Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• OXO Williams, 1973

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

OXO player lights (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

williams oxo doesnt illuminate players selected. shows 1 player but nothing else. all bulbs are good for 1-4 player. randomly 1-3 started to light up, but player 4 is still not working. meaning when you hit the button to initiate 4 players, it cycles through 1, 2, & 3 players correctly but won't light up 4 players. it will play 4 players out though.
my goal is to try and light up "4 player" on the head for number of players present.
section a5 on the schematic shows brown wire feeding into the coin unit from a 15A fuse and going through each player as a designated wire and then into a yellow wire, i though yellow was the power wire, so what's going on with brown wire coming from a 15A fuse?
i've tried taking a jumper from brown to the 4th player connection (orange-red stripe) with no luck. with the machine on 4 player i have 25V AC at brown wire, and 43V AC at the orange/red stripe wire on the coin unit.

what am i missing to light up the 4th player bulb on the head?!!!!

#2 3 years ago

I'm not sure which lights you're after.
OXO player lights (resized).jpgOXO player lights (resized).jpg
The four lights at the bottom show the number of players who have paid and are playing and shouldn't change during the game. The four lights above those are the player up lights which should change when the ball drains for multiplayer games. The yellow and brown wires are the power rails that supply 6 volts AC to the light circuits. The fuse on the brown wire is for the backbox lights. The other fuse to its left is for the playfield lights.

If the 1-3 Can Play lights are working but the 4 Can Play light doesn't I'd check the contacts on the Coin Unit wiper board. It's possible that it's dirty and not making good contact with the wiper finger since it was likely used the least of the four contacts. In fact if the other 1-3 Can Play lights are intermittent a dirty contact board seems even more likely.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I'm not sure which lights you're after.
[quoted image]
The four lights at the bottom show the number of players who have paid and are playing and shouldn't change during the game. The four lights above those are the player up lights which should change when the ball drains for multiplayer games. The yellow and brown wires are the power rails that supply 6 volts AC to the light circuits. The fuse on the brown wire is for the backbox lights. The other fuse to its left is for the playfield lights.
If the 1-3 Can Play lights are working but the 4 Can Play light doesn't I'd check the contacts on the Coin Unit wiper board. It's possible that it's dirty and not making good contact with the wiper finger since it was likely used the least of the four contacts. In fact if the other 1-3 Can Play lights are intermittent a dirty contact board seems even more likely.
/Mark

thanks for the help! you're spot on with my problem and lights im after, the "number of player" lights. it all started with just number 1 working and none else, then after some tampering, player 2 and 3 started to work ok, so we're just down to player 4. i've made sure all the contacts on the wipers/spider are contacting the strips on the board, and even wiggled them a big to see if that helped. next step will be to clean the board/fingers with a wet cloth i suppose.

looking at the schematic, shouldn't i be able to take a jumper wire from the brown wire, to any of the given "x can play" lights, and illuminate that light; i've tried that and it didn't work. then i searched some more and in the instruction manual, p. 13, it shows the coin unit and the upper most arm (one that makes contact with corresponding number of players contacts, shows it to be grounded to frame; well if that's the case shouldn't i be able to take a jumper to any of those contacts, and to ground, to illuminate that given player light? i'm either putting ground to one of those contacts to light it up, or the brown power wire to one of those contacts to light it up, which is it?

#4 3 years ago

Don't take the word "ground" literally. This is floating AC so there really isn't a ground. The yellow and green-yellow-white wires are the 6 volt AC supply wires from the transformer. The brown wire just connects the Coin Unit to a switch on the Lock relay. The Coin Unit frame is apparently tied to the brown wire.

Assuming the Lock relay switch is closed you should be able to jumper from the brown wire to all four of the "can play" lights and have them light up. But maybe a simpler test is to jump from the working "1 can play" light to the other three to make sure they're working.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Don't take the word "ground" literally. This is floating AC so there really isn't a ground. The yellow and green-yellow-white wires are the 6 volt AC supply wires from the transformer. The brown wire just connects the Coin Unit to a switch on the Lock relay. The Coin Unit frame is apparently tied to the brown wire.
Assuming the Lock relay switch is closed you should be able to jumper from the brown wire to all four of the "can play" lights and have them light up. But maybe a simpler test is to jump from the working "1 can play" light to the other three to make sure they're working.

got it. think this thing just has dirty jones plugs maybe. traced the voltage (which increased when the wiper was on "4 can play") to the jones plug. going to the jones plug was 43V and coming out was like 36V, so i just took a jumper wire across the jones plug and it started working. musta wiggled something in that one pin of the plug and now it's all set. game over light had the same issue; cleaned that one particular pin on the plug a bit and it's good now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-oxo-coin-unit-player-count?hl=vipertblck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.