Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 131 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    image-16 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0129 (resized).JPG
    harry_williams_8904 (resized).jpg
    Snapchat-1495707690_1509043267451 (resized).jpg
    20171014_135253 (resized).jpg
    Kordek-StarWorldsgroup (resized).jpg
    4EA5B99C-6162-4832-A40B-B158EF1A8CAC (resized).jpeg
    79F201FB-669E-4B97-AE4E-31FEC9D86F6C (resized).jpeg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    Kordek-MarkSteveAwards2 (resized).jpg
    stern_williams (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    DBE0BD3D-2851-4B9A-9CCA-502A2EB628AA (resized).jpeg
    scastillo (resized).jpg
    IMG_0904 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I thought it would be cool to make a list of all the people that made Williams so great. I then figured out it was a big list and would be a good idea to get some help so it would be more complete. Feel free to include any employees including that Christmas dude. I'll start it with the early days.

George Molentin
    Sam Stern
    Harry Mabs
    Roy Parker

And the man that did the hiring,

Harry Williams

#4 6 years ago

Then along came the mystery artist who graced many early 60s game with his style.

And Jerry Kelley and Christian Marche that brought us the pointy people among others.

#6 6 years ago

Him too

#8 6 years ago

There are quite a few missing. I thought this thread would be on fire when I woke up. People need to get their Starbucks on!

Gary Stern worked for Williams. Heck, his dad owned the company for a while. Who can name the current Stern employees that at one time worked for Williams?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

The obvious one - Steve Ritchie comes to mind.

I was playing a bunch of Getaway when I brainstormed this thread.

#12 6 years ago

Lyman F. Sheats and Dwight Sullivan both worked for Williams.

#14 6 years ago

lchristmas (resized).jpglchristmas (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

Some of the unsung heroes from the 70s-

Chris Otis
    Gordon Horlick
    Lloyd Rognan
    Randy Pfeiffer
    Ron Crouse
    Constantino Mitchell
    Jeanine Mitchell
    Tony Kraemer
    Paul Dussault
    John Jung
    Louis Raynaud

#20 6 years ago

Of course! And I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Barry Oursler yet.

#22 6 years ago

Here's a good one.

The Sterns worked for Williams and Harry Williams worked for Stern.

#25 6 years ago

The 80s were a busy time at Williams and since I'm not so busy at work, I'm combing IPDB and finding lots of familiar names and some not so familiar.

Edward Tomaszewski
    Tony Ramunni
    Tim Elliott
    Jack Mittel
    Kristina Donofrio
    Peter Perry
    Pat McMahon
    Tony Pugh
    Robin Seaver
    Dan Forden
    Rehman Merchant
    Joe Joos Jr.
    Dan Forden
    Ed Suchocki
    Mark Sprenger
    John Krutsch
    Ed Boon
    Steve Epstein
    Doug Watson
    Chris Granner
    Ed Suchocki
    Bill Pfutzenreuter
    Brian Dolatowski
    John Kotlarik
    Claude Fernandez
    Larry Day

#27 6 years ago

Nice! Which one's Christmas? ^^^^

#29 6 years ago

Kind of a shame when a company forgets part of it's own history.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4817

blueribbon (resized).pngblueribbon (resized).png

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Steve Kordek

The man that is probably most responsible for Williams thriving for most of the latter half of the 20th century and going out of pinball on top.

kordek01 (resized).jpgkordek01 (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Makes me wish I would have talked to him when I had the chance.

He could have answered a lot of questions I'm sure. Like who was the mystery artist of the 60s? But now, we may never know.

#34 6 years ago

Ah yes, the forgotten art of pinball quality control!

scastillo (resized).jpgscastillo (resized).jpg

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

I'm surprised to see Bally employees or contractors (Paul Faris and 1960s mystery artist) being nominated.

Well, the mystery artist did quite a few games for Williams in the 60s before the merger and they were great. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Paul Faris worked on Grand Lizard before the companies joined too. I figure it's OK to include them even if they worked for other companies at the same time. Case in point- Roy Parker.

I couldn't find a pic of these two gentlemen when they worked together at Williams, but this one will do.

stern_williams (resized).jpgstern_williams (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago

Who's that guy with his hands in his pockets?

Kordek-MarkSteveAwards2 (resized).jpgKordek-MarkSteveAwards2 (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

Surprised it took this long. He was only responsible for designing some of the most popular games of the 90s.

#46 6 years ago

Quite a history this company had.

From one innovative man that brought us features like the tilt in the early part of the 20th century, to hiring all the great talent they could find, and trying to modernize and making great games all along the way, and then making pinball fully relevant and fun in the 90s once again.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Was'nt there a famous inspector ? #20 or something.

