Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 days ago by MarkG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

relay pic (resized).jpg

#1 45 days ago

The 10 point relay is sticking when activated. Is it a bad relay or something else causing it not to release? There are 5 switches activated by that relay, and all the individual functions seem to work, it just sticks when activated by a bumper or switch.

Thanks

John

relay pic (resized).jpg
#2 45 days ago

Once it has been fired a Point relay will hold until its Score Reel has advanced to the next digit. Each Score Reel has a normally closed End of Stroke (EOS) switch that should open once the plunger has pulled all the way into the Score Reel solenoid. When the EOS switch opens, it cuts power to the Point relay which can then relax. It's a feedback mechanism so the Point relay and Score Reel need to work together.

In your case one of the 10 point Score Reel EOS switches probably isn't opening, or is shorted some how. Do you have the same problem with both players? If not start by checking the Score Reel of the player that shows the problem.

/Mark

#3 45 days ago

Thanks Mark, that's makes sense. This is a machine I inherited, and the 10 point reel wasn't working. I found a disconnected wire on the reel solenoid (on the Player 1 side)...it looked broken, but it may have been purposely disconnected at some point. I soldered it back on and that is when I discovered the sticking relay...so maybe it was disconnected on purpose to bypass a bad component. I only notice it on Player 1. I will investigate the score reel further. Thanks

#4 45 days ago

So...after cleaning the contacts on the switches of the 10 point relay, and adjusting them for consistent contact...it is working much better and doesn't "stick". However, I noticed that when the 10 point reel rolls over it's not incrementing the 100 point reel (the 100 does increment the 1000 and the 1000 increments the 10000 just fine)...I am sure this was working previously, so maybe just some more adjustments?

#5 44 days ago

Each Score Reel has several switches mounted to it in addition to the aforementioned EOS switch. One of those switches only closes when the Score Reel shows a 9. That switch when closed will allow the next pulse sent to advance that Score Reel to be shared with the next higher Score Reel allowing them both to advance on the same pulse.

Sounds like the 9 position switch on your 10 point Score Reel needs attention. Compare the 10 point Score Reel with one of the working Score Reels if it's not obvious which is the 9 position switch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Orlando, FL
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 14.95
$ 53.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 30.40
$ 999.00
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 219.99
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside