(Topic ID: 258794)

Williams old graphite ring bumper system

By DCRand

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5022-CarbonContactRing (resized).jpeg
    Donut composite (resized).jpg (© Copyright © 2020 Mark Gibson All)
    2019-08-23 18.45.05 (resized).jpg
    2019-08-25 15.31.38 (resized).jpg
    2019-08-25 15.56.32 (resized).jpg
    2019-08-25 15.56.29 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Refurbed and sold a 1952 Twenty Grand. The bumpers have a graphite ring / spike system for scoring. Rather than the typical spike in spoon system of modern games. The buyer is having a small problem with the spike / ring getting out of alignment on a couple bumpers. Is this typical and just essentially a result of a bad design, which was abandoned for pretty much this reason. Is there something that can be done to keep these in alignment better? Or is it better just to replace them all with the modern style? There are 8 of these on the game. Two pop, and six dead bumpers.

2019-08-23 18.45.05 (resized).jpg2019-08-23 18.45.05 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 15.31.38 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 15.31.38 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 15.56.29 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 15.56.29 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 15.56.32 (resized).jpg2019-08-25 15.56.32 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Those are tough to align and often the graphite ring or the pin has seen better days. Replacements are down to used parts that may not be much better.

Although I managed to keep the ones I had working, it is down to upgrading to the newer style if you want it to be more trouble free.

#3 4 years ago

On a Paratrooper I restored several years ago, I converted it over to the modern parts.

#4 4 years ago

Modern parts being what they started using in the 1950s. lol.

#5 4 years ago

Graphite is pourus and soft... and provides it's own lube. I'd say there is defiantly value in moving to modern parts.
    That said; I don't have any experience with EMs much less of this era.

#6 4 years ago

What would happen is the wire post sticking down from the bumper skirt will get loose and it and the graphite ring will get burnt in spots especially if the skirt sticks. It is a tiny ring hanging by a wire screwed onto the bottom of the playfield with a wire soldered right onto it. And another wire soldered to the skirt pin.

It was basically a prototype of the modern unit and could work for decades, but since there are no replacements available, you gotta do what you gotta do.

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Had a replacement ring for one of them and used it. The spike was shot. So on the advice of Steve Young, used a small nail and that worked well. But another is now out of alignment, so can see that converting may be the only answer.

#8 4 years ago

One other option if the skirt pin is still good is to remove the graphite ring altogether, which sometimes happens on it's own, and bend the remaining metal ring a little smaller. I've done that on a few and am yet to actually upgrade any to the newer system.

As far as the conversion, it would probably just take a new skirt and switch assembly and spoon.

#9 4 years ago

That might be a good idea. W home use the copper would probably last quite a while.

Thanks

#10 4 years ago

I wrote this up in Gameroom Magazine ages ago but you can replace the graphite donuts with a brass ring. Here's the thumbnail summary:
    Donut composite (resized).jpgDonut composite (resized).jpg
    I drilled out some brass knurled nuts and soldered them in to the steel wire holder in place of the graphine donuts. The brass is still softer than the steel post so it shouldn't wear it down. It worked like a champ while I had the game anyway. You could probably make something out of brass sheet stock too. It wouldn't snap into place like the knurled nuts, but it should work just fine once soldered in.

/Mark

#11 4 years ago

Nice, great idea.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

One other option if the skirt pin is still good is to remove the graphite ring altogether, which sometimes happens on it's own, and bend the remaining metal ring a little smaller. I've done that on a few and am yet to actually upgrade any to the newer system.

This is what I’ve done. Works just fine.

4 years later
    #13 83 days ago

I carry the Carbon Contact Rings on flippers.com:

https://flippers.com/catalog_oc/carbon-contact-ring-5022?search=5022
    John:-#)#

5022-CarbonContactRing (resized).jpeg5022-CarbonContactRing (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-old-graphite-ring-bumper-system and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.