(Topic ID: 36266)

Williams & Pat Lawlor - Addams Family - Just Awesome! Can't beat it!

By barakawins

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Zdoor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

You know. Stern is churning up pinball machines faster than you can save up for them... But, I have to tell you. Williams - Just can't be beat!! I played my Addams Family which has been quite dormant for a while. I have to tell you that know I understand why Williams was top notch in it's game. Addams family is so intense with the sound, lighting and overall game play that there really is no comparison to newer Stern games. The feel of the flippers, the smooth action of the ball flow in all the shots is just absolutely flawless. In my honest opinion, I think this game should be part of the top 5 machines of all time. The programming of this machine and design is far surpasses most games every produced and I don't think Stern has ever come out with a machine even remotely close to the Addams Family. Kudos to Pat Lawlor for making such an advanced game which surpasses anything Stern has ever built. I do own Stern Spiderman and Tron LE which are my fav's but when you really go back in time, Addams family really takes the ball! Just had to put this out there. Give TAF a good game and you'll see what I mean. Just had to put it out there.

#2 11 years ago

IJ is better...

#3 11 years ago

Well, Williams used to churn them out faster than Stern does now. 7 titles per year in 91-94.
SM and Tron are your favorites but you like TAF better? Just throwing that out there.
I understand why TAF was so popular when it first came out as there wasn't anything else with that many toys. I used to own a fairly nice one which was dialed in to perfection, but I personally found it a bore to play.

#4 11 years ago

I love TAF!

#5 11 years ago

It's the next one up on my wish list and I can not wait to finally purchase one. Its such a classic. I wont comment about the whole Stern vs Williams/Bally topic as I am just glad that there is a company still making new machines, but I agree with the stability and solid build of the 90's machines.

#6 11 years ago

With barakawins in your name I thought you would be gushing over a Ritchie pin. But, I have to agree with TAF being one and still all time greats. It's the total package, it really is.

I'm not big on B/W versus Sterns - each have their duds and stunners. Like them both. Just wish the quality feel was more prevalent in Sterns.

I own SM & Tron LE and love them and TAF. I can see what baraka is saying as much as I love those other titles. TAF stands the test for me. And those wonderful toys...

#7 11 years ago

I loved TAF when I was a kid. I put enough money into that machine that once I started in the hobby, TAF was top of my list. I bought one that was in rough shape, did a full restore including new playfield swap. Fast forward four years, I found TAF boring and more of a show piece than one I would play.

TAF has a place in my heart and it was hard selling but, newer Sterns made it boring.

#8 11 years ago

Don't get me wrong. I love Tron LE and Spiderman. But Addams family.. Well, there's a classic with advanced bells and whistles beyond these two titles. I know some of you sold your TAF's. But, play it in a quiet room and play it again. I think you'll re-kindle that love for TAF and want one back. I have to be honest, playing this machine again after it just sitting there, made be realize the love for Williams, the game and how much love and passion went into it. It's really a top notch top 5 in my opinion.

#9 11 years ago

For years I played TAF at shows and semi-broken ones on route and I always thought "I don't get it... what does everyone see in this game....?"

Last year I got one for a really good price and after an hour or two it clicked - "Ahhhh, this is why the game is praised!!!"

It's still regularly played in my collection. It truly is a masterpiece....

#10 11 years ago

I threw down a few games this morning of TAF, and I came away saying that I truly don't ever want to give this game up. The quality and flow are so natural and smooth and Lawlor and Team put it together with technology that is dated 20 years ago...TAF just rocks.

#11 11 years ago

always enjoy playing it, color dmd makes it look alot nicer. would be tough to part with mine

#12 11 years ago

will the stern bashing ever end?

#13 11 years ago

The difference between a NICE TAF to play and a Turd TAF is so different it can't be described. I feel so lucky to have this nice one here to play and keep nice. It plays fast, fun and flawless. Every pinhead should be able to play a nice TAF at some point.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

The difference between a NICE TAF to play and a Turd TAF is so different it can't be described. I feel so lucky to have this nice one here to play and keep nice. It plays fast, fun and flawless. Every pinhead should be able to play a nice TAF at some point.

Agreed, I've played a lot of turds. I'm torn still on whether I want to own one mainly because I haven't played a good one yet.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

will the stern bashing ever end?

it's not Stern bashing. It's Lawlor and TAF praising, learn to tell the difference

Quoted from barakawins:

In my honest opinion, I think this game should be part of the top 5 machines of all time.

I haven't played every game ever built, but I would have to put TAF in my top 2/3.
It's just an amazing pinball machine and even sometimes looking at our Tron LE, I wish it was an HEP Addams.

#16 11 years ago

I'm glad TAF gets the recognition it deserves. It truly is a great pin with great flow. I think they are getting harder and harder to come by in nice shape. I know mine is a keeper.

#17 11 years ago

Mine is staying. I love the different modes. I love love love the magnet use. The other night it took my ball that was heading for the flipper and threw it into festers scoop. Then another time it took it from festers scoop area into the swamp. The magnet is a true show it's own. Along with the flashers that area comes to life so much and people just freak out. Honestly. Right now. If I could only keep one of my pins it would be my TAF I bet. Just fun fun fun.

#18 11 years ago

I like the Addams Family but honestly its feels dated compared to some of the new Stern games.

#19 11 years ago

Agreed. Just the whole vibe while playing is something truly unique. I used to play a lot of TAF growing up, not as much as FH, but non the less. TAF was always such a fun game and always will be. Sadly, the local Addams Family that I played as a kid is really really beat to hell, and not so much fun to play anymore

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Mine is staying. I love the different modes. I love love love the magnet use. The other night it took my ball that was heading for the flipper and threw it into festers scoop. Then another time it took it from festers scoop area into the swamp. The magnet is a true show it's own. Along with the flashers that area comes to life so much and people just freak out. Honestly. Right now. If I could only keep one of my pins it would be my TAF I bet. Just fun fun fun.

Last time I played a TAF it was a beater in a bowling alley and it was a dud. But, Ill have to try it again. Our taste seems fairly similar...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 180.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pat-lawlor-addams-family-just-awesome-cant-beat-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.