Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by debaser
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I've got a Williams Pharaoh that I recently shopped out, rebuilt the power supply, fixed some minor battery corrosion and replaced the 40 pin connectors on the MPU and driver boards. Everything is working great except I'm having issues with 2 columns of lamps (columns 3 and 4). They blink on and off correctly in test mode but during attract mode they are strobing. It's really noticeable with the PHARAOH letters on the upper playfield. The lights don't blink on and off correctly to spell PHARAOH in attract mode and they are all strobing. I'm using all incandescent bulbs. I've checked the diodes on all the insert lamps and they all look good.

I thought it might be an issue on the driver board so I grabbed the driver board out of my Blackout and it does the same thing so the driver board should be good.

Any ideas on what would cause this?

#2 8 years ago

Hi Debaser,

Your description sounds like a lamp column driver failure. I see that your described failure when something between the tip42 to the pia is bad (columns randomly strobe from dim to really right). Since you have swapped in a known good driver board check all the lamps under the PF. They have isolation diodes on them. Make sure none are broken or shorting.

#3 8 years ago

I checked all the diodes and wires on the affected lamps and they are fine. Any other ideas?

#4 8 years ago

I just figured out the problem and it looks like it's been like this since it shipped from the factory! The problem was the 7 position lamp board for PHARAOH on the upper playfield had all 7 lamp sockets soldered together with the bare wire. This was causing the Yellow-Orange and the Yellow-Black wires to be connected as there is one of each soldered on the two ends of the lamp board. I clipped the bare wire between the R and the A lamp sockets and now it's working perfectly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pharaoh-system-7-insert-lamp-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.