience working on boards and would like to learn more about board repair through these projects.

I've removed the battery holder which was attached to the board with short lengths of wire. When the holder was removed, it was apparent that a few of the wires attached to the boards had corrosion. The one negative connector came off as it was the most corroded. I cleaned the board of the corrosion front and back using instructions on flippers.com.

Below are 2 pictures - front and back. I'm assuming that I should detach the wires (as shown below) by heating up the solder that are on the board. My question is that once I remove the wires, is it just a matter of re-soldering the wires to the connections on the board? Should I de-solder the wires and clean it again to make sure?

Phoenix

I appreciate the help.

Tom

Phoenix_MPU_BackMarkedUp (resized).jpgPhoenix_MPU_Front_MarkedUp (resized).jpg
#2 70 days ago

For an external battery pack you need black in upper right and red in lower left. You can get a 3 space pack from any supplier. The other connections are made in the battery pack itself

#3 70 days ago

I've already purchased the external battery pack and was in the process of installing it and found the battery damage was more than I originally thought. I was asking more about cleaning I did and about removing the wires and solder. I'm going to remove the solder from the upper right and lower left and attach the remote battery pack wires.

#4 70 days ago

I see, you said you had cleaned and neutralized the damage so I took you at your word. You should be fine

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!