Inspector 12

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#49 6 years ago

Highly unlikely as they have found a niche in the lucrative gambling game industry, which is kind of ironic as their early pinball machines were known as gambling games as well.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Who are the rest of the family in background?

You're gonna have to help me out on this one. Although the lady looks familiar, I live in Ca.

#57 6 years ago

That's some fancy building they have there, not to mention the car.

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The car is BallyKid's.

I guess it was only inevitable he would find his way to Williams.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Why does Neil hate Pinball?

I'm guessing he was just no good at it and got his ass kicked by a girl.

#63 6 years ago

I'm taking nothing away from any of the other great pinball companies. There are a handful that each at certain times was tops in the industry.

From Rock-ola with it's amazing early games, to Gottlieb, the gold standard in the early EM days that continued to make a well built product till the very end, Bally, with huge sales in the thirties, becoming the king of bingo games, then going full steam ahead in the 70s to pretty much rule the early SS era, to Stern from the late 70s on to become for a while the only survivor. And a lot of credit for what companies like JJP and Spooky are doing now.

But you gotta hand it to Williams pinball from where they started out to where they finished and all the many people that were involved.

#65 6 years ago

I blame Pinball2K. RFM made money on location, but it must have been a pricy venture to create. Most players I knew thought it was a novelty at best and were waiting for their next real pinball machines to come out.

As the song said "video killed the pinball star"

#67 6 years ago

Like I said, when I played it I said "neat, now when do we get another real pinball machine". Then came South Park, but that's a whole nuther story...

#69 6 years ago

Here's a picture of Harry Williams from the old days.

harry_williams_8904 (resized).jpgharry_williams_8904 (resized).jpg

#72 6 years ago

Nobody gave a shit about SWE1.

And as far that anti pinball dude, let him hang from the tree of wo, and may god have mercy on his soul.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

It worked fine, and they were still selling this machine when they shut it down.

If they had spent a little more time finishing code on games like Cactus Canyon instead of trying to turn pinball into a video game, I think the world would be a better place now.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfre81:

Unfortunately the environment of the world in 1998 did not support this.

Well I had a pocket full of quarters that said differently. And the local arcades I visited were thriving with pinball business. But we were either stuck playing stupid video pinball and incomplete CC, or the 100s of other machines we had already played over and over. Just as well, I moved back to the beach and went surfing and let the rest of the world figure it out.

#82 6 years ago

I found this nice vintage photo and article of Sam Stern several years before he actually took ownership of Williams.

image-16 (resized).jpgimage-16 (resized).jpg

#85 6 years ago

On thing I have noticed was the lack of Steve Ritchie games near the end. His last one was No Fear in 1995 I believe.

#87 6 years ago
    Quoted from jfre81:

He left and went back to Atari for a bit.

OK that makes sense.

Wonder if things would have been a little different if he had stuck around and j-pop had gone back to whatever it was he had been doing.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Very good point - but NO he could not. I know for sure because I told someone I know to ask him personally at an EXPO.
    Because that mystery artist designed my darling I'm very eager to hear that name.

Well that sort of gives me a sigh of relief as I was sure if anybody knew it would be him. And was frustrated that now it would be too late to ask.

I have a few mystery artist games including Big Daddy which is gorgeous top to bottom. I can't think of anybody else that's still around that might know. It's pretty amazing with all the people in the industry over the years that this has somehow remained a secret and there is no documentation available. Maybe he just wanted to remain anonymous.

Oh well, it doesn't really bother me that much beyond knowing the facts, but I'll just appreciate them for what they are, wonderful works of art.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

I think the same, dear O-Din.
    But still sometimes I think, these may ne the last days right now when someone from these Ad-Posters-days still is alive. I even would set a reward for someone who could find out the name of 'the mystery artist'

Well, if not Steve Kordek, who the mystery artist's work appeared on several machines, then who else? Maybe someone from Bally back in the day?

I have to be honest as I think there may be more than one mystery artist, because the styles on some of the unnamed games vary so much.

#100 6 years ago

I had heard that possibly Louis Raynaud might have been at least one of the mystery artists but between pinside's list of games and IPDB's I can't tell which games he really did do or if Cristian Marche did them.

Even some of the info that is documented is not always correct.

#102 6 years ago

Mystery artist goes way back alright. There are plenty of games that George Molentin was not given credit for and don't look like his work at all when he was the main guy at Williams. I'm looking at my 1960 "21" right now and have no idea who did it.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

The "Mystery Artist" I'm referring to is the one who did Bally Blue Ribbon.

The mystery artist or artists I was referring to were the ones that did many Williams games. I didn't mention anything about Bally in that post. Although it does seem like at least one mystery artist did games for both.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-people?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.