Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I recently got my first EM pinball machine and it is a different world from what I am used too! The machine is a 1975 Williams Pat Hand. I have been tinkering and it goes through most of the start up sequence but after the bonus unit resets to zero the bonus unit just keeps cycling as does the bonus relay and the score motor keeps running. If I take the ball out of the trough, everything stops but with ball in the trough, the outhole relay never comes on and the ball release coil never fires, nor can I get it to start a game. I do have the manual and schematic but it is not like reading a wiring diagram and I am confused as to where to go next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

There is a switch on the bonus unit that tells the reset cycle that the bonus unit is at zero. It's called a zero position switch. Depending on the game it may even be two sets of contacts, one that opens and one that closes when the bonus unit is at zero.

Run the bonus unit up and down by hand (working the coil plungers). You should see a pin rotate around and change a set of contacts when the bonus unit gets to the reset (zero) position. Make sure that those contacts are clean and adjusted properly. The open one should be open and the closed one should be closed. When you advance the bonus unit one position the open switch should close and the closed switch should open.

There are several other things that won't allow a game to start and that includes the score reels. There are zero position switches on each reel. If one of them isn't clean or adjusted properly the score motor will keep running.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I did check the zero position switches on the bonus unit, there are 2 of them. One opens when the bonus unit goes down to zero and seems to work fine and the other opens when the second coil on the bonus unit fires(I guess the one that steps the unit up one from zero) and that switch seems to open fine as well Both switches look to be normally closed and do have continuity when closed. There are only 2 wires to each switch so neither looks to have a normally open position. I will check out the score reel switches when I am home later and can post a pic or video of the bonus unit cycling. Thanks again.

#4 8 years ago

Here are a few pics of the bonus unit. The top coil fires, opens the zero position switch with the little arm in the center, then the coil on the right side fires and steps it up one. As soon as that happens, the top coil fires again and the cycle repeats as the score motor runs. This appears to be the last step in the typical Williams start up sequence but it never fires the ball release or starts a game. And the outhole relay never moves. It looks like someone had resoldered a whole bunch of the wires on the score motor so I did double check to make sure the right color wires are at the right position and that all switches operate and conduct when closed. Once again, I am no t that great with figuring out where to go in the schematics. if a zero position switch on the score reels was not working, wouldn't the reel keep running?IMG_4136.JPGIMG_4136.JPGIMG_4140.JPGIMG_4140.JPG

2 weeks later
#5 8 years ago

Clean de wiper unit, had the same problem.
"0"is also indicated on the wiper unit, so when it's dirty it won't "see" the zero and keeping stepping down and up.
This is quite a common problem on Pat Hand, repaired several with the same bonus issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pat-hand-not-starting-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.