(Topic ID: 300778)

Williams pharaoh violently blows varistor (mov)

By CraigC

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CraigC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I know this sounds like an ancient Egyptian meets robot affair, but I’ve had something happen that I’ve never seen before.

Yesterday I noticed that pharaoh was not turning on, so digging into this I saw that the line fuse has blown. Fine, no big deal replaced the line fuse with a 7a fuse just to see if it blew again (line fuse is 8a on system 7). I turned the game on and saw a puff of smoke and it seemed the varistor had blown. I think it was blown the first time but was stapled under a piece of cardboard so not easy to see. easy enough I have seen this before, I pulled the whole transformer board out of the game to isolate any impact and replaced the varistor, just to have it violently blow again when plugged in.

I continuity checked the line filter, no shorts. Power cable looks fine, has ground plug, though it is older. What am I missing? No recent work has been done on the game, the outlet tests fine.
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Are you sure your replacement varistor is of correct voltage?

#3 2 years ago

V100ZA15 is a 100v varistor. Save that one for Bally Rectifier Boards.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Are you sure your replacement varistor is of correct voltage?

^^^ This.
    Looks like you installed a V100ZA15 which is used on Bally games for the 43V solenoid voltage.
    You need a V130LA20 varistor for the line voltage:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=76

#5 2 years ago

Tuukka is on the right track maybe - what are you using for a MOV? They are rated at almost every voltage from 10V to 500V and beyond. You need the correct one for your supply - if you are on 110V mains you should use about a 130~140V MOV.

In any case you can simply clip it off for the purposes of testing your machine.

Make sure to replace it for long term protection of your machine against power surges and lightning strikes.

#6 2 years ago

Yes it is from a Bally rectifier board! I did find a post saying that a fathom was the same as another system 7, so I made an assumption that they were all the same. Thanks for the help

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pharaoh-violently-blows-varistor-mov and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.