• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pat Hand Bonus count (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey Everyone,

My Pat Hand has had a consistent issue when stepping down the bonus at the end of the ball. It still counts the correct amount of bonus so I've kinda been lazy about fixing it but now I'm digging into it again.

On single bonus the stepper is supposed to count down in steps of 5 (IE full 10k bonus would complete in 2 cycles of the control motor) but instead only counts down once per control motor cycle. This is the double bonus behavior but it correctly counts single bonus.

It does this inconsistently though - it will count 3 or 4 in a cycle, then 1 the next cycle, then get all 5, etc - I tried correlating these to contacts on the stepper motor but it's random

Double bonus works perfect.

I've tried cleaning the double bonus relay and checking all those contact/solder joints - as well as completely rebuilding the bonus stepper.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Kate

#2 1 year ago

I'd check the Score Motor switch at the bottom of the Impulse Cam switch stack:
Pat Hand Bonus count (resized).jpgPat Hand Bonus count (resized).jpg
It could be dirty, not closing reliably, have a loose contact or bad solder joint, etc.

/Mark

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I'd check the Score Motor switch at the bottom of the Impulse Cam switch stack
/Mark

Went ahead and double checked that one and that stack in particular, no such luck - gave it a good cleaning and verified it's adjusted properly, solder looks good but I haven't used a test light or anything.

Here's a video of the behavior

#4 1 year ago

Might be my imagination but it does seem to be a bit better near the end. Does the bonus unit step down smoothly by hand at every step?

Try to film the bonus unit using slo-mo on your camera when it is stepping down, is anything happening (struggle to step down) or nothing at all during the 5 impulses?

You can also try turning the lights off, any arcing on the score motor switches or double bonus relay?

#5 1 year ago

Feels like the Double Bonus relay Make/Break switch to me, from the schematic above. What happens if you jumper around that switch from blue-red (BLU-R-6) to red-black (R-B-4)?

#6 1 year ago

It ended up being the end of cycle (?) switch on the bonus unit - it's supposed to remain closed while there is bonus left but the vibrations were knocking it loose as it wasn't adjusted tight enough.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-pat-hand-bonus-unit-steps-down-inconsistently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.