Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Hi all,

This is may very first post, regarding my very first pinball machine!! I've acquired a Williams Pharaoh in reasonable condition but needing fixing. I get light and flipper activity but little else.

I figured I need to start somewhere so current tested all the fuses. The one in the third pic is/was missing, and on replacing it blew straight away. Can someone tell me what it is for please?

Secondly in the diagnostic mode I get a visible 8 in the digital display in the middle of the pcb. Can someone tell me what fault code 8 refers to? I've read the attached sticker note but it means nothing to me!

Lastly, any general hints on a sensible trouble-shoot programme for this model I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Missing fuse appears to be the solenoid fuse. That would probably explain the lack of any action
Start by getting the instructions and manual from IPDB:
http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1778
Then try Pinwiki:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#System_7

Sounds like either a shorted coil or a wire shorted somewhere is blowing the fuse.

Good luck!

#3 8 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! Good luck on tracing down the short that is likely taking out that fuse. Make sure to only use the properly rated fuse and to not try higher ampere fuses. RCA1 set you up with the links to download the manuals which will be needed if you haven't already done so.
If you can locate a pinsider in your area or know anybody that has been into this hobby for awhile, it can be very helpful to just have someone help you out a little bit at first. I was lucky to have a helpful pinsider work with me on some of my early Gorgar problems. That help went a long way into getting me started on doing my own diagnostics and repair. Best of luck to you and please update with your findings.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from londonlad:

Can someone tell me what it is for please?

This is for all the coils in the game, one or more could be bad causing the fuse to burn. Check each coil plunger for smooth easy movement, brown or burn coil wrappers. If you find a bad coil, cut one of the wires off and insulate the wire then try a new fuse and see if it blows again.

Quoted from londonlad:Can someone tell me what fault code 8 refers to?

Since you have no battery connected to the board it's losing it's memory stored in the ram when the power is shut off. When you turn it on it can't find the stored info so it gives you this fault.

Quoted from londonlad:Lastly, any general hints on a sensible trouble-shoot programme for this model

Vid1900 has has a bullet proofing guide on pinsides that is very informative.

#5 8 years ago

I have a pharaoh that had some minor problems. One thing I did was to change the fuse holders under the play field to new ones. They are near the flippers.

Also, remember that you have to have both balls in the through when you boot up the game. That caused me a lot of head scratching.

Congrats on a great game!

Axl

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Missing fuse appears to be the solenoid fuse. That would probably explain the lack of any action
Start by getting the instructions and manual from IPDB:
http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1778
Then try Pinwiki:
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#System_7
Sounds like either a shorted coil or a wire shorted somewhere is blowing the fuse.
Good luck!

Thanks very much for your help. I'll report back when progress is getting made.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from dozer1:

Welcome to Pinside! Good luck on tracing down the short that is likely taking out that fuse. Make sure to only use the properly rated fuse and to not try higher ampere fuses. RCA1 set you up with the links to download the manuals which will be needed if you haven't already done so.
If you can locate a pinsider in your area or know anybody that has been into this hobby for awhile, it can be very helpful to just have someone help you out a little bit at first. I was lucky to have a helpful pinsider work with me on some of my early Gorgar problems. That help went a long way into getting me started on doing my own diagnostics and repair. Best of luck to you and please update with your findings.

Hi, thanks for the good advice. Cheers

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is for all the coils in the game, one or more could be bad causing the fuse to burn. Check each coil plunger for smooth easy movement, brown or burn coil wrappers. If you find a bad coil, cut one of the wires off and insulate the wire then try a new fuse and see if it blows again.

Since you have no battery connected to the board it's losing it's memory stored in the ram when the power is shut off. When you turn it on it can't find the stored info so it gives you this fault.

Vid1900 has has a bullet proofing guide on pinsides that is very informative.

Great advice. Will get to work. Thanks

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I have a pharaoh that had some minor problems. One thing I did was to change the fuse holders under the play field to new ones. They are near the flippers.
Also, remember that you have to have both balls in the through when you boot up the game. That caused me a lot of head scratching.
Axl

Quoted from Axl:

Axl

Quoted from Axl:

Axl

Hi Axl, many thanks for the reply. Sorry for my ignorance, please explain the "both balls in the through when you boot up the game" comment. Thanks again for the help.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from londonlad:

Sorry for my ignorance, please explain the "both balls in the through when you boot up the game" comment.

Good question if you did not follow his answer! Better to ask than not know.
The ball trough is the area at the bottom of the playfield where the balls go when they are not being used. There are two switches there that tell the game that the balls are present. If the game does not "see" both balls by the switches being closed, it will not start a game.

#12 8 years ago

Here you can see the thread with my problems, and the fix for it.
Hope that helps!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-pharaoh-wont-start-a-game

Axl

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 52.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
South Kingstown, RI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pharaoh-first-timer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.